Extract Data from a Data Feed
    I downloaded a product catalog from CJ in a compressed format.
    I need to upload it to my wordpress site but If I upload the compressed file it doesn't read the data feed.
    And when I extract the whole file it has thousands of products that I don't need and the whole file is about 300 MB.
    I only need about 1000 of those products. Is there a program or another way to get only the products that I need using keywords or other parameters from the data feed file?
    Unfortunately CJ doesn't give an option to export filtered products from a single merchant. Or am I wrong?

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Dump the data into a spreadsheet and then filter it yourself then convert it into any format you want it before uploading it to wordpress.

Please note there are faster ways to filter stuff in spreadsheets for long spreadsheets than the quickfilter feature it has. I'm sorry but if I was there for with I could show you in a few minutes, but its hard to explain here.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

I have written a script for each merchants feeds that reads the feed as is, then I cleanup the feed (via the script) and then I can dump the data to my database or back into a cleaned up txt file.

The advantage of doing a script is that you only have to create it once. using excel or something simular you have to edit the file everytime you want to update the products.

good luck
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

ABW Ambassador
    Hey Kse,

Any chance of making that script available commercially. Sounds like a real time saver to me.

Quote Originally Posted by markymark View Post
    Hey Kse,

Any chance of making that script available commercially. Sounds like a real time saver to me.
    I, too, would be very interested in looking at a script like that!

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

ABW Ambassador
    +3

Sorry, it would be of no use to anyone else since I write a different script for each merchant feed (but once you done one its easy to modify it for the next merchant), then I read each product and look for certain keywords and pick (and modify) the products I what to display on my site. So each script in hardcoded for the merchant.

However it’s really easy to create your own script if you know PHP or ASP all you have to do is:

Open the txt file

Create a loop until end of file

Read a record

Look of key word(s)

If you find a product you want to use on your site then you can
    - Write it to your database (or to a new txt file) and only write the fields you need. Or you can update the record in your database if the product is currently their (however I have not done this part yet.)
    - Also before writing it you can make changes to the text/images if you wish

Then go back and read your next record in the original txt file.

Then close txt file

Hope that helps..........
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread