How To Monetize My Podcast
    Hey all,

New here and in search of some answers. I have a successful podcast. Gets 200,000 downloads per month on average with about 70% of them being unique downloads.

I also have a website that ties into this podcast but that gets minimal traffic in comparison to the podcast itself.

How can I monetize the podcast? I feel that CPM advertising would fit my podcast best.

Look forward to hearing everyones input.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    CPM for the podcast or on the website?

Quote Originally Posted by matty1551 View Post
    Hey all,

New here and in search of some answers. I have a successful podcast. Gets 200,000 downloads per month on average with about 70% of them being unique downloads.

I also have a website that ties into this podcast but that gets minimal traffic in comparison to the podcast itself.

How can I monetize the podcast? I feel that CPM advertising would fit my podcast best.

Offer sponsorships, see if advertisers would be interested in paying you in advance for a 3 show run as a test.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

4. Thanks From:

Question
    I agree with akagorilla.. hope you'll do it bud. Good luck

Hi matty1551,

You might want to advertise your site through your podcasts. At the end of each podcast, inform your audience that if they want a re-cap of the podcast they can head on to your site. Then on your site publish a written article about your recent podcast as a re-cap. It's a lot of work but the results make it worth the extra labor.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

How can I monetize the podcast?
    I think right now and for the forseeable future the key is to spread your monetization strategy over multiple sources. Adwords, sponsorship, direct ads, premium content, affiliates, merchandise, etc. The idea of a premium on demand podcast in addition to an ad-supported free podcast sounds interesting.

Talk to Daniel Clark. He is the podcasting master!!
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Affiliate Manager
    I would try to test a few different methods - AdWords, affiliate programs, a sponsor or two if you can swing it. When you see what performs best, you can do more of it.

Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by matty1551 View Post
    Hey all,

Hi Matty,

All of the advice you've been given are good and would be best for you to monetize your podcast.

You can try to make an info product first, an e-book or physical book for that matter. It's what Patrick Schwerdtfeger did to his podcasts. It was being offered in a MP3 sharing site and then he turned these podcasts into text by hiring a transcription service. He arranged it in a cohesive format and self-published his book on Amazon. He monetized and leveraged his podcasts and it gave him speaking opportunities.

I also know of Jason Fladlien who repurpose his webinars and transforms them into info products and sells them. If you want I can give you some resources to read if on how to monetize and leverage your content in your podcasts.

Joseph

11. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    I agree with the Gorilla - I'd shoot for sponsorships from merchants that make sense with your content and also do the transcription thing to see if you can drive people to your site to get some revenue there. You have a pretty solid following and you should be able to work some sponsorships on those numbers as long as they are verifiable.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by affilorama View Post
    Hi matty1551,

You might want to advertise your site through your podcasts. At the end of each podcast, inform your audience that if they want a re-cap of the podcast they can head on to your site. Then on your site publish a written article about your recent podcast as a re-cap. It's a lot of work but the results make it worth the extra labor.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
    I agree with Affilliorama 100%. Having a written text posted on you website will boost your SEO even more because words and phrases can be indexed by Google and you will have new content each time you have a podcast. Google loves new content. It's a clean way getting search engine juice and a great way of monetizing each and everyone of your content. You can turn your podcast transcription in webinars, presentation, ebook, physical book, itself, or even tutorial.

Just give a good call to action at end, but even much preferred is if you can insert a mini-call to action at beginning of your podcast, then also reminding your listener to go to your website if they want more information at the middle of the podcast, and then when you're about to wrap the podcast itself at the end, mention again your call to action. I believe it will have an immense impact on your bottom line in terms of traffic and opt-ins on your website, and later on sales on any products you might want to sell as you develop a relationship with your audience or "tribe" as others call it.

Hope that helps.

Another way is to delay by 2 weeks or so your update on iTunes of the podcast, and in every podcast that you make now, have a call to action that informs your listeners or followers that if they want to listen to the updated podcast, they can go to your site.

When they do get there, have a tab where they can click so that they entered their email address, you get their email address. In return, this email capturing tab should be connected to an autoresponder that would have a 2-step verification process. This would enable you to know that the email is genuine or not.

After they verify their email address and you thanked them for it, give them the link of the updated podcast. That way, they have the podcast and you have their email address. I think that's what some of my clients do with their podcast when I'm doing their transcription projects.

I think it's a great way to get them in your sales funnel as a prospective buying client in the future when you have established a deeper relationship with them by being in front of them through your email newsletter.

Joseph
    [REMOVED LINK]
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; July 27th, 2012 at 05:54 AM. Reason: No manual signatures or links. Read the forum rules.

"Last edited by BurgerBoy; Today at 05:54 PM. Reason: No manual signatures or links. Read the forum rules."

To BurgerBoy,

Sorry about that. I didn't know about the putting a link in the post is not allowed. It won't happen again. Thanks.

Joseph

16. Thanks From:

VP of Business Development
    Be careful Matty...

While there is a lot of good advice below, it could just as well be the downfall of your podcast if followed blindly. If you've had little or no monetization of your podcast to date, that may actually be one of the key things your audience enjoys and a reason for your large following. Don't blow it.

My advice, move very, very slowly in making any changes. Adding show notes to your website is a no brainer. Do it asap and monetization your site - people expect this. However, avoid any old school, interruption style marketing (i.e. commercials); it's dead, even in podcasts.

Find ways to engage with your audience and cement your place as a thought leader in their lives. Once you've done that, they'll follow you anywhere and are much more likely to buy what you endorse.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread