Google and affiliate sites
    Hi,

I am new around here but wanted to ask if anyone has an affiliate site using Popshops and how you get on with Google ranking you. The reason I am asking is because I have two sites - the first one is not an affiliate site and that ranks well, but my second site which I started building a year ago only gets around 90 visitors a day. Ive looked at Googles quality guidelines and they basically say that pure affiliate sites are unlikely to rank well at Google unless something unique is added to the site. Has anyone else had difficulties ranking with lots of Popshops on their site?

Thanks,

Kris

Ive looked at Googles quality guidelines and they basically say that pure affiliate sites are unlikely to rank well at Google unless something unique is added to the site.
    Usually when Google uses the word "affiliate" they are referring to cookie-cutter sites. Affiliate sites are more susceptible to duplicity of content than just about any other approach, and duplicity is the poison pill that kills any chance of good rankings in search results. Google does not necessarily have to penalize duplicate content; they don't need to, because duplicate content naturally penalizes itself.

Keywords, keyword density, and relevance of content mean nothing when a hundred or a thousand or a million other sites/pages have the same density of the same keywords as yours or content relevance that is equal to yours.

Differentiation is the key to good rankings.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

3. Thanks From:

Hi David,
    Thanks for your reply. I have Popshops featuring clothing for women in categories, so on one page I will have around 200 sexy black dresses. My content (which I have just started to create in greater detail) is based around "how to wear" and I have photos and tips etc, all written by myself. My Popshops are no follow. What I am confused about is I know of several "Popshoppers" who have been dropped by Google (Panda etc) but some are doing ok still, but to me, all their content is similar (unique to their audience and products) so I can't understand why some are dropped and others aren't. Perhaps it's to do with the age of the site and other factors which we arn't going to know for sure.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Something to remember about Popshops - you can edit the descriptions or write all new original descriptions. That is the way to separate yourself from other sites that use the same PS products.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

6. Thanks From:

Hi AH,

Im wondering, seeing as my Popshop links are a no follow, would the Seach Engines be able to read the duplicate content anyway. I don't suppose you know the answer to this do you?

Thanks

AH, I have just seen your signature. I am an anti vivisectionist and campaign for the cause. I hope the mods put this post up as I'm new here but wanted to let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris35 View Post
    Hi AH,

Im wondering, seeing as my Popshop links are a no follow, would the Seach Engines be able to read the duplicate content anyway. I don't suppose you know the answer to this do you?

Thanks
    Yes, they can.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Oh gawd. Ok thanks. Now wheres the button to thank people in these forums?

Nofollow is very poorly named. What it should be named is I'maskingnicelyforyoutonotfollowthislinkbutifandwhenyoudopleasedon'tcountitasanendorsementfromme.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby131313 View Post
    Nofollow is very poorly named. What it should be named is I'maskingnicelyforyoutonotfollowthislinkbutifandwhenyoudopleasedon'tcountitasanendorsementfromme.
    Ah, thanksfortheexplantionbecauseI'vealwayswonderedaboutthat!

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Hi AH,

Thanks
    Yes, I do - what the others have said

AH, I have just seen your signature. I am an anti vivisectionist and campaign for the cause. I hope the mods put this post up as I'm new here but wanted to let you know.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

This is going to be quite a challenge, ranking an affiliate site. You might be ranking well on day and get hit with a google slap next day. You need to make sure you have unique content (I rewrite affiliate product descriptions slightly), offer maybe reviews or other features, with affiliate part only being a tiny part of the overall content. Something that would add value to the internet, I guess. Still a very risky proposition.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread