Question WordPress - noindex for Categories?
    Ok, I been using WordPress for a few month's now and have the plugin "All in One SEO" installed.

Today I went into Google Webmaster and it reported all of the Categories pages have very short titles and descriptions. As well all of the descriptions are the same for all pages in that Categories which of course Google has flagged.

Their is an option in "All in One SEO" to "Use noindex for Categories" should I check this???? If I do check this will all of my post still get indexed??

So what do I need to do to clean this up??

Thank you
    Kevin........
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

ABW Ambassador
    I check all these off:

Use noindex for Categories
    Use noindex for Archives
    Use noindex for Tag Archives

Your posts will still get indexed just fine. Awhile back I went to some SEO site, forgot which one and did some other reading, then made sure I had it setup like this.

The ones in bold, I have checked off. Was always curious how others have it setup.

Canonical URLs
    Rewrite Titles - think I need to change that one
    SEO for Custom Post Types
    Use Categories for META keywords
    Use Tags for META keywords
    Dynamically Generate Keywords for Posts Page
    Use noindex for Categories
    Use noindex for Archives
    Use noindex for Tag Archives
    Autogenerate Descriptions
    Capitalize Category Titles

3. Thanks From:
    kse

ABW Ambassador
    I also use the 'All in One SEO' plugin but I never use 'noindex' for categories or archives. If I've got a category that is called 'Big Blue Widgets' - I want that indexed so that people who are looking for big blue widgets but don't know whether they want the Big Blue 101 or Big Blue 102 can at least make a start.

I can see no upside in noindexing categories : surely, you want as many people at as many stages of the buying cycle to reach your pages.

In anticipation of an argument against what I'm suggesting, I modify all the WP themes I use to include the 'category description' function in the category.php file. That way I can add unique and relevant content for every category.

5. Thanks From:
    kse

markymark, just wondering did you ever go into Google Webmaster and look at the HTML errors reports. Just wondering since Google appears to have a problem the way titles & discriptions were being displayed for the Category pages.

I verified that my post are being index so I see it an advantage not to get the same content reindex several times on my site. Just a thought. But thank you for your thoughts. The more we discuss such topics the better for all of us.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

ABW Ambassador
    Back when I read about this, I think it was something about dupe content.

When I click on my categories, it's usually just different posts in that category, so no unique content or anything like that.

"I want that indexed so that people who are looking for big blue widgets but don't know whether they want the Big Blue 101 or Big Blue 102 can at least make a start."

I can understand that and this is what I did with one site to rank for something like that.

I made a post and stickied it for that category, so when you click on a category, that post will show up first, at the top. I use that sort of a little site map, links to different posts in that category. I can add a little unique content to that post and try to rank for the main category keywords.

If I have a site on Animal Breeds with one of my categories being Dog Breeds.

When someone comes to my site and clicks on Dog Breeds, they'll see

a sticked post about Dog Breeds with links to Cocker Spaniels, Dobermans, Beagles etc.
    Last edited by Trust; February 28th, 2012 at 06:36 PM.

Look at your sitemaps, that way you can see if you should no-index categories. If your sitemap for categories contains the same URIs as your sitemap for Posts then no-index the Categories. I switched over to Yoast's SEO plugin because it points out what is happening and offers an easy way to no-index posts or tags or categories. It also offers an easy way to add custom titles and descriptions to your posts or pages.

9. Thanks From:

Thank you 2busy, nice to see you around!!!

ABW Ambassador
    KSE Wrote:
    I verified that my post are being index so I see it an advantage not to get the same content reindex several times on my site
    Ah, OK. Well, I always use extracts that summarise the post on category pages, so there is no duplicate content issue arising. These extracts are custom written and aren't auto-generated from the post itself.

Here's an example of how I do things so you can see for yourself:

http://www.pharmacytechniciantrainin...ry/california/

I've never had a problem with Google and category titles either.

12. Thanks From:
    kse

I think my main problem is that I put a post in several subcatagorys. So when I post it will aways be in the main Catagory say "automobile" and then if its a BMW and a CAR It will also check "BMW" & "Car" subCatagorys.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by markymark View Post
    KSE Wrote:

Ah, OK. Well, I always use extracts that summarise the post on category pages, so there is no duplicate content issue arising. These extracts are custom written and aren't auto-generated from the post itself.

Here's an example of how I do things so you can see for yourself:

Pharmacy Technician Schools in California – CA Pharmacy Tech Training School Programs | Pharmacy Technician Training Schools.net

I've never had a problem with Google and category titles either.
    So with that, it's just - Category Templates « WordPress Codex

the
    Adding Text to Category Pages
    Static Text Above Posts

right?

ABW Ambassador
    Well, that would work, but that's not the way I do it. That's far too involved and too much extra code. I use the description function that's built into Wordpress.

When you add new categories, you'll see that you can add a 'description' for that category. Just add the text you want into that field within the Wordpress admin panel.

The code you need to add to your archive.php or category.php file to make the description appear on your category pages is this:

<?php echo category_description( $category_id ); ?>

Job done.

ABW Ambassador
    I've just re-read your question: when it comes to the individual posts and how they appear on the category pages. I do this:

first, I install 'advanced excerpt' plugin - this allows me to use html in excerpts for posts.

Secondly, I add my unique summary content into the 'excerpt' field on each individual post page.

I also adapt the category.php or archive.php page to show this information:

You should look for something like this:

<?php the_content(); ?>

and replace it with something like this:

<?php the_post_excerpt($excerpt_length=50); ?>
    <span class="readmore"><a href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>" title="<?php the_title(); ?>">Continue Reading</a></span>

ABW Ambassador
    Alright thanks. Will be starting a new WP site soon, want to try some new things out.

ABW Ambassador
    Cool. If you need some help, just PM me, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy View Post
    Look at your sitemaps, that way you can see if you should no-index categories. If your sitemap for categories contains the same URIs as your sitemap for Posts then no-index the Categories. I switched over to Yoast's SEO plugin because it points out what is happening and offers an easy way to no-index posts or tags or categories. It also offers an easy way to add custom titles and descriptions to your posts or pages.
    Wow, I'm impressed on how many solid answers there are to this and it seems like you have this sorted out for now. I did want to also recommened what 2busy said about Yoast's WordPress SEO plugin. It's by far much more advanced and offers so much more power than ALL IN ONE. Back in the day, ALL IN ONE was all I would recommend but it hasn't really been enhanced to match what the engines are doing today.

Lastly, when you install the plugin, you get a on-site page analysis tool within each page and post. You can put in a focus keyword and the plugin will scan your content and tell what elements are missing from you page to ensure you're on-site SEO is spot on.

Give it a shot! Good luck!

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread