Cool Is there still room to make good money at affiliate marketing?
    Well, I've honestly been researching Affiliate Marketing for awhile and have dabbled in it but didn't put any serious effort into it. But now I feel I'm ready to make a serious commitment to doing Affiliate Marketing as a way to make some money. Can anyone tell me if this is still a good way to make some extra money and approximately how long does it take (a guesstimate) before I can see anything from it?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    First ask yourself this:

• How much money do I want to make?
    • Do I have the means/skills/drive to achieve that goal?

Yes, it is a good way to make extra money. For many, it's their only income. Length of time depends on the two questions above...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I have put a great deal of time into AM and after about 18 months have earned just over $600 most of this in the past 3 months.

There is no easy money it is a hard slog but you learn loads. This forum has many people willing to give good advice so read some of the relevant postings and if you are prepared to work hard, just go for it.

Best of luck
    0 to $1m before I am 70, Ok maybe 71 !!! (April 2013)
    You Can Eat Our Noodles Without Gaining A Pound
    What is this life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare.

Thanks so much for the help! I know affiliate marketing has been around for awhile and was just worried about market saturation...i.e. too many doing it so there's not enough left to profit from.

But from your posts I can see that there's always room for more! I've designed my website now it's time to sit down and realistically put together what product(s) I want to market and how much I want to earn.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by hotspotaffiliate View Post
    Thanks so much for the help! I know affiliate marketing has been around for awhile and was just worried about market saturation...i.e. too many doing it so there's not enough left to profit from.

But from your posts I can see that there's always room for more! I've designed my website now it's time to sit down and realistically put together what product(s) I want to market and how much I want to earn.

Thanks again!
    You have designed a website but have no product, I think this is the wrong way around!

I thought the website had to come first?
    First let me point out that even though I have a website designed it is not up and running. It is in the beginning stages and I am looking for strong affiliate programs to put on it before I go public.

Also in doing my research you have to have a website first.

Then the content you put on your website should reflect the affiliate program or programs you intend on doing.... I have read hundreds of Affiliate website information and this is what all of them are saying. A Content rich website built around the products you intend on representing.

According to new regulations that are now being put into place...most Affiliate Programs will not accept you if you do not have a website. I know what products I want to represent...but I have to have a website to put them onto.

How can I possibly market an affiliate program without a website?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Calm down, you asked for help and are now biting the hand that feeds you! If you are thinking that affiliate marketing is going to make you money in a certain time frame you need to spend your energy some where else. Approach this as a hobby and if successful you can make some money at it.

First let me point out that even though I have a website designed it is not up and running. It is in the beginning stages and I am looking for strong affiliate programs to put on it before I go public.

Then the content you put on your website should reflect the affiliate program or programs you intend on doing.... I have read hundreds of Affiliate website information and this is what all of them are saying. A Content rich website built around the products you intend on representing.

According to new regulations that are now being put into place...most Affiliate Programs will not accept you if you do not have a website. I know what products I want to represent...but I have to have a website to put them onto.

When I started in this game I was told that once I had decided on a product I should then seek a domain name to include the product name or as closely related as possible.

Having a website called blue.com and selling a product "red" would not be much help.

You need to launch your website with some general content about your website's purpose. Once you have some general content, then you can add merchants to promote with content unique to their product(s) and/or service(s).

I can't think of too many instances where you can get approved by a network without having a website. Once you're approved by a network then you can start looking for merchants and reach out to them during the application process explaining how you plan on marketing them successfully...

I guess that my last comment was taken as me being angry. Which in fact I was not, and apologize to all those who perceived it as such. I was only trying to clarify what I've been reading against the help I'm receiving (to which I am eternally grateful for).

Please try and understand that I am new at this and trying to absorb what I've researched vs. what's being said from experience. Which is very confusing in some ways to someone who is new to this arena. But it appears that what works for some doesn't work for others. I just wanted to see if it's still a good investment.

I've been considering this for some time so that is why I already have a business plan with a website design in mind. I am merely posting here to "pick the brains" from the experts who have actually done Affiliate Marketing and are making money from it. I don't quite understand all the "ins" and "outs" of Affiliate Marketing so if you disagree with what I'm doing it would be awesome to know why so I can understand and move on from there.

I want to thank you all for your comments and input.

I guess that my last comment was taken as me being angry.
    Stick around a while, you'll learn the individual personalities here.

Just remember, "Presentation and Perception" don't always match - in other words "What you say is not what others my interpret". No fault necessarily on either end. However, thanks for clarifying your "end"...

Yeah, I can see that.....but how embarrassing for me though. I guess it's a woman thing..HAHA....anyway...I just wanted to make sure and apologize to everyone who took the post as being abrupt and to say thank you to everyone who shared their own experiences with Affiliate Marketing with me. I really do appreciate the help and insight.

I just wish I had a little more experience with this first before I decided to post so I would have a better understanding of the process.

And just an FYI...even though I did a ton of research on this subject...I was still hoping in the back of my mind it was a "cut 'n paste" thing. Just kidding...blonde joke...

13. Thanks From:

There is always room, especially for money-driven and creative minds.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    No offense taken, was just pointing out that this is a long haul but can be very rewarding.

Glad to hear that!

At least that part of it I kind of knew going into it. I appreciate and respect all those who have started out and are still with Affiliate Marketing Programs as it is a tedious and lengthy process to earning a few extra dollars here and there.

But I am committed to doing what it takes, and have a few creative ideas to work it. Also, I'm not going into this with high expectations. I totally understand that I will get into it what I put into it and just basically starting out hoping to make just a few extra dollars. If I make more...great....if I happen to strike the proverbial gold mine with it....even better....but I know realistically that the basic process is a long road with lots of trials and errors.

I am trying to think about the positive side of Affiliate Marketing and my goals from what I want to get out of it. My sole purpose of writing here is for encouragement. To give me a little positive feedback through this.

I know I"m going to make mistakes....it's just knowing that it's worth the trip.

Thanks again everyone!

You're better off spending two hours putting your site up live than spending two days thinking about it and talking about it on a forum. The sooner you put it up, the sooner you'll learn from and be able to try fixing any mistakes you make along the way, and the sooner you'll reap the rewards for whatever you wind up doing right.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

18. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    You're better off spending two hours putting your site up live than spending two days thinking about it and talking about it on a forum. The sooner you put it up, the sooner you'll learn from and be able to try fixing any mistakes you make along the way, and the sooner you'll reap the rewards for whatever you wind up doing right.
    I have to say David's post there has a bucket load of wisdom in it for anyone wanting to "become an affiliate marketer" as so many of the newbie threads here claim.

I actually believe David's post ought to be some sort of "featured post" we can send so many of the new folks to. I would suggest they read and re-read it a couple of times -- then get to work on those sites.

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

.....it's just knowing that it's worth the trip......
    It is worth the trip but, as David says, you've got to get going.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    "You're better off spending two hours putting your site up live than spending two days thinking about it and talking about it on a forum"

Correct and quote of the day.

hotspotaffiliate, get that site up and running today and start building it for your shoppers, you will learn and earn at the same time. I see sites all day and some sites look new and 'ugly' but they are making money so don't worry about making it perfect and go live today. It may take a while to earn some money but focus.

Thanks everyone....

It's happening right now....wish me luck!

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread