Blocking Certain Forum Pages with robots.txt
    Recently, I added forum to my website and I've noticed that there are a lot of pages not relevant to the content of my site (FAQ, help, etc). I use URL rewriting for all the content pages on the forum so I can recognize pages that do not attribute content by ? in the URL.

I figured that inclusion of all those pages could negatively affect my SEO efforts and Google was showing forum as most significant keyword on my site.

Couple of weeks ago I decided to block those pages in robots.txt by adding this line for all user agents:
    Disallow: /forum/*?

Ever since, when I log into my Webmaster Tools in Google, I get warning stating that there are severe health issues with important pages being blocked by robots.txt. The pages I get forwarded to are the ones I don't want showing in search results. Up to now I've been just ignoring those warnings thinking that they would go away.

What should I do about this?
    Should I just let it be the way it is?
    Should I request those pages to be removed?
    Should I remove that line from robots and allow Google to spider everything?

Thanks,
    Robert

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob_BAM View Post
    Couple of weeks ago I decided to block those pages in robots.txt by adding this line for all user agents:
    Disallow: /forum/*?

Ever since, when I log into my Webmaster Tools in Google, I get warning stating that there are severe health issues with important pages being blocked by robots.txt. The pages I get forwarded to are the ones I don't want showing in search results. Up to now I've been just ignoring those warnings thinking that they would go away.

Thanks,
    Robert
    Yeah, we upset the Google by blocking our FAQ directory on hour web hosting site after the Google had already had it indexed for several years. Has had no ill effects other than the annoying "critical health issue" warnings.

What happens is the Google continues to try and access the directory and is throwing a temper tantrum.

The Google needs to get over it...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I've noticed that sometimes the warning is there, sometimes it's not. I don't see any negative effects with ranking for my keywords so I'll just keep ignoring it.

I don't think it will give any nagetive effect to your website but what i recommend is:

- If your website pages are not replacing SERP of forum page, you should not lost those traffic by blocking those forum page.

- If you are fine with traffic loss then yes..

- If you think that the traffic coming to those forum pages from Google SERP is your prospect customers then you should put some call to action to your forum pages that can divert those traffic to your website and can covert into sell.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread