Advice for Pinterest
    Are there any Pinterest users on the forum, I have just set up 1 Board with 3 pins but cannot figure out how to drive traffic to them.

Any ideas folks

Regards
    0 to $1m before I am 70, Ok maybe 71 !!! (April 2013)
    You Can Eat Our Noodles Without Gaining A Pound
    What is this life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare.

I just joined it myself and still don't really don't know how to use it yet, and I'm not sure how well it will work for affiliate marketing.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by daiarian View Post
    Are there any Pinterest users on the forum, I have just set up 1 Board with 3 pins but cannot figure out how to drive traffic to them.

Any ideas folks

Regards
    You don't really drive traffic to them, you drive traffic from them. Well, I guess you can drive traffic to them too.

I have their little Bookmarklet in my browser and it's basically bookmarking sites and pages you have an (P)interest in. Such as your sites and pages And it gets them out there and if somebody has an interest in them as well, can pass them along.

You have different boards you can make, think of them as Bookmark Folders like you have with your browser and you can organize the stuff you like into those boards. I've just recently signed up last month, still learning some of it. I guess I would call them Public, Visual, Bookmarks.

4. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    basically bookmarking sites
    It is bookmarking and I really don't expect it to do much more than StumbleUpon of Delicious did for driving traffic.

As someone who regularly uses pinterest (planning a wedding and more) I can tell you I've visited more new blogs and merchants because of it. I think Pinterest actually has a two fold use for Merchants. 1. potential to recruit bloggers (look for your niche- travel, weddings, children, etc) and click through some of the links. You might find some great publishers to promote your product. 2. If your site isn't well integrated to share with Pinterest you may risk loosing a referral. There is one wedding site that drives me crazy because I can't share what I'm considering purchasing with my friends on my wedding board. The merchant is loosing out, because they are missing the chance that my pick is actually going to go viral...

Anyway- just my two cents as a user.
    Julia Kozuck-Hochstein
    Head of Affiliate Marketing- Zoro.com
    affiliate@zoro.com

I was just reading up on this, and it seems that "merchants" can post in the Gifts section. I haven't gotten my invite yet, but it said that on the first post it puts a default url in there, but you can go back and edit that url to be your affiliate link.

Anyone tried this yet? I have a custom Amazon store in a niche that would be perfectly aligned, since the largest demographic for Pinterest is women. I was thinking of taking some of my gifts and trying both ways - a link back to my store and an affiliate link directly to Amazon to see what happens.

Since you can't submit affiliate products, legally, to Google Shopping with a datafeed, this might be a nice alternative for products.

Thoughts?

I'm really surprised how many affiliates are using Pinterest for affiliate links and endorsing products without any concern for the FTC disclosure guidelines.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

9. Thanks From:

Hi Tricia,

Oooh... good point. I made sure my sites have advertisers clearly marked, but didn't think about it in terms of social bookmarking. Hmmm.... I might still be able to do this with my Amazon store, as it's clearly marked as being Amazon products.

Requires more thought now... thanks for reminding me....

using Pinterest for affiliate links and endorsing products without any concern for the FTC disclosure guidelines.
    And without concern for the fact that it is not their own site. Spam is spam.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Pinterest using Skimlinks
    Hi everyone. If you are adding your affiliate links to Pinterest you need to read this.

Pinterest: Covert Affiliate Link Scheme Exposed | Search Engine Journal

Affiliate Manager Yulia from DNP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula7928 View Post
    Hi everyone. If you are adding your affiliate links to Pinterest you need to read this.

Pinterest: Covert Affiliate Link Scheme Exposed | Search Engine Journal
    it does not impact affiliates , pinterest works with "slimlinks" - on none affiliate links,if you are a plain costumers putting a link then yes, pinterest will have % from the order, but if its an existing affiliate links , with your affiliate id/number in the link , then pinterest will not touch it.
    [B]Yulia Borova
    Affiliate Manager - [B][url=http://DirectNetPartners.com][COLOR="Purple"]Tobacco Affiliate Program - GET 50$ Sign up bonus[/url][/COLOR][/B]
    Email: [email]Yulia@DirectNetPartners.com[/email] | Skype: DNPYulia | [url=http://www.facebook.com/pages/DirectNet-Partners/211572005534452]Our Facebook Page[/url][/B]

Affiliate Manager Yulia from DNP's Avatar
    [B]Yulia Borova
    Affiliate Manager - [B][url=http://DirectNetPartners.com][COLOR="Purple"]Tobacco Affiliate Program - GET 50$ Sign up bonus[/url][/COLOR][/B]
    Email: [email]Yulia@DirectNetPartners.com[/email] | Skype: DNPYulia | [url=http://www.facebook.com/pages/DirectNet-Partners/211572005534452]Our Facebook Page[/url][/B]

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Lynn Terry has a decent article about it.

Leveraging Pinterest for Affiliate Marketing

I did a blog post over at my Catalyst marketing blog about how to leverage Pinterest for (ethical) Local SEO and backlinks, so that does not really apply to affiliate marketing accept for the link building aspect. (Last I checked links were still do follow.)

But I almost hated to blog all my tips about the benefits of Pinterest, because whether it's AM or SEO you know the spammers and scammers are going to abuse it, then it will be harder for the honest marketers to use it.

16. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by daiarian View Post

Any ideas folks

Regards
    I'm new to the affiliate world, but the little traffic and occasional sale I get are mostly from Pinterest.

I use Pinterest on a daily basis, and like with anything else I think you have to use it to add value to the site. I find that unique or interesting items are the ones that get repinned the most.
    I know this sounds really simple but categorizing your boards will help other people find your pins, and making sure the image "tells the story" would help other want to repin it.
    I hardly ever repin anything that takes a lot of effort to explain what's happening in the picture.

Hope that helps!

18. Thanks From:

There is no way Pinterest will be immune to copyright violation claims, even though they have shifted the legal burden to the user in no uncertain terms:
    You acknowledge and agree that you are solely responsible for all Member Content that you make available through the Site, Application and Services. Accordingly, you represent and warrant that: (i) you either are the sole and exclusive owner of all Member Content that you make available through the Site, Application and Services or you have all rights, licenses, consents and releases that are necessary to grant to Cold Brew Labs the rights in such Member Content, as contemplated under these Terms;
    YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT, TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE ENTIRE RISK ARISING OUT OF YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE SITE, APPLICATION, SERVICES AND SITE CONTENT REMAINS WITH YOU.
    Users are liable, but the site can make money on the same user-submitted content..? I don't think that will stick..

I found approx 50 pins back to my site, in some shape or form - it generates some traffic, but few sales-opportunities.

I have been loving Pinterest for a long time now. The copyright issues did cause me to go back and delete every photo I had pinned from other sites. You have to be one who owns those photos to pin them. I deleted many of my boards and it was hard to do because I enjoyed it so much.

Now I am learning how to use the site without compromising my business. I can't afford to pay lawyers if I get sued for pinning someone's photo. My blogs do get traffic from the site, but nobody asked to use my photos. Might have to start watermarking them. I don't want Pinterest to think they own the copyright to my photos that got pinned to their site.

You don't have to always own photos to share them. There are free stock images, images available with rights released (morguefile) (creativecommons).

Images of products from retailers are unlikely to cause a big problem since the retailers are getting traffic/making sales from sharing them.

The ones to worry about the most is images from artists, photographers, paid image sites, etc. People who make $$$ directly from their creative work. They can and will sue to protect their income, rightfully.

IANAL

22. Thanks From:

You can communicate & follow your niche users to gain some visibility in Pinterest. Repinning their pins, like & commenting on their pins might grab you some attention. Persons who are doing women apparel business will benefit from it more than anyone because 80% of the users on Pinterest are Women.

As I understand it, you are likely to be in violation of Amazon's TOS if you pin one of their images and it isn't linked back to the product. For instance, pinning an affiliate Amazon image from a blog post that links back to the post instead of the product.

Does that violation hold true for other merchants too?

Exclamation
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    Does that violation hold true for other merchants too?
    You're absolutely right about Amazon Affiliate Links. I've read (don't remember the source where I read) that Pinterest has implemented keyword filtering for websites, if images from the filtered sites are shared they will automatically be deleted or simply you can't share them.

This is what is working for me on Pinterest now. I don't know if it is the correct way to do it, but I am getting the traffic. The affiliate links are in my blogs on my sites. So I pin my photos with the link to that particular blog post. When pinners go to the post, that is where the links are.

I get a lot of traffic from pinterest and it really is networking with others. You get to know them and what they like. Then I can find a product to promote and write a post about it and know which pinners who are my friends there will like it. I think a lot of pinners don't care for the product pushing on there. For myself, I only like etsy ones. You have to do it without looking like a spammer. I know whatever I pin, is going to be repinned. I have a whole network on there.

A popular type of board is based on color. I have a purple one already. Yesterday I made one that is black and white and have been getting a lot of my pins, repinned. So I can look for a post to do about products that are in that color range.

27. Thanks From:

28. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread