Good affiliate marketing newbie tips here.
    Hello and Thanks for having me. Today I came across ABW for the first time. WOW!! I am sure I will spend days here researching my newest endeavor. I would like to lay-out the steps I've taken to establish a viable niche affiliate site but I would like to share with you a little background first. I have been in an industry as far removed from the computer world as imaginable. That being said, I am competent and familiar with a home computer, generally for shopping, news and entertainment. Due to a recent injury, I have had to reconsider the line of work I have been in for the past twenty years. The idea of creating an affiliate website came to mind. Its subject matter would mirror my career and life passion. I knew nothing about affiliate site creation but under the guidance of a computer savvy friend I have embarked on.....well I don't know what. With that being said I would like to spell out what I have done and get a bit of feedback. I have done a bit of research and believe my affiliate plan to be solid. I hope you agree......

Step 1: I identified the products I would like to sell and made sure the manufacturer had an affiliate program in place. (Done)
    Step 2: Purchased a domain name through Go-Daddy. (Done)
    Step 3: Embarked on an affiliate web site building adventure. Concentrating on content through a blog,reviews, photos and tips. (Done)
    Step 4: Days away from getting the site on line. (Unfinished)
    Step 5: Contact friends in my industry and give them free banner space for a limited time to help generate traffic.
    Step 6: Contact affiliate program managers like CJ and Avantlink and hopefully get approval from the companies I want that they represent.
    Step 7: Stock my online shelves with the products I intend to sell as an affiliate of the manufacturer.
    Step 8: Continually refresh my blog, reviews, photos and tips to keep content fresh.
    Step 9: Make a modest amount through commission on sales and ad space.

Is this a pipe-dream or am I thinking clearly In a way, being so out of the loop on alot of the affiliate news/community has allowed me to proceed in a way that I'm sensing to be simple and pure. Not trying to pat myself on the back but after reading some threads here it seems alot of folks in the affiliate world are less than ethical. Then again maybe I'm a babe in the woods about to get eaten by the wolves, innocent and unknowing.
    Thanks in adveance.......Zootman

Welcome to ABW!

Your plan is very well thought out and realistic.. building a niche site from the ground up isn't easy, but you have isolated the key points. I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to achieve your goals.. however I should mention the importance of statistical tracking.

Don't forget to install google analytics or something similar (I use both GA and statcounter) - this is to gain insight into your traffic. Once you have a live site with visitors, your priorities will be split between generating new content, but also figuring out how to convert traffic to sales. If you build it, they will come, but they might not buy!

As for other publishers.. I say just do your own thing your own way. Above all, search engines like originality.. if you can set yourself apart, that's a good thing.

Thanks for the reply. Am I correct in my assumption that once a manufacturer approves my site and I am officially an affiliate I will be able to pick and choose the specific items I would like to showcase?

Banner price standards?
    Hi, its been a few days since I last checked in. I am a few days out from getting my site live. I am curious about banner advertisements. I have searched this forum and come up with some standard banner ad sizes. I am also aware that I can dictate the banner size based on my own page layout. I am wondering about prices to ask for banners. Of course, being a new site with little history I am going to be relatively expensive. I really have no idea though where to begin in terms of price of banner space. Are there any set standards or guidelines?

correction
    I meant to say my banner prices will be relatively inexpensive.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Unless you have traffic to your site you have no business selling banners

Sounds good, I'll generate some traffic through content before trying to sell banner space.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    There are several ways you can sell ad space.

1. For a fixed period of time. IE: Pre-sold for a specific month.
    2. By impression. IE: $x/1000 impressions.
    3. By the click. IE: $x/per click.

For #1, you have to have traffic as Chuck said. You want merchants to get as many ad views as they can during that specific month. You want to set a limit on how many merchants you will allow during a specific time period so each merchant gets maximum exposure.

For #2, you still need traffic, but the merchants' ads will continue to show until their impression limit runs out.

For #3, you SHOULD still have traffic as merchants' ads will continue to show until they deplete their deposit.

It's also best to have good ad serving software to allow you to control all of these. You also need to have pre-determined ad spots (zones) and your software should be able to automatically show ads in different zones. Meaning you have to give your advertisers options.

Possible revenue per ad type:

For #1, You need to know exactly how many visitors / page views you are getting for a specific month. Then based on what you determine for #2, adjust accordingly.

For #2, $10-$20 per 1000 impressions. Site has to be very niche and targeted.

For #3, Very targeted ads and zones you could ask .40-.50 / click on average. But merchants want targeted / qualified traffic.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

welcome zootman. just a few thoughts...

- if you have friends in the industry, also see if you can get some links to your site and pages from other related sites

- amazon has a good affiliate program and many people use them for items that can't be found on other merchant sites

- look into the many ways to promote your site online - research SEO and learn how search engines work

- consider setting up a social network presence for your new company/site

good luck

10. Thanks From:

Thanks all, I am doing what has been suggested. My understanding is that the social networking ( I have a new FB account and a new Twitter account) will generate waves so to speak. It seems the search engines like to see energy when it comes to new sites. My hope is that through the site content, the tweets and the ability to disperse my web site name through my social networking outlets some energy will be generated. I wonder, however, how long should I let my site be online before I start applying to CJ and others for my affiliate position? I know they want to see traffic, they have told me as much. Its a bit of what comes first, the chicken or the egg. Having product means getting traffic and yet they tell me I need traffic to get product.I am unsure as to how tough it is to get on board? Do these affiliate managers reject 10%, 30% or 80% of prospective applicants? Any thoughts?

Hi everyone. Once again "Thanks" for the help. I'm a few days from going live and will of course submit my site to the review page here. My gut tells me i've done the right thing but I truly value a view from the outside. I wonder about links from my sites to my prospective merchants. Initially, if I promote the brands I would like to eventually become an affiliate of is that considered presumptuous? I'm assuming big brands would never scoff at a free link to their site but maybe they would and maybe this is bad practice. I'd like them to see that I am on their side but on the other hand, I link to them and my viewer is gone. There is always the "back" button but I hate to send someone away with the "hope" that they return. What do you all think about this one. Should I hold my cards close and keep everyone on my site or offer resources straight away. Thanks folks

Alright , I'm psyched. This is where I stand. Pressing ahead with this launch. My layout is finished, initial content in place. Site is on a server, functioning great. I have contacted industry friends and offered free banner space. Giving them a week to submit one. Social media is set. Its gonna be a few last minute tweaks and then it gets sprung online. Wait a bit, hopefully get traffic, apply to be an affiliate. This where I start, right? Cause that all I have. Any key tools one might recommend I utilize from the get-go?

so I guess I'll keep talking....maybe just to myself but i just read a long thread about what an affiliate manager looks for in an affiliate. Outreach was considered very important. Am I reaching out to the company directly? or to the affiliate manager? Affiliate applications seem very impersonal; your domain name and some written explanation of your purpose. Guess I'm not sure what to expect and from whom

Zootman , sounds like you are heading down the right path. Haven't seen your review request so don't know if you created a masterpiece or a crayola site. You first need to be accepted by the network and if rejected circle back. Several have sponsored forums here and are easy to reach. If you run into trouble reach out to the OPM's for help.

Yeah, feel a bit like a beater here, I'm looking through ABW for the site review page? Where is it?

Try the Forums link at the top of all pages.
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; February 28th, 2012 at 12:29 AM.

Well, phase one is done. I wanted to wait a week to get the final tweaks done.Thanks for the info I will be posting my site for review now in the sections you informed me about. See ya there

Unhappy
    well, unfortunately no bites in terms of opinions or reviews. Any response would be greatly appreciated.

post that in the review thread

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    post that in the review thread
    He did

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/site-...ed-154175.html

Unless, Chuck, you meant post his comment about "no bites"...

Ya I meant it does no good to post about the review in this thread, post about it where its relevant.

24. Thanks From:

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread