Hello Everyone
    My name is Bill and I am from Irvine, CA.

I am here to share experiences and learn some off you guys.

Hope it all goes well and am looking forward to getting to know you guys.

Cheers

Bill

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Hello Bill and welcome to ABestWeb! So what kind of affiliate sites have you built?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Hello Bill and welcome to ABestWeb! So what kind of affiliate sites have you built?
    Hey Chuck, thanks for responding..
    I haven't built any so far unfortunately..but I really want to..in my opinion I could avoid basic or major errors if I am around people who have already done it or doing it...
    How about you?

I manage nine affiliate programs so on the other side of the fence from you. That and am the admin for ABW.

Recommend reading several weeks of threads in the Intro forum then looking at the Newbie FAQ.

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Bill, welcome to the forums.

My advice (and I think everyone here will tell you this) is to get a site up a.s.a.p - it doesn't matter whether it's the best site in the world or not, but you have to get started. Otherwise, you can spend months, even years, learning and never actually get anything done.

I manage nine affiliate programs so on the other side of the fence from you. That and am the admin for ABW.

Recommend reading several weeks of threads in the Intro forum then looking at the Newbie FAQ.
    Thank You Chuck.

9 Affiliate Programs...that is quite impressive...How is that going for you if you don't mind me asking? And how long did it take you to get here? Is it good money?

Quote Originally Posted by markymark View Post
    Hi Bill, welcome to the forums.

My advice (and I think everyone here will tell you this) is to get a site up a.s.a.p - it doesn't matter whether it's the best site in the world or not, but you have to get started. Otherwise, you can spend months, even years, learning and never actually get anything done.
    Is that because having a site would give me hands on knowledge? Have something to experiment on and learn. Trial and error perhaps? Because that does sound quite plausible.

ABW Ambassador
    Partly that, for sure, BillA. But mainly because you need to have a live website up and running if you are ever to be accepted into any affiliate program.

Build a site about something you love - it doesn't matter whether it's Lady Gaga, Harley Davidsons, vintage wine or even: 'drinking vintage wine while singing Lada Gaga songs on the back of your Harley Davidson'.

Pretty much every website can be monetized in some way (although I suspect the last one might be a little too restricted in terms of potential audience!).

Creating a website is really not that difficult - most web hosts have free website creation tools or you can use Wordpress (also free). It's more important to create great content than for your first website to look like it cost $20k.

Website
    Partly that, for sure, BillA. But mainly because you need to have a live website up and running if you are ever to be accepted into any affiliate program.

Build a site about something you love - it doesn't matter whether it's Lady Gaga, Harley Davidsons, vintage wine or even: 'drinking vintage wine while singing Lada Gaga songs on the back of your Harley Davidson'.

Pretty much every website can be monetized in some way (although I suspect the last one might be a little too restricted in terms of potential audience!).

Creating a website is really not that difficult - most web hosts have free website creation tools or you can use Wordpress (also free). It's more important to create great content than for your first website to look like it cost $20k.

Yes I suppose the last one would attract very weird people if any - hah. I get your point though. Since it doesnt cost much if anything at all - it is only wise to get on with it and at least have a beginning.

Good advice Good Sir.

Most appreciated.

What kind of stuff do you do, if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers
    Bill

ABW Ambassador
    I don't mind you asking at all, Bill.

As an affiliate: I work in the college/education and gambling sectors.

I also still do a little SEO consultancy for a few clients I've had down the years.

I also own a Business to Business lead generation company here in the UK that generates business leads for industries like accountants, office moving firms and health and safety consultants.

But, you're right about getting on with it: make a start, create something, enjoy the process of doing that rather than initially worrying about making money and you are on your way.

Work
    I don't mind you asking at all, Bill.

As an affiliate: I work in the college/education and gambling sectors.

I also still do a little SEO consultancy for a few clients I've had down the years.

I also own a Business to Business lead generation company here in the UK that generates business leads for industries like accountants, office moving firms and health and safety consultants.

But, you're right about getting on with it: make a start, create something, enjoy the process of doing that rather than initially worrying about making money and you are on your way.
    That is indeed very impressive. Good job Mark. Keep it up. And thank you very much indeed for sharing.

In a few years, I hope, I'll be doing much better than I currently am in the field I hope personally.

At the moment I am working at a Mobile Ad Network company based in Southern California. So I am getting lots of exposure and training. It should turn out to be helpful one way or the other down the road I'd hope.

How long have you been in the business? You have a number of things under your belt so it is safe to assume you progressed over the years.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by BillA View Post
    At the moment I am working at a Mobile Ad Network company based in Southern California. So I am getting lots of exposure and training. It should turn out to be helpful one way or the other down the road I'd hope.

How long have you been in the business? You have a number of things under your belt so it is safe to assume you progressed over the years.
    Mobile is definitely an upcoming thing so I'm sure your first hand experience in that field will serve you very well.

I've been in the internet marketing business for about 10 or 11 years. I realised quite early on that the key to longevity was to have lots of different income streams because things can change very quickly online.

I also have a policy of replication for everything I do. Let's say I have one site that is doing very well in a particular field. I'll look at which keywords that site is doing well with, which products are converting, which companies I'm promoting.

I will then create a second site using exactly the same keywords/products/companies. The look of the site might be only slightly different and the call to actions will be identical. However, much of the textual content, the web host and the links to that site will be radically different. That way if the first site starts to fall out of the search engines or whatever, I have another site that is already on its way up.

This has kept me in the game for a long, long time. I hope it's a useful idea for you too.

Replication
    Mobile is definitely an upcoming thing so I'm sure your first hand experience in that field will serve you very well.

I've been in the internet marketing business for about 10 or 11 years. I realised quite early on that the key to longevity was to have lots of different income streams because things can change very quickly online.

I also have a policy of replication for everything I do. Let's say I have one site that is doing very well in a particular field. I'll look at which keywords that site is doing well with, which products are converting, which companies I'm promoting.

I will then create a second site using exactly the same keywords/products/companies. The look of the site might be only slightly different and the call to actions will be identical. However, much of the textual content, the web host and the links to that site will be radically different. That way if the first site starts to fall out of the search engines or whatever, I have another site that is already on its way up.

This has kept me in the game for a long, long time. I hope it's a useful idea for you too.
    That is indeed an excellent way to go about it. It has to be effective and I would say that in an ever changing industry, it should help you keep on top of your game at all times.

I have often seen people who keep wondering why things are going South and it is obviously very important to follow the success. There are some however who never get to success as well. But I guess they could follow those who have been successful lately. Lately being important since things that must have applied years ago may no longer have the same effect.

Mobile Ads are certainly getting more and more popular. I would say I am in an industry that is rising and it is exciting to know that I will be rising with it. This company has been around since March 2011 I believe and I think they have grown extensively in this short period of time. So it is all working out pretty well for me I think in this area.

I do need to get on with making the websites though. I can only give that time over the weekends since I work most hours every weekday. Things are very fast paced and I am always involved and there is never a good time to go home haha. I like it this way though.

9 Affiliate Programs...that is quite impressive...How is that going for you if you don't mind me asking? And how long did it take you to get here? Is it good money?
    I have been in online marketing as a second career since 1999 and full time as an affiliate manager since 2005. Was a partner in a 10 employee agency doing SEO, PPC, Email and affiliate until 2004. I took a full time AM job 90 minutes away that paid $15k less than what I made at the agency but it got me the direct experience I needed. That got me a job in Park City Utah a resort town where I came out in 2005 then moved the family the next summer. I was with a large online retailer for a year then scooped up by an agency and commuted 30 minutes to Salt Lake City where I build their business to two dozen programs. Finally deadheaded in salary so struck out on my own in August of 2010 and loving it ever since. Wouldn't say I am killing it as I am in a high rent area and have an office to boot but have put one kid through college, second in and have two competitive soccer players at home with one ski racing to boot. I work 100 hours a week for eight months to build my business (50 for me and 50 for the agency). Now I only work 60 hours on a light week. You can follow my career path by clicking LinkedIn below.

Work
    I have been in online marketing as a second career since 1999 and full time as an affiliate manager since 2005. Was a partner in a 10 employee agency doing SEO, PPC, Email and affiliate until 2004. I took a full time AM job 90 minutes away that paid $15k less than what I made at the agency but it got me the direct experience I needed. That got me a job in Park City Utah a resort town where I came out in 2005 then moved the family the next summer. I was with a large online retailer for a year then scooped up by an agency and commuted 30 minutes to Salt Lake City where I build their business to two dozen programs. Finally deadheaded in salary so struck out on my own in August of 2010 and loving it ever since. Wouldn't say I am killing it as I am in a high rent area and have an office to boot but have put one kid through college, second in and have two competitive soccer players at home with one ski racing to boot. I work 100 hours a week for eight months to build my business (50 for me and 50 for the agency). Now I only work 60 hours on a light week. You can follow my career path by clicking LinkedIn below.

When I said it was impressive, it was clearly an understatement. It looks like you have built quite a life for yourself and that should be utterly rewarding. Hard work does pay off doesn't it?

I am scraping the tail end of the baby boomers being 50 now. Hard work is the only thing I know. Now working for myself it is very rewarding but I have to keep focused. I have more freedom but even more responsibility. I really enjoy networking and helping affiliates do better. I don't enjoy the backstabbing and gaming that comes with online marketing.

Work
    I am scraping the tail end of the baby boomers being 50 now. Hard work is the only thing I know. Now working for myself it is very rewarding but I have to keep focused. I have more freedom but even more responsibility. I really enjoy networking and helping affiliates do better. I don't enjoy the backstabbing and gaming that comes with online marketing.
    I understand where you're coming from. Although I haven't had as much as success as you have had and granted I am only starting, I do hope to do well as I go along.

Sure I am always looking for Publishers for my company but I obviously try not to pester people so much because sometimes some approaches are downright annoying.

Are you a one man show? Or do you have people now who help you look after your work?

+ Reply to Thread