Cabelas and GAN Network
    Any insight on how Cabelas might be handling their affiliate program after distributing the email, show below? It doesn't seem like there is an option besides leaving the GAN network. (Bold emphasis mine)

I am reaching out to you today in regards to Google's advertising policies, and their resulting influence over our current partnerships with affiliate publishers.

In the coming days you will be receiving an email communication from Google Affiliate Network (GAN) speaking to implementing and aligning their search policies within their affiliate network. These policies will directly affect certain advertisers and the publishers promoting them.

Google's editorial policies prohibit any advertising of weapons or related items, and are fully outlined in Google's advertising policies found here. Under this policy, GAN will no longer collect or pay commissions on items that fall within these product categories. As you know, this will have a significant impact on Cabela's and its affiliate partners who promote and sell these products.

I wanted to personally reach out to you and let you know that Cabela's values the relationships we have with all of our affiliate partners. To ensure we continue a successful partnership, we are actively exploring options that would not restrict the promotion of these products, and we will have a solution in place as soon as possible

Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions or concerns you have.

Regards,

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Google's editorial policies prohibit any advertising of weapons or related items
    Looks like the program violates Google's core policies. If your site deals with weapons or related items you may have to move your links to an alternative network.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I can't think of anything more irresponsible than selling guns over the internet. If ever there was the potential of significant civil (and possibly criminal) liability on the part of an affiliate marketer, it would be in promoting the potential sale of dangerous weapons to criminals, the mentally ill, and to minors.

For one of the very few times ever, I applaud Google for taking this action.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

So if you have a hunting site and talk about reloading ammo you are a criminal?

No, but if you have a link to a site that sells guns, and a Jared Lee Loughner is pre-sold by your content, clicks that link, and manages to actually purchase a gun from your merchant, and then goes out and shoots a federal judge, a Congresswoman, and 10 other people, you can bet you're up to your ass in legal problems.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Cabelas doesn't sell guns online!

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Cabelas doesn't sell guns online!
    I don't know anything about weapons. Looks like Cabelas do have guns listed on their site:
    Cabela's: Shooting

So what's the message this email tried to deliver? Are we liable if we promote Cabelas on our sites? How about other outdoor/sports merchants? I believe I've seen quite a few outdoor merchants have some kinds of hunting stuff listed on their sites.

While many other sites DO sell guns online, apparently Cabelas tells potential gun purchasers to call a phone number to direct them to a local seller. Not much difference in the grand scheme of things - all part of the chain of commerce.

I believe Chuck has the correct view that any weapons, knife, arrow, bow, gun, ammo, etc, would all be in violation of Googles policy. I have no doubt that product links I serve from a handful of websites will need to be removed.

The point I was getting at is Cabelas affiliate program. How can Cabelas continue to run an affiliate program through GAN if they can't promote their core products through the affiliates? A company that promotes hunting - which includes weapons of many sorts - knowingly continuing business with a company that opposes those views is very conflicting.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Outdoorsman, are you outdoorsman.com ..out of Logan, UT?

No.

This is the notification received today from GAN:

Dear Affiliate Publisher,

We review our Advertising policies on an ongoing basis to make sure they best serve our users and under our current policy, weapons-related advertising is not allowed. Therefore we will no longer collect or pay commissions on weapons-related products through the Google Affiliate Network. We are currently working with all Advertisers who sell weapons-related products to implement this policy, which will be rolling out over the next few weeks.

Thank you,

Google Affiliate Network Service Team

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread