Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager
    Affiliates not responding to offers
    Hi,

My affiliates are giving me traffic, but they didn't respond to my personal emails and sales target offers. Each month I give them a realistic target to achieve, few of them achieve, but majority didn't turn a deaf ear to my offers.

I appreciate your feedback!

We only sent weekly newsletters to them, no further interaction.
    Does that make us a bad merchant? I am not sure.
    However, I want/wish more communication between me and our affiliates too.

Lightbulb
    With all due respect, perhaps they don't appreciate being treated like employees?

Many affiliates are signed up with anywhere from several dozen to several thousand different merchants on different networks. The flood of email offers from merchants just flows by like water in the creek; almost nobody is actually going to read them all, let alone take action.

In the case of affiliates who are already active and successfully promoting your program, but don't act upon your "target offers"... chances are their methods are geared more toward long-term, ongoing, stable promotion that does not involve grabbing at different straws or jumping through different hoops every month. This might be harder to perceive from your end, as you are working for one company and maybe pushing only one different promo offer each month, but imagine trying to juggle a hundred or more new balls each month and you'll see why you aren't getting much interest/response from most affiliates.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

I have to agree with Herb. Affiliates are not your employees, they are your partners. From my experience, it's hard to get a high response rate from emailing them. You have to be creative and have something interesting to offer. It is not their responsibility to reply to merchant's emails and achieve certain goals. But, once you find the right approach, many of them will be open to communication.
    Affiliate Manager for [URL="http://www.printcountry.com/affiliates"]PrintCountry.com[/URL], [URL="http://www.usnavysealstore.com/affiliates"]USNavySEALStore.com[/URL], [URL="http://www.testcountry.com/affiliates/"]TestCountry.com [/URL]
    Twitter: [URL="https://twitter.com/#!/PC_Affiliates"]@PC_Affiliates[/URL], [URL="https://twitter.com/#!/USNS_Affiliates"]@USNS_affiliates[/URL], [URL="https://twitter.com/#!/Affiliates_TC"]@Affiliates_TC[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.linkedin.com/in/olgastoyan"]LinkedIn[/URL]

6. Thanks From:

99% of your affiliates may never respond. Ever. But don't give up.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    My affiliates are giving me traffic, but they didn't respond to my personal emails and sales target offers. Each month I give them a realistic target to achieve, few of them achieve, but majority didn't turn a deaf ear to my offers.
    You obviously don't have a direct relationship with them and they will not accept your goals (or those pushed on you from upper management). Start treating them as busy business people and as partners not as commissioned call agents you can talk down to.

9. Thanks From:

I'm not sure it's safe to assume they're talking down to their affiliates. The tone in their communication could be entirely congratulatory or positive in nature.

It is safe to assume, though, that many of these affiliates are working with hundreds, if not thousands, of other merchants. This merchant's program may be small, and thus not yet worthwhile for the affiliates to really maintain that direct relationship.

I would suggest keeping at it, but that clear and relevant communication is a must. I would also suggest not constantly setting sales goals for your affiliates. Occasionally doing a sales 'contest' could be attractive to your affiliates. You could maybe do this once a quarter or every six months or so (potentially around when your business may trend higher due to seasonality, if that's a factor), but monthly goals are a bit much. Once you begin to impact their take-home $s in a bigger way, you'll notice more involvement. If you have the budget, I would even suggest reaching out in regards to paid placements on their sites. Stay enthusiastic about your business; it's tough work.
    [SIZE="2"][COLOR="DimGray"][B]Online Marketing Manager[/B] (tom.featherstone at surlatable dot com)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]Sur La Table - The Art and Soul of Cooking[/COLOR][/SIZE]

11. Thanks From:

An remember that your single biggest point of contact is the subject line of your email. You may have to experiment with different subject lines to get them to respond. I remember the first program I managed full time took me 90 days to get the big affiliates to respond. The trigger was when I was able to ask, What would you do for double commissions. I tripled the program in six months.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    ..., What would you do for double commissions...
    That would get my attention.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, theres no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks every one for your valuable feedback!

My step in affiliate marketing was totally accidental. I am 3 months old in this field and believe affiliate marketing is simply a test of your patience.

I communicate with my affiliates to achieve certain targets each month and once achieved I raised their commission to 5% for all transactions in that month. I don't know why this not appeal them?

I agree with Chuck's that I should treat them as busy businessmen, but can I grow my program with this mindset?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Aff@ View Post
    I communicate with my affiliates to achieve certain targets each month and once achieved I raised their commission to 5% for all transactions in that month. I don't know why this not appeal them?
    As others have said, we work with dozens and sometimes hundreds of merchants. Just imagine if each and every one of them attempted to set "goals" for us.

I, like many other affiliates, count on affiliate marketing as my entire source of income. As such, I can't afford to hang my hat on you reaching YOUR targets every month. I have to focus my efforts on those programs that have proven to be consistent revenue generators.

I have no way of knowing whether your commission is competitive or not since I didn't catch what industry you're in, but if I have to jump through hoops to receive a fair commotion I'll probably just avoid your program.

Attempting to treat affiliates as a traditional sales force will never work. Someone once compared managing affiliates to herding cats.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

I raised their commission to 5% for all transactions in that month. I don't know why this not appeal them?
    What is your normal commision rate??
    What is your cookie length?
    What type of products do you sell??
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Yes an increase to 5% sounds very weak. Give us some more details if you want sincere recommendations.

As mentioned previously, giving affiliates sales targets based on how much you need the program to bring in is not the way to go. Affiliates will generally promote the merchants that bring in the most revenue for them. Your best bet for getting affiliates' attention is to start with the affiliates that are already selling for you. Those are the ones who will most likely be interested in hearing what else you can do for them.

Instead of saying, "I need you guys to meet these numbers," try "I'm looking to get some more exposure on your site. I can offer $x for a paid placement or x% rev share increase for a set time period. What do you have available?"

19. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    We provide legal documents/contracts over the internet. Our target market is both B2B & B2C. Our regular commission rate is 25% with 90 days cookie. Few of our affiliates generating good revenue and have 30 & 35 % commission respectively.

We cannot go beyond 35% commission right now. To grow our programme, I offered affiliates a monthly targets say: achieve 500 in sales and we will increase your commission from 25 to 30% for all transactions in that month. Plus, we communicate the below criteria to increase commission pie on regular basis to all affiliates after their joining:

If monthly sales between 700-900 commission rate is 30%
    If monthly sales >900 commission rate is 35%

I hope the above details provide a clear picture to give your recommendations.

Thanks.

Affiliate Manager Yulia from DNP's Avatar
    Affiliates are receiving such emails from a lot different merchants, believe me.
    If you are really interested in more personal communication i would go for skype .
    And ill have to agree that with so many emails, you will have to offer something better.
    [B]Yulia Borova
    Affiliate Manager - [B][url=http://DirectNetPartners.com][COLOR="Purple"]Tobacco Affiliate Program - GET 50$ Sign up bonus[/url][/COLOR][/B]
    Email: [email]Yulia@DirectNetPartners.com[/email] | Skype: DNPYulia | [url=http://www.facebook.com/pages/DirectNet-Partners/211572005534452]Our Facebook Page[/url][/B]

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    If monthly sales between 700-900 commission rate is 30%
    If monthly sales >900 commission rate is 35%
    Your wording could be confusing affiliates.

Is it 700-900 monthly TRANSACTIONS/SALES or $700-$900 in sales?

Slight differences in British/Proper English and American English...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I would recommend that you give them the bump while they are stretching toward their goal. Depending on the affiliate (and the commission bump) they may not think it's worth their effort to reach a goal, because they don't think it will have an impact.

Instead, let them see immediate gratification for what reaching their goal will do. I'll pair performance for a target with a current commission bump and a lock into that commission for a set time period (or based on performance moving forward) so they see what they could be making. It doesn't always work, but I feel it's a fair way to encourage current interactions and future interactions.

Also- making the goal based on your needs is shortsighted. Make the need based on a relevant goal for their own site. Make it based on their own sales volume, items sales, specific product, etc. By targeting the goal individually to them, it makes it more attainable because it's based on their site, their performance. What better way to show someone they can perform and make money from your program, than showing them how to build their own business (and in the process- yours). Talk to them about their own goals. I'm a firm believer in knowing your affiliates and understanding what they do and need.
    Last edited by GeekGalJuj; February 15th, 2012 at 12:01 PM. Reason: To Add another point.
    Julia Kozuck-Hochstein
    Head of Affiliate Marketing- Zoro.com
    affiliate@zoro.com

Hi,

I appreciate your feedback!
    I am in the exact same shoe! I am glad its not only me - I am out of ideas on how to get closer to them and be able to build a more personal relationship - please let me know what your conclusion is
    [URL="http://affiliates.oranum.com/ref.php?w=100803"]$100 CPA / 50% Commission / 20% Referrals[/url]
    [B][URL="http://affiliates.oranum.com/ref.php?w=100803"]We double your first, $100 you make with us [/URL][/B]

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate_Oranum View Post
    I am in the exact same shoe! I am glad its not only me - I am out of ideas on how to get closer to them and be able to build a more personal relationship - please let me know what your conclusion is
    Have you considered CALLING your producing affiliates? Success begets success. Happy affiliates have no problem speaking in public about programs that work for them...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

ABW Ambassador
    The replies here have, I think, already pointed out most of the reasons for a lack of response.

However, one thing that you should be doing is tracking the 'open' rate of your emails to affiliates. If they are actually reading your emails, then, while they may not take immediate action, at least you can be sure that your offers are getting across to them.

Chuck's suggestion regarding possible subject lines for your emails would go a long way to ensuring you get the highest possible open rate for your messages to your affiliates.

Good point, are you sending newsletters through the network and which network as I have had trouble getting them delivered before.

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Have you considered CALLING your producing affiliates? Success begets success. Happy affiliates have no problem speaking in public about programs that work for them...
    I would - if I had their skype IDs - which unfortunetly they dont always give or their phone numbers - :S

Trust me - I am considering the options- but it doesnt always work - I like the personal relationship - so it would be no trouble calling them - if I could.
    [URL="http://affiliates.oranum.com/ref.php?w=100803"]$100 CPA / 50% Commission / 20% Referrals[/url]
    [B][URL="http://affiliates.oranum.com/ref.php?w=100803"]We double your first, $100 you make with us [/URL][/B]

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks all for your valuable suggestions

Kate: Same here. Good to see that I am not alone.

Majority suggests considering affiliates as busy businessmen or they are bombard with emails and that's why they did not respond. I wondered can I grow my program with this mindset! I agree that affiliates are busy and have plethora of emails, but why they ignore emails from the company that is giving them regular income. Think this way: Why a shopkeeper ignores a company whose products make an integral part of his revenue?

I send personal emails to my active affiliates as each one has different targets. I very much like Yulia's idea of skype and Groupon's idea of talking to them about their own goals.

I will work on these lines and lets see.......

Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast