Clicks tracked but sales not - possible ?
    Hello,

(I am also discussing this with the google support right now, but would like to know if anybody else is experiencing this)

I promote products through review + price comparison.

I have two shops in particular with the lowest prices/best names so all my clicks go to these two shops, more or less 50/50.

One shop is on GAN and the other one on CJ. The one on GAN is more targeted on my visitors, so you would expect it converts better (and it is a very successful shop in general).

I send around 400 clicks/week to each store, links taken from the respective datafeeds (updated daily).

The clicks seem to register correctly, but while the shop in CJ has a conversion rate of almost 5%, the shop in GAN has an average conversion rate of 0.7%, this month being 0.3 !

I have been doing this for three years so, even on experience, I know these numbers cannot be right.

What I don't understand is how can the click be tracked and the sale not? That would exclude problems in the links, right?

Also, I am seriously considering removing this datafeed from my price comparison, even though a price comparison without one of the major stores will feel empty.

Anybody else with this issue ? How would you proceed ?

Thank you all

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    What testing have you done on the GAN links? Have you made a test order?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    What testing have you done on the GAN links? Have you made a test order?
    Hello

I haven't. What i have checked is the number of clicks registered (ie. more than 400 for this week, which is consistant with my usual CTR).

But NO SALES from the clicks whatsoever. And it has going worse and worse lately. All my other merchant convert quite better.

I am not sure how to do a test sale and use it as proof. As the products are usually quite expensive - what should I do ? How can i proove that I did an order in case it doesn't register?

I brought up the question to the merchant a couple of times but I have been told to "check with Google". I checked with Google and they confirmed to me that they notice this extremely low conversion rate trend, but nothing after that.

I am now afraid that on top of the money I lost in the past months not getting sales, I willl also just lose the money from this test sale.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks

I willl also just lose the money from this test sale.
    If a test order fails to track, you can cancel the order and get your money back, and then raise holy hell with them. A failed test order gives you proof that there is a tracking problem.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    If a test order fails to track, you can cancel the order and get your money back, and then raise holy hell with them. A failed test order gives you proof that there is a tracking problem.
    But how do you prove that you made the order from clicking on your link?

I understand the "raising hell" part of it but both the merchant and the network seem to be not too concerned by my emails.

to be not too concerned by my emails
    You're easy to ignore if you're just complaining to them. Chargebacks are a good attention-getter. And out them in public; if that is not enough to get their attention, then nothing is.

how do you prove that you made the order
    You'll have credit card statement with the transaction posted, confirmation email from the merchant along with order number, confirmation page to show if a tracking pixel is loaded or not (always make a copy of the page source to confirm whether a tracking pixel is loaded or not; this will tell you if the tracking failure is at the network end or the merchant end). Leave it up to them to try to prove that the order did not originate from your IP.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates

Chargebacks are a good attention-getter.
    Chargeback? A cancellation? I doubt they will be much troubled by one canceled order

You'll have credit card statement with the transaction posted, confirmation email from the merchant along with order number, confirmation page to show if a tracking pixel is loaded or not (always make a copy of the page source to confirm whether a tracking pixel is loaded or not;
    This part I don't understand. How a confirmation page loads a tracking pixel ? (I genuinely don't know). You mean the "order confirmation page" ?

The credit card statement will come at least a month afterwards (and again, it could be coming from an order from just typing in their homepage, not clicking on my affiliate link).

And for the outing them in public... I don't want to "raise hell" -> I wouldn't want to keep doing business with a party that was not helping me and that I had to publicly shame, so if I get a confirmation that my commissions are not paid, I'd rather just walk out

if I get a confirmation that my commissions are not paid, I'd rather just walk out
    All the more reason to do a test purchase if you suspect that tracking is being tampered with. Better to spend a few dollars once to find out for sure, than to spend many hours or days and more money to promote an offer that doesn't pay off.

Do a test purchase!!
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Get it done as you are just whining here when given valid recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Get it done as you are just whining here when given valid recommendations.
    I am just asking how to perform this test sale in order to be able to prove something to GAN/merchant.

Just go to the merchant site by clicking on your affiliate link and buy something. Then wait a few days to see if you get credit for the sale in GAN.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

And be sure to copy the page source from the "thank you for your order" page on the merchant's site. This will show you if a tracking pixel was fired or not, and you'll know whether to blame the network or the merchant if there is a tracking failure.

14. Thanks From:
    kse

And be sure to copy the page source from the "thank you for your order" page on the merchant's site. This will show you if a tracking pixel was fired or not, and you'll know whether to blame the network or the merchant if there is a tracking failure.
    Ok thanks all for the suggestions - i'll update you on how this goes.

interested in how this one pans out

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread