OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Google moving to semantic search!!!
    You thought Panda and Panda 2 shook up SERPs, now let's see where Google is next headed.

Google isn't replacing its current keyword-search system, which determines the importance of a website based on the words it contains, how often other sites link to it, and dozens of other measures. Rather, the company is aiming to provide more relevant results by incorporating technology called "semantic search," which refers to the process of understanding the actual meaning of words.
    Amit Singhal, a top Google search executive, said in a recent interview that the search engine will better match search queries with a database containing hundreds of millions of "entities"—people, places and things—which the company has quietly amassed in the past two years. Semantic search can help associate different words with one another, such as a company (Google) with its founders ( Larry Page and Sergey Brin).

Google search will look more like "how humans understand the world," Mr. Singhal said, noting that for many searches today, "we cross our fingers and hope there's a Web page out there with the answer." Some major changes will show up in the coming months, people familiar with the initiative said, but Mr. Singhal said Google is undergoing a years-long process to enter the "next generation of search."
    Google says it is still tinkering with the new look and function of its search engine, so it's unclear exactly what this might mean for Google users and website owners. But the move could spur millions of websites to retool their Web page—by changing what's called a "markup language"—so the search engine could more easily locate them under the new system, said Larry Cornett, a former Web-search executive at Yahoo Inc. YHOO +1.74%

One person briefed on Google's plans said the shift to semantic search could directly impact the search results for 10% to 20% of all search queries, or tens of billions per month.
    Entire article here:

2. Thanks From:

Sounds good to me.

But it would be nice if they'd first try to figure out how not to index and give favorable rankings to pages that return 403 errors.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Looking forward to a more "meaningful" search. If they "get it right" it should help clean out the fluff and the crap.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

for many searches today, "we cross our fingers and hope there's a Web page out there with the answer."
    G could/will use their semantic doo-hickey to formulate answers to searches and stick them at the top of the serps.

Kind of like when you search "2 plus 2" now. But cranked up to a whole new level.

Then people won't have to click on those pesky websites as much!

6. Thanks From:

which refers to the process of understanding the actual meaning of words
    The meaning according to whom..???

For a more complex question such as, "What are the 10 largest lakes in California?" Google might provide the answer instead of just links to other sites
    Sounds like a glorified Yahoo answers to me. I read the article in full - I don't want Google content, I want to find websites.

This will take scraping to a whole new level - why would anyone need to visit your website, when Google displays it for you??

8. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Googlezon...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

ABW Ambassador
    Greaaaaaaaat... And how will they spin this new search algo to increase profits?
    When the only tool you have is a hammer - everything looks like a nail.

Does this mean that search will automatically include video and even Facebook/Twitter posts?

Just another indication that we shouldn't depend on getting the bulk of our traffic from Google. Someday that huge bubble will burst and we'll be left with what ever other sources of traffic we've built.

13. Thanks From:

For a more complex question such as, "What are the 10 largest lakes in California?" Google might provide the answer instead of just links to other sites
    The typical user probably (just a guess based on the way I search and if you don't search the way I do it, then you're doing it wrong) doesn't provide all of the information that they're looking for in their query. I think most of us have learned that the broader the search criteria the more information we're likely to get. So when I search for the 10 largest lakes, am I looking for good places to fish, water ski or hide a body?

So in order for G to do this successfully they would also need to know WHY we wanted the information. Or will they just tell us why we wanted it?

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

So as Google evolves their algorithm will we someday see the Google robot that knows what we are asking? Are they at their core an artificial intelligence company?

am I looking for good places to fish, water ski or hide a body?
    Now that would be some kind of Autocomplete!

I'm not quite sure what Semantic search..but something tells me this change is going to greatly benefit people who advertise on PPC...

Affiliate Network Rep Chad-AvantLink's Avatar
    I might be stirring the pot here....but I think this is just a big PR push for Google. Nothing that is listed in that WSJ article is a new feature for Google. They've been looking at semantics and the meaning of words and content as a whole for years and years already.

I'll leave it to the expert words of Danny Sullivan to explain:

WSJ Says Big Google Search Changes Coming? Reality Check Time!

19. Thanks From:

Well it is Google's internet after all.... and we all handed it to them on a silver platter... as a matter of fact we couldn't wait to see where they took it...

Think about it.. we have followed them from the beginning, we gave them the reigns and said go... we even started calling search "Google-ing" or "Google it"...

With every new "adjustment" they made, everyone just rushed to comply without thinking about anything like lemmings over a cliff. When they added the "snippet" display so that people could "SEE" your entire page without clicking through to it... what did people do..?? Scream with outrage over the lost traffic...?? No they rushed to comply... they rushed to get their site to display... and handed Google BILLIONS of stolen clicks. Look... Help with site preview...

If you want to get a "feel" for what "Google" thinks of affiliates... just hang out in the Google Webmaster Groups and see how the Upper Level Google Drones talk about and talk down to affiliates... Affiliate Site Not Showing... and those SAME upper level royal a-holes are the same people that go through and deal with 100% of all reconsideration requests... so how much of a chance do you stand once one of them see's that your site is an affiliate site and nothing more...???

What Google is doing is basically going on an attack on every other advertising agency out there that serves ads like they do.. and they are using their algorithm to systematically and "automatically" eliminate their competition... and they are doing it by going after the sites that USE THE SERVICES... not the actual advertisers... trying to circumvent anti-competitive laws already on the books.

They have been after the affiliates for years... because affiliates are the "long tail search" for Avantlink... CJ... Linkshare... Share-a-Sale... and any other advertising company that competes with them. Eliminate the affiliate and the network fails.... competition GONE... their version of "SPAM" gone... But that wasn't enough...

With the new "unnatural link penalty" they can go after any site SERVING UP ADS for other advertising companies... like they did to Forbes READ THAT.... Forbes Got penalized for running ads in their footer... Whose ads...??? A competitors ads (Conductor.com) that Google deemed "unnatural"... so what did Forbes have to do...???
    Here is Matt Cutts Recommendation:
    My recommendation would be that Forbes remove the paid links that pass PageRank. I should mention that I believe we have another example of paid links that pass PageRank on Forbes which is similar to forbes.com/ebusiness/ , so it probably makes sense to do a full check of your site for any links similar to that or powered by the same network. After the links are gone, you can submit a reconsideration request [4] and we'll move forward from there. (here)
    Read that first sentence again...
    My recommendation would be that Forbes remove the paid links that pass PageRank.
    (Google just admitted to penalizing a site for running ads that weren't Google's that Google deemed "unnatural" and they even "demanded" the ads be removed before the site would be reconsidered and I am really surprised that Matt didn't suggest putting up Adsense...)

So Google is penalizing a site for supposedly "abusing" something that Google "made up" PAGERANK... What is PageRank REALLY...??? Only Google knows for sure... we all think we "might" know... but the fact is, it is a term made up by Google to reference something that only Google can explain...

There is no other place in the world that this would be allowed... if this was all brick and mortar Google would have so many lawsuits pending that they wouldn't have enough money to pay all the attorney fees.

IMHO... it is a case for a huge class action lawsuit from every site online that serves up an advertisement for anyone. Google is 100% competing with the advertising companies they are penalizing... and they directly control a majority of the revenue stream for just about every site online. TRAFFIC....

(Oh and no... using a search engine isn't a choice... using Google might be but using search is not... and that is why there needs to be some SE Regulations on the books...(Not to get off topic)

So until we all make a stand... and slay the dragon we have fed for the past ten years... we are all doomed to run the way Google tells us too until we are over the cliff and in the surf......
    (pun intended)

21. Thanks From:

the Google is the new crack cocaine and the world is hooked...

23. Thanks From:

How is it possible to prove the fact of penalizing? I don't see how, unless there is a file called "penalize_these.config" on the main Google's PC and a court subpoenaes it, and sure enough here's the domain name in question.

Let's say I type in "Furbes" in Google and furbes-dot-com is found on the 100th page. Furbes goes to court and demands whatever. A summoned plumber from Google is testifying: "Judge Judy, but the sites above furbes-dot-com are more relevant, according to our secret algorithm." Judge:"Mr.Furbes, do you have a police report?"

P.S. I predict I'm gonna hate the "semantic search" when I see it as a user. But also I would love to see its loopholes as a Pwner.

Quote Originally Posted by login View Post
    How is it possible to prove the fact of penalizing?
    Because Google sends you a message::
    "We’ve detected that some or all of your pages are using techniques that are outside our quality guidelines, which are available here: Webmaster Guidelines - Webmaster Tools Help.
    Specifically, look for possibly artificial or unnatural links on your site pointing to other sites that could be intended to manipulate PageRank. For more information about our linking guidelines, visit
    Link schemes - Webmaster Tools Help.
    "

Basically it reads like this:::
    "We’ve detected that some or all of your pages contain advertising that is not Google's and that is against our quality guidelines, which are available here: Webmaster Guidelines - Webmaster Tools Help.
    Specifically, look for any advertising links that are on your site pointing to other sites that cut Google out of any ad revenue. For more information about our linking guidelines, visit
    Link schemes - Webmaster Tools Help.
    "

They call them LINK SCHEMES like it's EVIL but it is defined as:::

1. Links intended to manipulate PageRank -- Any Link Without the rel="nofollow" as defined here:: Paid links - Webmaster Tools Help
    2. Links to web spammers or bad neighborhoods on the web -- Linking to anything Google doesn't like...
    3. Excessive reciprocal links or excessive link exchanging ("Link to me and I'll link to you.") -- Using the method used for the past ten years to gain Pagerank (mmmm... yea try to clean all that up now)
    4. Buying or selling links that pass PageRank -- Competing with Google buy selling advertising or supporting a Google competitor by advertising with them.
    (We'll use the rel="nofollow" attribute as an excuse until further notice see rule(3) after all we make the rules and we can change them anytime without notice or consideration)
    (You will also notice that Google does not use the rel="nofollow" attribute in any link it has on it's site...)

So now they are telling everyone exactly where to put ads: Above The Fold Penalty
    Who we can link to and who can link to us: Unnatural Link Penalty

It is borderline censorship and goes against Google's own stance on freedom of speech...

I think it's my personal freedom of speech to link to who I want and how I want...
    I think it's my freedom of expression to put my advertisements where ever I want on a page I own....

So what are they going to come up with next...??
    Well they are basically finished doing the "good" they intended to do and with the new hires:
    Google hires DARPA Director Regina Dugan | Digital Media - CNET News
    http://mashable.com/2012/03/16/google-hires-kevin-rose/

Who knows what they have cooking in that kettle....
    But you can count on any "adjustment" to search will NOT be beneficial to Affiliates or Affiliate Marketing as a whole...
    Last edited by AddHandler; March 16th, 2012 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Added some stuff...

26. Thanks From:

To get off the "rant"...

If you look at the way Google has been doing searches lately...
    When you used to search Google you would get results and the keywords would be in the URL....

https//www.google.com/search?q=the+biggest+lake

Now if you do a search the same thing happens...
    But it also keeps track of the each search you try along your search path...
    https//www.google.com/search?q=the+biggest+lake#hl=en&sugexp=frgbld&gs_nf=1&tok=_ynoCWI4z_rRTl0opFqkYQ&pq=the%20biggest%20lake&cp=4&gs_id=e9&xhr=t&q=California&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=Cali&aq=0p&aqi=p-p1g3&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=48514c2d9de728e2&biw=1488&bih=888

So it tracks where you start and what you search for until you end your search...

https//www.google.com/search?q=the+biggest+lake#hl=en&sugexp=frgbld&gs_nf=1&tok=bpEPhTDN3RYoYUMDrGnq8g&pq=california&cp=14&gs_id=1tg&xhr=t&q=to+hide+a+body&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=to+hide+a+body&aq=0v&aqi=g-v1g-m3&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=48514c2d9de728e2&biw=1488&bih=888

So after a few billion searches if you search for "the biggest lake" and you happen to be in California Google might just suggest::

To Hide A Body In California You'll Need To Find The Biggest Lake Which is Clear Lake and from your current location
    it looks to a be a 8 hour drive... so you'll need a list of hotels too and some gas stations and restaurants to stop at along the way... Have Fun..!!

And all the links will be leading to local advertisers instead of "web results"...
    Because clearly by the "search terms" you are not searching the WEB... you are searching locally... cutting out any sites on the WEB that may have a lot of information about hiding bodies in lakes... like weighing the body down... cutting off hands and feet... You get the idea .

If in fact the majority of people searching for a big lake while in California end up asking how to hide a body they may not EVER see "WEB" results... =)

It's a new day...

Quote Originally Posted by AddHandler View Post
    They call them LINK SCHEMES like it's EVIL but it is defined as:::
    Yes, but all that's been out there for many years now. I remember buying a link from a PR7 site back in 2004, not that it worked, but yeah, all the rules of "bad SEO" were defined as soon as it began to matter.

Now, that "nofollow" tag is just a joke. I had to create a very tricky script to stop bots from following my nofollow links. Even if Google says PR isn't going through, I imagine Google knows from which URL they found the next URL and so on.

Besides that, Google's ads (AdSense) are in a loadable mumbo-jumbo javascript, so it's not hard linking and I doubt it does anything to PR, so at least Google's own ads are "fair".

But those long links in search results with tracking tokens and stuff are scary indeed!!! That's why lately I use proxies a lot. Also, I'm not on Facebook. ha-ha

I am getting tired of keeping up with Google. But what can I do except keeping up ? There is only 1 search engine with traffic. I wish there were 5 search engines with each having 20% of Market Share. But the bad luck is we had 3 Search Engines, now we have 2. Who knows its only Google in future. I wish to save enough to retire before that time comes.

30. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by login View Post
    Now, that "nofollow" tag is just a joke. I had to create a very tricky script to stop bots from following my nofollow links. Even if Google says PR isn't going through, I imagine Google knows from which URL they found the next URL and so on.
    Yes it does. In fact it even shows those links in WMT as inbound links.

We link relevant web properties we own to each other. This is for the user, not for the bots. We put nofollow tags on those links, yet the Google identifies them as inbound links.

Same with our shopping directory and shopping search engine. We charge for inclusion and therefore use the nofollow tag on links - they show up as an inbound link as well in WMT. We also use nofollow tags on ALL affiliate links AND advertising - including banner and PPC. That being said, we have never experienced any ill effects, nor have our paying customers, with being listed on our sites that use the nofollow tag...

Google is really unpredictable. It changes or updated it SE Algorithm frequently. I think people understand google algorithm in a few days and that's why google changes it again and again

i think google have to information on how new update will work on search engine, so we can work on that way and improve link building.

34. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread