How to get started with PHP
    Hi,

I have a good knowledge in designing HTML and Css code. And have knowledge in C and C++ programming. I am looking forward to go for PHP website development. I found many online tutorials to learn the basic php and have downloaded some video tutorials too. But i want to know that is it possible to learn php as professional developer or should i need to go for the professional training for that ?

You may have a look at these two treads that I started last year when I wanted to learn PHP:

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/progr...nt-145637.html

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/progr...es-145643.html

Hope it Helps
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

If you have idea about HTML, CSS, JAVA script then it is easy to learn PHP.
    You don't need any professorial tutor to teach. Better to learn Mysql also it is very helpful.

No, I wouldnt recommend finding a professional tutor.
    Just google for specific functions you want to program, and you will always find what you need.

developer+marketer
    PHP is a wonderful language that makes jumping from HTML/CSS easy. It is(/can be) in-line. It's very similar syntax to C++/Java. But all that ease makes it VERY EASY to write poor code. I hope your C++ background taught you to structure things well. Editing things in-line is easy, but it's poor design.

Most major projects follow some type of MVC framework these days. Separate your model and views. I am a fan of Smarty templating system. It's fairly lightweight and easily abstracts your logic from design. You can have your HTML/CSS in one file and just pass the variables from PHP that you calculated/grabbed from a database/whatever.

But more broadly, PHP has been around so long that many of the tutorials are outdated/wrong/recommending bad practices. I would recommend checking out PHP: The Right Way which is trying to be the place with updated and correct info.

kohashi, What is a MVC and could you point me in the direction of learning how to use them. I have a really good grasp on PHP, MySQL, HTML and CSS but would like to learn how they are used in larger projects.

Quote Originally Posted by kohashi View Post
    PHP is a wonderful language that makes jumping from HTML/CSS easy. It is(/can be) in-line. It's very similar syntax to C++/Java. But all that ease makes it VERY EASY to write poor code. I hope your C++ background taught you to structure things well. Editing things in-line is easy, but it's poor design.

Most major projects follow some type of MVC framework these days. Separate your model and views. I am a fan of Smarty templating system. It's fairly lightweight and easily abstracts your logic from design. You can have your HTML/CSS in one file and just pass the variables from PHP that you calculated/grabbed from a database/whatever.

But more broadly, PHP has been around so long that many of the tutorials are outdated/wrong/recommending bad practices. I would recommend checking out PHP: The Right Way which is trying to be the place with updated and correct info.
    Thanks,
    Doug

An MVC separates the different layers of code from one another. Think of it like object oriented programming. You have Models, Views, and Controllers. We use the Zend framework for all of our projects (heavily modified). It helps when you have a lot of functionality that can be reused in other places.

As for the OP's question. Just jump in. If you have the background you listed, you should have no problem picking up php. Start by building something you can actually use. Run into issues and look up solutions. That's the easiest way to get started.

I got PHP and MySQL Web Development by Welling and Thompson. Since you are learning PHP you might as well learn how to interface with the database will you are at it.

PHP is not hard. Its a lot more forgiving than many others.

Quote Originally Posted by joedman77 View Post
    I got PHP and MySQL Web Development by Welling and Thompson. Since you are learning PHP you might as well learn how to interface with the database will you are at it.

PHP is not hard. Its a lot more forgiving than many others.
    Thank you for the citation.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

11. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread