Affiliate Manager
    Legitimate SEO for Affiliate Linking Strategy Resources?
    Hi,

This might have been mentioned in an older post or in the search traffic forum. As an Affiliate Manager trying to improve organic search legitimately,Where can I find blog posts, websites, etc. so I can get educated on the right way to setup affiliate links on our domain which will provide for the best traffic?

I have heard (but not seen) that google tends to discount affiliate links as a quality indicator when analyzing rankings. Is there a right way and a wrong way to use affiliate links to improve SEO?

Thanks AWB community. I appreciate it!

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Are you a merchant who wants to add affiliate links to your site or an affiliate?

Search engines don't care if you monetize your site - they care when advertisements are more prevalent than content.

As for where to find information on how to properly add affiliate links - keep reading here...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Affiliate Manager
    Hey Convergence,

A Merchant who essentially wants to direct Affiliate link traffic through their site for SEO purposes. For instance, A lot of Affiliate Management software serves tracking links but they usually are hitting the affiliate management software's domain rather than the merchant's.

With our affiliate management software, you can direct the links through a specific domain on your website. I am trying to figure if or how this could help SEO purposes and what would be some good starting points (other than just picking a domain and hoping it works).

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Keep in mind, your site's weight can be penalized by the websites that link into you. There is a network out there, or maybe it's a 3rd party system like iDev (can't remember), that claims their link "technology" will boost a merchant's SEO efforts. Don't count on it...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Affiliate Manager
    Good to know. Yeah, iDev does not do that (we moved away from iDev for other reasons).

Always good to think about. Affiliate links might not be very valuable if they are linking to scummy pages and so on. Thanks for the thoughts!

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Post Affiliate Pro offers organic links and I can speak from experience they work. I believe LinkConnector does as well. Check with AvantLink as well as they may have an organic alternative.

When I managed an affiliate program for a large outdoor retailer we provided organic links that appended the affiliate PID to the ends of the page URLs. This worked with CJ but the server had to be tuned to look for those links.

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks Chuck for all the great suggestions. I'll investigate appending the PID.

We are using HasOffers and there are some domain settings we can use. If anyone has information/articles/resources on some ways to tweak this to improve SEO (if possible)-- let me know!

Thanks everyone on the thread for providing your feedback. Cheers!

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread