Trend Micro Wont Pay Commissions
    I'm sure, most of us have heard of TrendMicro .. its not some merchant that you have to search on Google. They have been providing antivirus and security software since years. I have been promoting their products on a couple of my websites and have been generating sales.

Last month (On February 7th), there were 7 sales which were edited and had zero dollar value. I thought they may be trial version downloads or something. Still, I thought to check with the merchant if they really were trial downloads. So I marked them an email, no reply.

I logged a trouble ticket at CJ and requested them to check all those transactions. There were 9 transactions (2 appeared later on) which were marked zero dollar value and no explanation if those were trial downloads. CJ rep contacted me back and informed that they are contacting the merchant. I was told that someone from Trend Micro will get back to me. They never did.

I kept communicating with CJ reps to get a hold of someone from Trend Micro .. no use. I contacted the affiliate manager Tracie but never got a reply from her. Tried to contact advertiser through the CJ contact advertiser form. NEVER got a reply back from Trend Micro.

Then I thought perhaps their affiliate manager is on vacation or something. I visited Trend Micro website and contacted at least 5 officials in the marketing department, shot them emails requesting for help. Its been over a week, NO ONE cared to get back to me. Not a SINGLE reply so far! This issue has stretched to over a month and no one cares to get back to me? Why?

What is going on at Trend Micro? FFS I have been your loyal affiliate since years! Why wouldn't you contact me and simply provide details of what happened with those sales? What can CJ do about such merchants who don't give a damn about their affiliates?

Anyone who wishes to join TrendMicro affiliate program or promote Trend Micro products on their website, please do read this post and decide if you really wish to get into this mess.

Question for Trend Micro: Is anyone ever going to contact me to just tell me why I wasn't paid for those sales? Would appreciate if you could take little time out of your busy schedule and tell me whether you people are going to pay me or not.
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; March 11th, 2012 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Link baiting
    Fulltime webmaster and wordpress lover.

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Adarsh - Good to see you posting, wish it was under better circumstances though. I hope you're able to get some answers from TrendMicro and get those commissions due to you.

Hello msladybug,

Good to see you still kicking butts
    Yeah, I've been carrying more than I can handle, been too busy with domestic stuff.

About TrendMicro, what bothers me the most is that they are not contacting me or avoiding a contact/explanation for "zero dollar value" sales. Otherwise, one month is good enough to revert back to my emails and explain the reason for marking those orders zero value.

The reason for posting here about them is to tell others what Trend Micro is up to. They are not trust worthy when it comes to paying commissions. And forget about getting any "affiliate support" from them because they will NOT revert back to your inquiries what so ever!

This issue started on February 7th and after all the efforts to reach the merchant, I finally got an email from Trend Micro's affiliate manager. Their affiliate manager asked me a couple of questions in his email:

I have taken a look at the orders below and have found some unusual things. For example, the billing address on one order is “ggg tttt”. The order value of that same transaction is “0.00 GBP”. When we have order values of 0.00 then our affiliates do not receive a commission, as our affiliates are commissioned on a percent of sale basis.

I would be interested in learning more about these orders. Can you tell me how these customers were able to get Trend Titanium AntiVirus + for 0.00GBP? Our team is just trying to get a better picture of your promotional activities so we can look further into these orders to see if we need add some commissions back into the system for you.
    So they found some unusual things in "One Order" where the customer had typed his billing address wrong. What about the other orders? Was there any problem with the other orders too?

"When we have order values of 0.00 then our affiliates do not receive a commission"
    Of course you don't get paid. But the question is, why was the order value 0.00?

"I would be interested in learning more about these orders"
    And how am I supposed to help you in learning about those orders? I sent you traffic and that's where my job finishes. What my traffic does on Trend Micro's website, that's your job to find out. I don't have the access to your logs sir!

"Can you tell me how these customers were able to get Trend Titanium AntiVirus + for 0.00GBP?"
    Yes, I could happily tell you how the customers were able to get your products for 0.00GBP if I were the webmaster at Trend Micro. I don't manage your website, I don't manage your transactions, I don't manage your accounts department and I have no control over what customers do on your website. So how in the world am I supposed to tell you what the customers do on your website?

"Our team is just trying to get a better picture of your promotional activities so we can look further into these orders to see if we need add some commissions back into the system for you"
    Now that pisses me off! Go check my websites and see if I am somehow stuffing the order values zero so that I don't get paid commissions. WHAT THE ... !!

Oh by the way, I did reply to his email ten days ago and politely answered all of his questions. Told him that I don't do anything special, I have 100% organic traffic and I dont do PPC or email marketing or any other ways of promotion. No reply since then .. Lets see if within this year they will come to the conclusion that it wasn't my fault, their technical department fckd up somewhere.

I'm on the verge of removing their links from all of my websites. I will wait a few days more and as soon as I have a couple of hours to spare, they are gone off my websites. Forever.

By the way, isn't CJ supposed to step in and push the merchant to provide a solution to this problem?

Since I wasn't getting any reply from Trend Micro, I sent them another email on March 24th to know the progress of the issue and asked them if they were done tracking my promotional activities.

Got this reply:
    Please note that the transactions you were expecting commissions on appear to be fraud. As such we will not be paying you commissions on those orders. I’ve asked our fraud review team for a specific update. If there is anything I can share with you from their update I will do so. I assure you that we are taking these unusual orders very seriously.
    Ok so all of those orders were fraud. Well, they may be, happens in the eWorld. They are still trying to find out what happened.

Anyway, the point is the "delay" in addressing this issue. Why did it take so long to find out that those orders were fraudulent sales? Why my emails were not replied earlier? CJ rep contacted the merchant weeks ago and CJ rep told me that the merchant will contact me directly. But it took weeks for someone from Trend Micro to get back to me. I've been burning my blood since February 8th and one and a half month later the merchant reaches out to me to tell me that I will not be paid because those sales were fraud? If they are so slow in providing support to their loyal affiliates, God help their customers who buy their products and need tech support ....

ABW Ambassador
    Sounds like a good time to pull their links and promote their competitor. I seriously doubt they even have a "fraud review team" and they don't have a clue how to track those sales. No way was all those sales fraudulent.

A good warning to any affiliate considering their program.

I'm done promoting TrendMicro. That's it, they are going out of business now.

lol .. jk

Oh well, with the kind of approach they have, they will be ... soon.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Even if they were fraudulent orders they would not appear as $0 sales from the get go and when a fraud order is reversed it is not set to 0, it is simply reversed and removed. Sounds like more of a tracking issue than a fraud issue.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Thanks for joining the convo Chris.

What's funny, they are asking me how the customers were able to buy "their product" at 0.00 GBP. It means, they are still in the blues and have no idea what happened at their end. If they can't find out how the customers bought their products at zero dollar, nobody in the world can find out how that happened. FFS .. I'm no magician who can swing his wand and here, this is what happened sir.

Whenever I see such clueless merchants, I always fear foul play.

So far, no information about those orders! What are they researching, rocket science?

Its like TrendMicro has turned their back on me and don't think they gonna reply back to me and discuss any info about those orders. Its close to 2 months and no solution so far.

Now I can proudly say that Trend Micro affiliate program sucks! They can mark just any sale "zero commission" and then never get back to you with any kind of information why the sale was marked zero dollars. Fine, after my 20 emails, their affiliate manager got back to me and told me that those were fraudulent sales but I was also promised that I will be given some info about 0.00 GBP sales. I'm really interested in understanding how did I do the miracle of editing product values on "Trend Micro website". I have the right to know about such miracles!!

I guess, Trend Micro affiliate manager hates to interact with affiliates, specially those affiliates who ask questions about the sales that have been marked zero dollars.

Just sick of them.
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; April 3rd, 2012 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Link baiting

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread