Google to start tracking more on March 1st
    Google tracks consumers across products, users can't opt out - The Washington Post

And Google official blog post: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2012/...and-terms.html

No opt-out.. cripes..

I just removed my google accounts from Firefox, and will only check gmail via Chrome.

I've accepted that some aspects of browsing is tracked, but I don't want my own search terms to be used in creating my "profile" that shows up on other sites.
    Last edited by teezone; January 24th, 2012 at 07:43 PM.

2. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    So, they JUST announced what they've probably been doing for some time - more than likely to show what they feel they need to show to their stockholders.

Googlezon - Life imitating art?

But we have choices. Stop using their services. Or have multiple, fake accounts registered, multiple computers/devices with dedicated browsers, clear cookies/caches, and so forth...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Convergence, you have a real point..

I've always been open-minded about tracking technology.. I use Google's search service, and know that data collection comes with the territory. It was never an issue until now.

But today I switched to a dedicated browser. Chrome will be used for the 2 google services that require my login (gmail & analytics) and general search will remain anonymous on Firefox.

Unfortunately Google has recently made their own Analytics less relevant since they started blocking search terms via https (presumably hiding the data so they can start selling it to us later). Since 90% of my referrals are now [unknown], I created a webmaster tools account on Bing, hopefully to collect some keyword data.

This is a sad day for me, as I've been a Google search supporter since the days when friends insisted AltaVista & AskJeeves were the best

They have lost the simplicity that made it so darned good.

NYTimes has weighed in: http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...ms-of-service/
    Last edited by teezone; January 24th, 2012 at 08:24 PM.

5. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    I've always been open-minded about tracking technology. I use Google's search service, and know that data collection comes with the territory. It was never an issue until now.
    TY for all the info...it's mind-boggling beyond all belief! I followed this link in the comments about how they track & can personally identify you when you're on the IRS site:
    Devine Dev: Death, Taxes, and Google
    Rene
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Wow. superCool knew that G knows everything, but that irs article lays it out in even more detail. Very concerning! People may not be worried about google now (they do have a cute colorful childish logo after all, so they must be nice!), but that information can and will be used for no good at some point.

Skynet (or is it the Death Star?) is almost ready to go live. We don't have a chance

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    And Blogspot.com / Blogger.com where the above article is presented - is owned by the Google. Clear your cookies.

[EDIT] Even ABW uses GA. Can't clear that...
    Last edited by Convergence; January 25th, 2012 at 11:07 AM.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I can see why they're doing this. It's got to be hard juggling all the 'evil' going on in the various tentacles of G.

Con Artist Starred in Sting That Cost Google Millions - WSJ.com

WTF are they thinking dropping this right after SOPA. People are all fired up over protecting their internet and G comes along and says they're going to be watching you even more? It's like all the Disney Cruise Line commercials saturating Hulu right after the Italian crash. Basic marketing.

For the record, I love G and all their products.

Quote Originally Posted by calebtheredwood View Post
    For the record, I love G and all their products.

12. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    I haven't laughed so hard for a long time...Mr. Sal, you need to post more often.

Seriously, what G is trying to become? It was all good when my college professor first introduced a piece of search engine software invented by a couple of Standford students. Look what G has been doing all these years, first it acts like a peeping Tom, now it acts like a Big Brother...I'm starting to use Bing as my primary search engine, the search results are amazingly good so far.

14. Thanks From:

If you look back a few years, everyone was worried about Microsoft and their power and control. Now it's shifted to Google, and look who we're running back to (MS Bing)

Having read this stuff all week, my take is NOT that they are collecting more, just that they're tying it together. Everyone will feel differently, and likely strongly, about that. I see it as they are becoming a virtual assistant of sorts.

Not all positive, and not all negative.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I know they are trying to make the user experience seamless between services. Since G+ came out, I think they're trying to put everything on the top tool bar. Pretty sure it's a push for making their cross services ads work better too. Which means more $$ in their pockets.

They are now admitting that they tie it together . They've been stung a few times recently so they know people are trying to set them up and catch them playing dirty. Now with these changes they can be more open about sharing information internally without so much risk. Gotta be somewhat transparent these days ya know.

Good ole silly faced Google! Making everything easy for everyone.

ABW Ambassador
    Information sharing is not the problem. The problem is the G's monopoly position that we should worry about. After all those hot topics among affiliates on G account supenssion, G kicking out people who make some mistakes..., we see how powerful G is and how easy one's livelihood could be destroyed by G in seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by superCool View Post
    If you look back a few years, everyone was worried about Microsoft and their power and control. Now it's shifted to Google, and look who we're running back to (MS Bing)
    That brought us the famous antitrust case against Microsoft more than a decade ago. It's never a good thing to see monopoly in any part of the society. I'm a big believer of competition.

I'm sure this data was being collected all along, and yes, we agreed to it by using their search (I don't expect something for nothing). I'm just uncomfortable with my search terms feeding youtube, showing up in gmail, impacting +1 (and so on)... I just don't know what is being collected and how it will be used, whether it's served back to me, or otherwise. I can stop the profiling, and I have.

An interesting update.. I read that Google is stating openly they want to become a "portal" (will post the link when I find it again).. have they learned nothing from AOL.. Yahoo.. MSN....?

Here's a terrific business analysis (it's not a google is "evil" rant, it brings up some good points re: portals): What Happens When A Good Google Goes Bad | Lifehacker Australia

Independent search was their bread & butter -and they did it VERY well - I just don't understand this move.

Saw this on another forum and have to agree, paraphrasing...

If you aren't paying for a product, YOU are the product

I guess its kinda scarey in a way to think the likes of Google are using all this information and building profiles on people. What is their ultimate plan, do they want to take over the world???

Wondering what's their plan for tracking those information? How do they monetize this? They already have had a record quarter in terms of earnings per share last quarter, and average revenue they generate from user is at over $30+ yearly versus $3.42 for facebook. Wall street had punished the stock for slowing down in growth, maybe it is exploring new ways to squeeze more money from users via new form of ads.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread