Counterfeit Rings and Google Search
    Anyone else notice all the counterfeit sites found in the SERPs...??? I have been watching the SE's for the last two years waiting for something to happen with these sites... and it never gets better it only gets worse. Two years ago it was only a handful of sites... now it is CRAZY and goes on to the 10th -20th pages of results...

A search for "Cheap North Face" returns 80% counterfeit sites...
    A search for "Moncler Jackets" returns 90% counterfeit sites...
    A search for "UGG Outlet" returns 70% counterfeit sites...

any site listed with northface - moncler - ugg in the domain name is a counterfeit site... accept of course the legit domain for the brand.

Why are they showing up in Google so prominently when the sites are pretty much cookie cutter spam sites with jumbled paragraphs of keywords...??

Because they all have shopping carts.. or what...??

Some of these sites don't even sell anything they just take the money and never ship an item... most actually send a counterfeit item... it may be the wrong item but it is counterfeit... ( I get emails from people that have been ripped off and I tell them to report the crime to Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) | Home )

They are also filling up the Google Product Search with counterfeit items...

If you do a WHOIS on the domains they are owned by different people.. but all with the same kind of address and email... some say they are located in the USA and others says they are located in CHINA - TAIWAN - SOUTH KOREA etc...

If you dig deeper and start looking at the sites that link to these sites you'll see spammy blogs with keyword stuffed nonsense post with links to the domains and hundreds of Google Plus profiles that link to them...

The shear numbers of domains is INSANE and the domain names are spammy as hell...
    If you look in Yahoo and Bing you get the same results... hundreds of sites that are obvious counterfeiters.
    So why isn't Google catching these sites with all the panda "quality" updates..???

I know for a fact that the brand names mentioned are trying their best to get these sites shut down... but cannot do it...
    Moncler even has a "counterfeit site list" on it's site that shows domains listed in Google...
    Fake Info
    and
    Moncler Stop Fakes

UGG has gone as far as putting up a "counterfeit detection form"
    Counterfeit Warning: “UGGs on Sale”, “Cheap UGGs” & Discount UGG Boots

============================
    So why isn't Google more proactive in removing sites that even the trademark/copyright owners request to be removed...??? Doesn't Google care about the QUALITY of the results.. Or do they only care about the quality of "Affiliate" sites in the SERPs...?? (which seems to be the case)

So first of all... has anyone else noticed this counterfeiter trend...??
    Second of all... does any one else have an opinion of why this has been "allowed" to go on for the past two years and get worse instead of better...???
    (I say "allowed" because it has been brought to everyone's attention and the sites are still there with more sites added daily)
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; February 8th, 2012 at 07:33 PM.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Excellent post Addhandler, with your permission I would like to link out this thread so it can get more attention. The intent is to get the brands to see this and do something about it.

Having managed programs that sold The North Face and Ugg products I had to walk a tightrope with the brand. Any affiliate that cross the line with the brand had to be immediately removed.

There is a number of companies that can regain these domains through defensive registration. It takes an affiliate manager to work with the merchants but they are so brand sensitive they say they can do it themselves. That usually takes a team of in-house lawyers which is very expensive.

Hey Chuck... Long time... =)
    Sure -- post it where you see fit... But the brands know all about them...

I know that "The North Face" has a team of in-house lawyers I even have their email addresses.. =) but they do not respond... they haven't done anything that I know of... but they don't fill me in regularly.. =)

I just find it ridiculous that the sites are still listed in Google when they are such obvious FAKE sites with super SPAMMY techniques to rank HIGH... They accept "MONEY GRAMS" and "WESTERN UNION" and none of their "VeriSign" information is LINKED... so there is no way to verify their account with Verisign... ( I have also reported this to VeriSign -- no response)

Their shopping carts aren't even on a secure encrypted HTTPS domain... they are just carts in a folder....

At first I thought that Google was allowing the sites to rank so maybe the lawyers could build a bigger better case against them... but that doesn't seem likely after this amount of time...

The main problem I see is that the WHOIS information is wrong and if no one is there to get the cease and desist then nothing gets done... and even if they were there they don't care because they are counterfeiters =)

ICANN is worthless when it comes to preventing or stopping this type of thing... ICANN in my experience is a HUGE WASTE OF TIME...

Now, I kind of think that these sites are being allowed to stay in the SERPs to get more exposure for any SOPA legislation that can be passed... Who would benefit the most from censoring the web..?? GOOGLE simply because they would probably be involved in the censoring process somehow and NEVER be subjected to it...

I don't really know... what is going on or why... but it is something that needs to be watched and learned from...

So why isn't Google catching these sites with all the panda "quality" updates..???
    I think panda was more about 'onsite' factors. These sites seem to fit g's superficial requirements for onsite factors.
    No ads, esp. no affiliate ads.
    A 'shopping cart' (real or fake),
    Contact and Privacy page.

These sites are ranking for some pretty competitive keywords. Their link 'quality' sucks, but they have 1000's of entries or comments on crappy blogs and forums like you mentioned. One I checked at random was over 60,000. So much for needing quality links to rank!

A lot of times they aren't even links, just straight text. I think g might reward sites for just being 'mentioned' on so many different domains. Kind of a weird branding factor or something.

Hay Guys, Its kinda funny that you's brought this topic up today, as only a few hours we were watching the news while have dinner, and there was a featured section on all these fake sites.

How some of these sites are only up for a month or two and then disappear, with the customer never seen any product for the goods they've orderd and paid for.

And also as soon as there taken down, another one springs up in its place.

Its just crazy I think, how these guys are getting away with it, and as you said - How the hell are they ranking so high within the search engines? Google slaps eticals marketer and their sites for making small errors in judgement, yet these scamers are making millions a year!

WebReviews...
    Funny you should mention this:: "Google slaps ethical marketers and their sites for making small errors in judgement"

I just had an entire site disappear from Google because I had an "Important File" blocked in my Robots.txt file and Google couldn't crawl it... Last I heard.. Google is supposed to do what I TELL THEM TO in MY SITES ROBOTS.TXT file NOT the other way around... but I had to change the robots.txt file or be banned from Google...

Google is going after total internet domination and imposing a lot of anti-competitive regulations on sites it chooses to list... more news at 11...

Hay AddHandler
    Your trying to help them by improving the way they crawl your site and the stick you for it, its terrible really. But I don't think there's much we can do about it. WORLD DOMINATION is their next step!

How some of these sites are only up for a month or two and then disappear, with the customer never seen any product for the goods they've orderd and paid for.
    I had someone at an Affiliate Summit several years ago tell me that he could put me in touch with a black hat affiliate who could get sites ranked quickly. He would build a bunch they would last a month before Google booted them. Then he would build another round. I think this is a sub culture that has been around for a while.

Links added, will check back in a day or two to see if they got any traction. Good ol' ABW still has some authority. Nothing thrills me more than linking a forum on some shady character and have it rank if a day or two. They usually contact me directly asking to have it removed. I tell them they are welcome to post on the thread and exonerate them self. They have have!
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; February 8th, 2012 at 07:38 PM.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Links added
    ???
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

First post did not contain any links to the merchant site.

11. Thanks From:

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread