Newegg.com Dumps Me For Accusing Them of Lowering Commissions
    Last week Newegg.com sent out new terms and when you read through the pending offer, you could see that many commissions on their item list were dropped in half.

I sent them an email (Below) asking why they were hacking commissions. I should have been more polite, because they dropped me below. Their response follows my initial email.

My email:
    Before I decide what to do with your pending offer, please explain why you're hacking affiliate commissions. You can view my thread on ABestWeb.com.
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/commi...ml#post1115388

Their Response Today:
    There is no mention of Newegg hacking commissions in the link you sent me and we certainly do not appreciate those types of allegations. If you have questions about our integrity as a marketing partner, you should bring them to our attention instead of asking us for an explanation under the assumption that we are already guilty. Therefore, we have decided to remove you from our affiliate program. We do want to thank you for any time and effort you have expended in promoting our affiliate program.

Hideaki Kondo

I had asked them to provide an explanation. The ABW link I provided was to a general discussion about Merchants sneakily trying to force pending terms to affiliates and hiding the lowering of commissions within a tiered item list.

At least I know where they stand and I hope other affiliates can learn something from this, even if it means don't use the word hack in a merchant email.

I'm jsut sick and tired of being bullied by merchants. Aren't you?
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; March 8th, 2012 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Link baiting

2. Thanks From:

The not so funny thing is that I wanted to provide what I saw in my account as to what items were lowered. Since, I'm no longer in the program, I can't see what my active terms were. I can only see what it would be if I applied.

Hopefully I didn't get this wrong. That would be embarrassing wouldn't it? I would have to issue a public apology. I'm sure when I was reviewing commissions, I saw a drop from active to pending but maybe my eyes got the best of me.

I still emailed the AM and that person could have set me straight. Nothing in the link that I included in my email to them, mentioned Newegg. So I didn't accuse them program publicly like they stated.

I only accused them privately.

5. Thanks From:

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Maybe on reflection you feel you could have been more tactful, but the constant barrage of such actions by so many merchants gets the blood boiling, and a swift response seems like the thing to do at the time. Believe me, I have over reacted and sent out emails to merchants (and others) that afterward may seem to have been at least in part, ill-advised.

At least the new terms from Newegg were understandable. I just received yet another change of terms from a LS merchant where the email makes NO mention of what terms are changed, and the linked TOS is a voluminous, rambling, never-ending mish-mash, with no clue as to what has been changed.

I also recently received, over a few hours, the following three emails from a merchant I had just joined:
    1. New TOS removing bonus tiers.
    2. New TOS restoring bonus tiers.
    3. Statement from am saying that they were suspending their bonus tiers for two days (presumably for two days before no. 2 would take effect) while they conducted a sale.

I can hardly wait to see what comes next.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

7. Thanks From:

Thanks for your remarks Affiliatehound. You're right, it seems as if we continue receive tons of pending term announcements in the CJ interface. I have a real issue with merchants who don't bother to contact affiliates prior to those pending pushed to us through CJ.

akagorilla, that about sums it up. That's pretty sad. At least that image put a smile on my face.

10. Thanks From:

could have been more tactful
    In this business, tact is for con artists who are trying to take advantage of somebody, or pussies who are afraid to put things straight.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

bibby, I just looked at the newegg offer. They raised the commissions in a few categories. Nothing was lowered.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyM View Post
    bibby, I just looked at the newegg offer. They raised the commissions in a few categories. Nothing was lowered.
    Thanks. I must have read it wrong. Maybe In was looking at their new vs. returning customer commissions.

So here goes. I apologize to Newegg.com for this oversight and my email to them accusing them of lowering commissions.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    [nevermind]
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    [nevermind]
    I'm not sure I understand this post.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Also perhaps by using the word "hacking" they assumed you meant "stealing". An easy thing to mix up and certainly the reaction to being accused of stealing over lowering would be very different.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Quote Originally Posted by Chris - AMWSO View Post
    Also perhaps by using the word "hacking" they assumed you meant "stealing". An easy thing to mix up and certainly the reaction to being accused of stealing over lowering would be very different.

Cheers

Chris
    I never thought of it that way and certainly didn't mean to imply they were stealing.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bibby View Post
    I'm not sure I understand this post.
    Nothing to understand, Bibby. I made a comment and changed my mind...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by convergence View Post
    nothing to understand, bibby. I made a comment and changed my mind...
    ok.

unfortunate mistake. looks like both sides let emotion and anger get in the way.

21. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Unfortunate mistakes on both sides.

Bibby could have examed the term more carefully(I know it sounds easy, but sometimes it may become your day job just to go over those piles of terms)before sending out the email.

Newegg affiliate manager could have nicely explained the situation instead of dumping an affiliate simply because he was questioning about their terms.

Sadly a lot of merchants(mostly acting thru their inhouse AMs) still treat affiliates as their employees or salespersons and not marketing partners. That's the reality the affiliate business.

23. Thanks From:

Hey newegg, get a clue that your affiliates don't "get" you.
    Greg Hoffman
    Affiliate Marketing Advocate of the Year 2016; Best OPM/Agency - 2014; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb.
    Visit Greg Hoffman Consulting

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread