Google ranking question
    Hi

I'm fairly new at the Niche blog affiliate model. I have found what I believe to be a profitable niche, built the site and built some back-links.

After 5 days I am number 1 on Google for one of my keywords and top 5 for 2 others. The problem is this is only in the UK Google. The universal Google doesn't even list me in the top 100.

Do I need to do something differently to get listed in the universal Google search?

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony,

As far as I know, if Google "universal" consider your site relevent to your choosen keyword, it will filter through and you'll rank well as in google uk. At least thats what I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by tonytjlewis View Post
    Hi

I'm fairly new at the Niche blog affiliate model. I have found what I believe to be a profitable niche, built the site and built some back-links.

After 5 days I am number 1 on Google for one of my keywords and top 5 for 2 others. The problem is this is only in the UK Google. The universal Google doesn't even list me in the top 100.

Do I need to do something differently to get listed in the universal Google search?

Thanks

Tony
    Welcome to a fellow Welshman

I also faced this issue but was advised by someone on this forum to treat Google positions with caution as they are unreliable. I have also been told that when running searches from your own computer Google can give favour to sites you have submitted to them.

Use someone else's computer and see if you get the same UK results, as for the difference with global results don't let it hold you back, keep developing and adding content and the rewards will hopefully come.

On a lighter note, Fantastic win against Ireland this afternoon.
    0 to $1m before I am 70, Ok maybe 71 !!! (April 2013)
    You Can Eat Our Noodles Without Gaining A Pound
    What is this life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare.

Smile
    Hi Dai

Thanks for the reply.

I am aware that Google uses your profile to match your results but I am using a piece of software called rank tracker which eliminates that.

Having just checked it again today I am now ranking 46 for one of my keywords in the Universal Google results so I guess it just take a bit longer.

Thanks for the advice anyway.

And yes it was a good result against Ireland but I wish they wouldn't keep leaving it to the last 20 seconds.

Cheers

If your site is new (ie. 5 days old), you will be seeing lots of changes in ranking - both up and down - in the coming few months.

It's too soon to see meaningful results, but if your site is .com, you can set your targeted region in Webmaster Tools:
    https://support.google.com/webmaster...n&answer=62399

Personally, I would be very careful with that setting, as it might not have the desired results (ie. you could lose your .co.uk rankings). For now, I would watch (and enjoy!) the .co.uk rankings as it may give you some insight how to tweak future results.

Certainly link building plays a vital role to increase the visitors of your site. So you can do link building jobs to generate traffic to your site.

Hi

Thanks

Tony
    Is your url (domain name) a .COM ??? Also you should check your setting in Google Webmaster Tools.

But as other have said your site is only 5 days old so I would say you need to give it more time.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Quote Originally Posted by WebReviews View Post
    As far as I know, if Google "universal" consider your site relevent to your choosen keyword, it will filter through and you'll rank well as in google uk. At least thats what I've heard.
    sorry this is not always the case. country domain names or sites that give a perfered location in Google Webmaster Tools may rank higher in the identified country and not so high in others.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

9. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Other things to consider:

1. Is your site hosted in the US or elsewhere?
    2. What is your target country set to in webmaster tools?
    3. Where are YOU located? Regularly searching for your keywords will artificially "inflate" your search results. If you are in the UK the search engines know your IP and will serve up results based on your previous searches.
    4. Are you "logged in" at the time of your searches?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Hi All

Thanks for all the good advice.

To answer some of your questions:

I am in the UK.
    The Hosting is UK based.
    The domain is .net
    I have set the location to unlisted in webmaster tools.
    I use a rank tracking software to check the position so not affected by being logged in to G.

So Far I now have 1 of my keywords ranking at 46 in the Universal Google and 4 in the top 5 for the UK Google.

I am building backlinks through social bookmarking etc so I guess its just a waiting game

Tony

Affiliate marketing
    Tony you might be promoting your website on local platforms and local directories or you you might have been doing local link building practices more than that of global. For example if you have enrolled your company at Google places it's algorithm works on locally. Try doing some directory submisiion, creating hub-pages, Squidoo lense, and get some .edu links from educational sites and institutions. It will help you rank higher globally.

dude you site is 5 days old and you have got rank in Google. you have definitely used some Black hat methods. and without any doubt Google has noticed it and deleted your site. i think you should wait for a while and observe the result.
    [URL="http://bestsidebusiness.blogspot.com/"]Best side business[/URL]
    Ge idea about [URL="http://bestsidebusiness.blogspot.com/2012/02/content-locking-best-way-to-nonetize.html"]Content Locking[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by bestwebman06 View Post
    dude you site is 5 days old and you have got rank in Google. you have definitely used some Black hat methods.
    That's easy to do WITHOUT black hat methods. It is not unusual for a new site to get a quick bump at the beginning.

without any doubt Google has noticed it and deleted your site.
    Nothing gets deleted by the Google - site's just slip down as more people search for a site's targeted keywords and no one clicks on the links. A click is positive and a no-click is a negative.

i think you should wait for a while and observe the result.
    That's good advice...

I am in the UK.
    The Hosting is UK based.
    The domain is .net
    I have set the location to unlisted in webmaster tools.
    If no location is set in webmaster tools, the Google will determine where the servers are and try to associate server location with targeted SERPs.

Your rank tracking software - is that run locally on your machine through your ISP? If so, then the Google will still know that any queries, automated or not, are coming from a UK IP address, therefore any queries get weighted by the IP...

Hi

Thanks

Tony
    How is your site doing now? You would see your site's rank go up and down the SERPs since it's new. Google/search engines are still determining your website's relevance to your target keywords.

I suggest you keep on your backlink building, and make sure to get backlinks from websites within your niche that are not local to the UK. This should help you rank in Google.com. But the clincher there is if you get enough traffic from other countries, you'll be ranking in Google.com too.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

Whoa! A site just born 5 days ago & posses a Google rank so close to top definitely sounds fishy to me & might to Google as well. Perhaps that's the reason why your rankings are being manipulated. Like bestwebman05 says, I would urge you not to use any of those BlackHat methods.

18. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread