I have been adding cj links without the impression tracking image. Will I lose sales without that image? or is it alright if i don't include the impression image on my links.Please help me thanks.

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it."

Don't worry about the little image, I never use them once since I drive the URLs with mysql and php.

I always got lots of sales but with 0 impression!

ABW Ambassador
    Usually won't affect tracking, but, could be considered a violation of merchant's terms..

----
    -J
    Merchants: Do you realize that some of your affiliates are being paid commission on sales which you have paid for via PPC, offline advertising, and your targeted mailings?

ABW Ambassador
    A merchant may argue that you cannot have sales without having had page impressions.

Guess I better add that tracking image back to my links

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it."

That's true, I did this with linkshare and they told me that the merchant removed the image and everything was fine, so they will know if you remove it or not.

Daniel Fink
    Affiliate Marketing Coordinator
    FreeDebtConsolidation.com
    Dan@Intermarkmedia.com

quote:
    A merchant may argue that you cannot have sales without having had page impressions.

What are gator and other spyware/adware/scam companies to do when they jack the clickthrough without showing a 1x1 img? Just kidding....

I think it is ridiculous for merchants to argue that not including the 1x1 image for tracking page impressions can be a reason for not crediting sales. The clickthrough tracks anyway.

*Ebay flexible link and editor kit do not have 1x1 imgs. Although I guess you could add any 1x1 from ebays other links to log imps if you want it just won't show up as editor kit/flexible link it will show imps of the ad you take the 1x1 from.

*Many browser apps block these images anyway regarding them as "privacy intrusions". While clickthroughs are still logged.

* Some advertising scripts will not allow you to add the 1x1s to the ad code for rotation on your site. This of course depends on which one you use. And as noted above
    quote:
    ....I drive the URLs with mysql and php..

*PPC engines like Overboard, Findsquat, etc.... do not allow 1x1s in ads. (if you send user right to merchant's site)

* Also if you have 100 links from same merchant w/ 1x1 imgs on a single page, for every one time that page is loaded it will count as 100 ad impressions which will skew your impressions anyway. You are probably better off only putting one 1x1 per merchant per page to more accurately reflect CTR for that particular merchant.

Any merchant that argues about page imps is not quite in tune with how this game is played.

I believe it is called pay-per-performance.

PERFORMANCE is the bottom line.

my2cents

[This message was edited by cape cod on February 05, 2003 at 12:22 PM.]

Sometimes it's just not practical to have the 1x1 image in - for instance, if it's in an email message.

I've got at one "type in" domain name where I redirect directly to the qksrv link and don't show the 1x1 thing at all.

It doesn't impact on the merchant's overall EPC - it does screw your EPM reports though, but that will only affect you.

Basically, the 1x1 image is only for tracking impressions, not clicks.

________
    Please leave my port 137 alone.

ABW Ambassador
    I create my links with PHP/MySQL, but made the program smart enough so I can show the tracking pixels. I generally pile them all up at the end of the page. I was worried that merchants might decide to kick me out for not using the pixel.

Anyway, has anyone ever had a merchant refuse payment or kick you out of their program because you didn't run the pixel?

boom!

I use ASP and don't generally include the little 1x1s. However, every time I do a reorg, the DisneyStore affiliate emails me saying I have X amount of clicks and no impressions. So I have to fix it every time. Inevitably, I have some hacky code just for them like:

if Store"Disney" then [put the stupid 1x1 here]

It sucks, but you want to make sure you give them as littel cause for a reversal as possible.

Q-pon Central
    Coupons and deals since 1998
    http://www.qponcentral.com

quote:
    Originally posted by yintercept:
    Anyway, has anyone ever had a merchant refuse payment or kick you out of their program because you didn't run the pixel?

I suppose it depends on who you go with. Seems to me, the merchants who are here and talking to us on a regular basis don't care whether you track imps or not.

ABW Ambassador
    Its not very hard to include it on database driven sites. I do something similar to what Y does...

----
    -J
    Merchants: Do you realize that some of your affiliates are being paid commission on sales which you have paid for via PPC, offline advertising, and your targeted mailings?

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by QponCentral:
    However, every time I do a reorg, the DisneyStore affiliate emails me saying I have X amount of clicks and no impressions. So I have to fix it every time.

Same thing here--DisneyStore.com is the only ones I've ever had a problem with. When the told me that my links were incorrect and I had a week to fix them, I decided to just run a banner ad (with pixel) at the top of my page for a week or two. Viola--impression count.

Michael

The main purpose for that little pixel is to track the impression and give you some performance report. If you need it, put it and if you don't need it, just ignore it. I never have it and my merchant never say anything on it. Indeed, they accepted all my sales. I think there are large percentage of publishers remove the pixel since it is quite hard to implement.

For example, when I use frontpage to paste the HTML code and I can easily, accidentally remove the little pixel because it can't be seen! So, the pixel is quite rediculous.

no, you're right, Monuit, it isn't hard to add to database driven sites. But I don't feel like going and getting eveyone's individual img src and adding it to my DB. Doing that for 300+ stores would be a headache that isn't worth doing at this point.

Q-pon Central
    Coupons and deals since 1998
    http://www.qponcentral.com

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread