Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MENTORING: Total newbie hoping to be a pro soon.
    Hi Everyone,

My Name is Christine and I've been very interested in learning about how to make my living on the web exclusively. I am currently a nurse having worked more than 25 years in the health care field and am possibly facing a layoff very soon. Decided that if not now, then when?

I currently sell on ebay and have a little store but as much fun as it is, it's definitely as profitable as I need it to be without investing alot more than I care to in inventory, so I've decided that maybe affiliate marketing is for me.

Please forgive all my silly questions in advance cause I'm sure alot of eyes will be rolling with some of my questions.

I live in South Florida and was hoping to find a local group that physically meets in my area so if you know of any, please share that info with me.

I'm an avid traveller and think that focusing on travel related sites may be the way for me to go. Maybe other interests as well like nursing related stuff although I'm not sure where to take that. I guess all this stuff comes to you once you hang out here for a while. So thanks for opening the doors to your community.
    Happy to be here.

Fighting the good fight... Convergence's Avatar
    Welcome Christine!

If you can write about travel - you can do well with the right travel partners. Even consider white label partnering.

Nursing would be tough for me but I suspect easier for you There are programs that have "scrubs" and nursing uniforms, shoes, even diabetic supplies.

Dive right in! Start reading old posts on the forum as well as all the new posts. Many people have already asked and answered questions you have or haven't even thought of. But when you do have a question - just ask!
    Merchants: In the fashion or home appliance niches? Contact us for placement opportunities for: the US (National and now LOCAL markets), UK, and CA.
    Merchants: Do you exclude Colorado Affiliates? We can deliver targeted traffic from outside of Colorado! Contact us for details.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Hello Christine and welcome to ABestWeb! Look at Meetup.com for meetings in your area. There are a lot of affiliate marketers in South Florida.

ABW Ambassador
    Hey Christine, welcome to the forums.

As you said, you've got a lot of knowledge about 'nursing related stuff'. Potentially, you could turn this into affiliate income by affiliating with .edu related networks like CUNet or Plattform Partners who have relationships with for-profit schools in this field.

Even a blog, monetized with adsense, about your experiences, knowledge, etc would be good as the per-click costs for anything related to education is fairly high.

Thanks Convergence
    Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Welcome Christine!

If you can write about travel - you can do well with the right travel partners. Even consider white label partnering.

Nursing would be tough for me but I suspect easier for you There are programs that have "scrubs" and nursing uniforms, shoes, even diabetic supplies.

Dive right in! Start reading old posts on the forum as well as all the new posts. Many people have already asked and answered questions you have or haven't even thought of. But when you do have a question - just ask!
    Okay I guess my first lesson will be to research white label partnering

Although Nursing has been my life I don't want it to be my life going forward but obviously I could potentially write it from an expert's perspective. It's just that writing about nursing is pretty boring unless I do it from the comical side or from some other angle. I guess I'll keep an open mind about it.

I really would though love to start with travel since I'm always on a plane going somewhere. Would be so much nicer to have my travels become tax deductible as my new affiliate business expense.

I do alot of timeshare travel and would like to rent out some of my weeks but also make it a site that I can monetize somehow. I love Disney but it seems to be that so does everybody else and I'd have a ton of competition, so was hoping to focus on the roads less traveled. What do you think? Would it not get enough traffic to be worthwhile? I'm thinking maybe of the Florida beach resorts or the other Orlando resorts since I've been to many of them and can write about them from first hand experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Hello Christine and welcome to ABestWeb! Look at Meetup.com for meetings in your area. There are a lot of affiliate marketers in South Florida.
    Thanks I'll give it a look. I did try to find some a wordpress group there but maybe it's gotten better since I last looked. Didn't really see any groups that had any members. Maybe there just aren't alot of memebers in these groups. It looked like some of them had only 3 or 4 people in them. Is that typical?

Quote Originally Posted by markymark View Post
    Hey Christine, welcome to the forums.

As you said, you've got a lot of knowledge about 'nursing related stuff'. Potentially, you could turn this into affiliate income by affiliating with .edu related networks like CUNet or Plattform Partners who have relationships with for-profit schools in this field.

Even a blog, monetized with adsense, about your experiences, knowledge, etc would be good as the per-click costs for anything related to education is fairly high.
    That's a great idea. As soon as I know what you're talking about I'll keep it in mind. All these acryonyms are definitely gonna lose me til I'm up to speed.

The schools seem to be the only thing here in my town making money right now. Education is HUGE business right now. People are just going crazy taking out 100K education student loans as if that's somehow gonna get thm a job. Lots of graduates here still unemployed, many several years post graduation, but the schools have waiting lists. I guess that will be the next bubble to pop.

Christine here's your first two assignments:

1. For Nursing check out the affiliate programs for companies you know. Find their websites and look for the "affiliate" link usually at the bottom of the page. Review at least three then come back to this thread and give your opinion as a new post per merchant. You can list the company name but not link to it.

2. For Travel review the following affiliate programs: Expedia, Sandals, CityPass. Come back to this thread and give your opinion as a new post per merchant. I want you to see how different each is and what they pitch to affiliates. You won't be able to apply, just read their affiliate program page information.

Three or 4 people is a start, try joining their group and post a greeting asking them to contact you. Get on the phone with the organizer and see what the value is in attending a meetup or just meeting for coffee. Broaden your search to the state of Florida as there may be Orlando meetings better suited. Here is the group I run and feel free to join (its free) so you can see some of the things we discuss: Rocky Mountain Affiliate Marketing Association (Salt Lake City, UT) - Meetup

ABW Ambassador
    Chriske wrote:

That's a great idea. As soon as I know what you're talking about I'll keep it in mind. All these acryonyms are definitely gonna lose me til I'm up to speed.
    Apologies. I forget that people are completely new to this kind of thing. Plattform Partners and CUNet are two of the biggest companies for people looking for degree and diploma programs. Just Google their names and you will find them.

I'd strongly suggest you follow Chuck's 'first two assignments' as a first step, though. Come back to these forums and I'm sure you will get plenty of useful, workable advice to help you move forward.

Christine here's your first two assignments:

1. For Nursing check out the affiliate programs for companies you know. Find their websites and look for the "affiliate" link usually at the bottom of the page. Review at least three then come back to this thread and give your opinion as a new post per merchant. You can list the company name but not link to it.

2. For Travel review the following affiliate programs: Expedia, Sandals, CityPass. Come back to this thread and give your opinion as a new post per merchant. I want you to see how different each is and what they pitch to affiliates. You won't be able to apply, just read their affiliate program page information.
    Ugggghhhh. Homework already?

Okay, I'll take a look at some and come back.

Three or 4 people is a start, try joining their group and post a greeting asking them to contact you. Get on the phone with the organizer and see what the value is in attending a meetup or just meeting for coffee. Broaden your search to the state of Florida as there may be Orlando meetings better suited. Here is the group I run and feel free to join (its free) so you can see some of the things we discuss: Rocky Mountain Affiliate Marketing Association (Salt Lake City, UT) - Meetup
    Here's our local group. Looks like it's bigger than when I've seen in the past or maybe I was just searching for Wordpress groups. I can't remember. Love this little bonk smile.
    Meetup202: Miami Affiliate Marketing Group (Miami, FL) - Meetup
    Apparently they meet in a secret location.

Your group is pretty big. Looks like your pretty active too. Too bad I live so far away. If I didn't get altitude sickness I'd come visit you in SLC but last time I went there didn't go so good for me and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by markymark View Post
    Chriske wrote:

Apologies. I forget that people are completely new to this kind of thing. Plattform Partners and CUNet are two of the biggest companies for people looking for degree and diploma programs. Just Google their names and you will find them.

I'd strongly suggest you follow Chuck's 'first two assignments' as a first step, though. Come back to these forums and I'm sure you will get plenty of useful, workable advice to help you move forward.
    Yeah, real newbie here but I'll try to come up to speed quickly. I have to with my impending layoff or I'm gonna be eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches every day.

Sorry to hear the altitude got to you. Salt Lake City is at 4:00 feet but I live in Park City at 6000 feet and ski up to 10,000. Generally people get here late, lack of sleep and dehydration cause more altitude sickness than anything else. I love it when I see someone smoking at 9300 feet where our highest restaurant is located. I watch to see if they passout!

Sorry to hear the altitude got to you. Salt Lake City is at 4:00 feet but I live in Park City at 6000 feet and ski up to 10,000. Generally people get here late, lack of sleep and dehydration cause more altitude sickness than anything else. I love it when I see someone smoking at 9300 feet where our highest restaurant is located. I watch to see if they passout!
    Well it was bad in SLC but since I was staying with friends and not doing much strenuous I was able to tolerate it but when we went up to Park City then I really felt it. Thought I was gonna meet my maker at the ripe old age of 40. Not fun. My friends did say that when they first moved to SL they had troubles for the first few months. Miami doesn't get any flatter so it's quite an adjustment for us coast huggers.

Okay, back to my homework.

16. Thanks From:

Okay first one I found on google. Yeah I cheated cause the companies that I searched don't seem to have affiliate programs. I love google.

Nurse Entrepreneur Network.
    They pay 40% commission on sign ups and products.
    That seems like a really generous commission.
    Are all these programs so generous and why would they be so generous?

I was a realtor for a few years and the most I ever made was 10%.
    Of course with that I couldn't work from home in my PJ's.

2nd is
    Nursing Job Cafe.
    They pay $35 for a lead for an employer that becomes a member and $3.50 for a job applicant lead that registers.
    They don't pay you til you sell $50
    Free to join and they give you the links and banners.

So with this one if you only get one lead of a job applicant per month for 12 months you still wouldn't be paid til you get to $50. Doesn't seem worth the hassle but what do I know.

Nurse Entrepreneur Network.
    They pay 40% commission on sign ups and products.
    That seems like a really generous commission.
    Are all these programs so generous and why would they be so generous?
    They are selling a Membership for $97.00 per year and that's reasonable for a membership as they make more money on other products and services. Traffic to the site looks weak so I would suggest passing unless you have an email list of nurses to solicit: nurse-entrepreneur-network.com 1,209.0 UVs for January 2012 | Compete

5-10% is standard commission for consumer goods.

They are selling a Membership for $97.00 per year and that's reasonable for a membership as they make more money on other products and services. Traffic to the site looks weak so I would suggest passing unless you have an email list of nurses to solicit: nurse-entrepreneur-network.com 1,209.0 UVs for January 2012 | Compete

5-10% is standard commission for consumer goods.
    Speaking of email lists. I've been saving all my emails from my ebay sales thinking that those emails might be valuable to me one day. They have all purchased product from me over the years. How can I use that info?

It's not nursing related unfortunately. I sell costume jewelry so maybe should be looking at jewelry affiliates instead. What do you think? Is that email list valuable?

[QUOTE=Chuck Hamrick;1114692]nurse-entrepreneur-network.com 1,209.0 UVs for January 2012 | Compete

Interesting site that Analytics site. Thanks for the info.
    I'm sure it will be valuable once I know what I'm doing.

2nd is
    Nursing Job Cafe.
    They pay $35 for a lead for an employer that becomes a member and $3.50 for a job applicant lead that registers.
    They don't pay you til you sell $50
    Free to join and they give you the links and banners.

So with this one if you only get one lead of a job applicant per month for 12 months you still wouldn't be paid til you get to $50. Doesn't seem worth the hassle but what do I know.
    Agree, unless you had a nursing forum. Better traffic numbers, I usually double the numbers from Compete and use it as an estimate. nursingjobcafe.com 16,033.0 UVs for January 2012 | Compete

Lesson learned, its tough to gauge how these two program as doing since they both are in-house. You can tell they are in-house because the sign-up doesn't go to an affiliate network like Commission Junction or Shareasale. If they did we could see what kind of an EPC (commission per 100 visitors) they pay on average and their network ranking. On the other hand you would have an easier time getting accepted to an in-house (white label) program with a beginner website.

elearners has an affiliate program for nursing schools, but they want you to sign up and give them info about your company and your website like how many visitors it gets and your google page ranking.

Shoot I don't even have a website yet so I guess this one isn't for me yet.

Interesting site that Analytics site. Thanks for the info.
    I'm sure it will be valuable once I know what I'm doing
    I use the SearchStatus toolbar in FireFox browser. It lists Google Page Rank, Alexa number and Compete stats. Each is not a perfect indicator in themselves but are relative. If I see a PR of 5+, Alexa under 100k or Compete of 10k+ its an indicator of some ranking and traffic.

elearners has an affiliate program for nursing schools, but they want you to sign up and give them info about your company and your website like how many visitors it gets and your google page ranking.

Shoot I don't even have a website yet so I guess this one isn't for me yet.
    Newbies have to start somewhere, contact them and tell them you want to get started and haven't build a site yet. Give them your experience and ask what they are looking for.

elearners now that is a site with some traffic numbers and ranking. Spend some time reading what they offer.

Agree, unless you had a nursing forum. Better traffic numbers, I usually double the numbers from Compete and use it as an estimate. nursingjobcafe.com 16,033.0 UVs for January 2012 | Compete

Lesson learned, its tough to gauge how these two program as doing since they both are in-house. You can tell they are in-house because the sign-up doesn't go to an affiliate network like Commission Junction or Shareasale. If they did we could see what kind of an EPC (commission per 100 visitors) they pay on average and their network ranking. On the other hand you would have an easier time getting accepted to an in-house (white label) program with a beginner website.
    Well I really don't want to have to keep track of a million programs myself so how would I be able to get accepted at Commission Junction or Sharesale? I think I signed up once with Commission Junction and had an account at one time. I never did anything with it because I quickly got overwhelmed and was doing real estate at the time so abandoned my affiliate dream but I think the timing is better now for me to try this so I'm back.

I tried to get a google account but they wouldn't approve me since I didn't have a website yet. It seems they want you to do the work before they'll bother with you. I guess it makes sense. I'm sure they don't want to have to keep track of a million affiliates making only $5 in sales. Probably not worth it to them either.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast