ABW Ambassador
    This is the year the Internet officially stopped being fun. The festering problems of spam, spyware, viruses, worms and pop-ups boiled over, making the online experience merely annoying at best, financially and emotionally destructive at worst.

Users of Microsoft Windows found themselves in the bull's-eye -- years of inattention to security issues in Redmond, Wash., left them exposed to the Blaster worm, the Sobig virus, Messenger Service pop-ups, spyware infestations and worse, while Mac and Linux users missed out on all the "fun."

2 page article

Big Daddy Smokes
    Real American Tobacco
    FAST Shipping
    Residual Income
    Lifetime Accounts
    http://www.bigdaddysmokes.com/recruit2.html
    affmgr@bigdaddysmokes.com

I find it a bit ironic that my Google tool bar blocked a pop up on both pages of that article.

Sobig and Blaster exploited KNOWN bugs that had fixes out long before the worms/viruses.

Everybody loves to bash Microsoft, but come on, you gotta have some personal responsibility here. Keep your systesm updated.

Personal Responsibility - the lack of it is killing America!

Just Lurking
    My next OS is Linux. I'm tired of Windows. There is nothing on Windows I need I've even figured out how to replace the Google Bar Pagerank.

Microsoft recently dropped support for Windows 98. What gets me is how they can do that when Windows ME is 50% Windows 98? Not to mention the fact Not one of their OS's is a pure rewrite. They are based on code we already paid for!

------------------------------
    "A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Just Lurking
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zoe:
    I find it a bit ironic that my Google tool bar blocked a pop up on both pages of that article.

Sobig and Blaster exploited KNOWN bugs that had fixes out long before the worms/viruses.

Everybody loves to bash Microsoft, but come on, you gotta have some personal responsibility here. Keep your systesm updated.

Personal Responsibility - the lack of it is killing America!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Just a note my own system was unaffected by anything you mentioned. Matter of fact I've only been infected once but the virus came with the computer. IBM even took responsibility for that.

Most of my frustration comes from pushing MS OS's too the limit and far enough to break it. I also get tired of fixing my friends computers who are affected by the issues mentioned.

Microsoft is responsable for pushing NEW (HA!) versions of their software out the door as fast as they can just to make another 100+ bucks on a update. Of course who is going to buy an update when it doesn't have a lot of whiz bang new features but sacrifices have to made somewhere for the whiz bangs and those sacrifices have been in quality and security. They push their OS as suitable for the average consumer that is BS. I have a freind who after two plus years still needs to be told to click the right or left botton. He's not alone! The average consumer is total irresponsible because they are NOT computer experts nor will they ever be.

( off the box )

------------------------------
    "A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

IMHO- The internet is fun on any OS, even Windows.

Then again, I have a lot of systems in place to block ads/spyware.

First, I use Mozilla Firebird as my browser. (IE users, you don't know what you're missing.) The only thing better on IE is that it's version of the Google Toolbar displays pagerank. But I'm willing to forego that in favor of a pleasurable browsing experience. Every sort of ad can be blocked with this browser-- banners, flash, pop-ups- and it doesn't block anything that you don't want it to.

Spyware/Adware has never been an issue for me. I know what not to download. But every once in a while I give my computer an AdAware sweep.

Viruses- again, never been a big deal. But I keep Norton around just for safety.

Spam-- This one was the most difficult to get control of. First, I registered a domain, and got a host for it. I set up an email address that I released to nobody. For every new service/person I contact, I make a new forwarder for it. (eg, abw@mydomain.com, performics@mydomain.com, cj@mydomain.com, friend_number_1@mydomain.com) It's paid off big. I get zero spam. If I do receive any, I simply delete that forwarder.

But, even with all of this, I think Linux is a better OS (or will be, eventually).

Bryan Simonson
    bryan@smoothcorp.com
    SmoothCorp Affiliates
    iFLOOR.com/3%/sale/avg.sale=$800
    RugArea.com/12-14%/avg.sale=$400
    CornerHardware.com/6%/avg.sale=$80

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread