Zero to full time income timescale?
    Hi all,

What are peoples views on a complete beginner going from zero to a full time income in 9 months? Is it possible?

I appreciate a full time income differs for different people, so lets say 25-30k per annum.

Also, we're assuming he would have a professional mentor and a bucket load of determination and enthusiasm.

Thanks
    Dave

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    or $?

UK Merchants or US?

Natural traffic or PPC?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Complete beginner..? No, I don't think it's possible.. unless you already have some of the skills needed.

Do you have a technical background? Any web design skills? How quickly can you generate content..? How much time to you have to spend on this..?

You can choose a niche & build a site in 2-3 weeks.. apply to programs, write content and start filling up a site.. that's another 2-3 weeks. It takes Google another few weeks to visit your site, and you may or may not get quick ranking. So after 2-3 months you might have some traffic.. perhaps make a few sales here & there.

And this is where the work begins - anyone can do all of the above (any many of us have!). Building traffic and improving conversions.. that's where the real work begins.

There is a steep learning curve in affiliate marketing - you can hit the occasional home run, but your strategy changes based on your own personal experience. How will you get the traffic to generate the amount of sales needed for full-time income..?

I think it's great to have a positive attitude, and to that end, I say go for it - but don't depend on this as a future source of income without some established numbers to back it up.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Better add 50% to that if you are going to be self employed, pay your taxes, your benefits and retirement fund.

or $?

UK Merchants or US?
    Both. Can I do that?

Natural traffic or PPC?
    Depends on the site. Both if it's feasible?

Do you have a technical background? Any web design skills?
    None of the above! With frameworks like Catalyst, Headway etc is it really neccessary. If so, is it possible to initially outsource that part?

How quickly can you generate content..?
    Once the research is done I can produce content reasonably quickly.

How much time to you have to spend on this..?
    24/7 - I was layed-off recently.

Better add 50% to that if you are going to be self employed, pay your taxes, your benefits and retirement fund.
    In the first year I would only worry about taxes. Healthcare is provided by the Queen here in the UK and retirement fund is something I would have to provision for once I'm making a proper income.

Thanks for the replies so far guys, really appreciated.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    Complete beginner..? No, I don't think it's possible.. unless you already have some of the skills needed.
    Dave, based on your input, I agree with teezone.

25K is about $40K / 30K is about $47.5K

UK market is smaller than the US market. It is much more difficult being in the UK and marketing to US customers and vice-versa. While we have had great success in US to US marketing, we are actually pulling out of the US marketing to UK market very soon. Without the knowledge of how your consumers shop, the language differences (Queen's English vs American English), etc - it's far more difficult to be successful, even for experienced affiliates.

Natural traffic, which comes from:
    a) Search Engines as a sign of trust.
    b) Direct type-in traffic from being a household name.
    c) Inbound links - another sign of trust from other website owners.

PPC traffic is a learned skill unto itself. No easier than learning other forms of marketing - except PPC costs you money. You have to be prepared to spend, spend, and spend some more. You don't make for - in other words, for 10K you spend you are not guaranteed anything. Not even break even.

Affiliate marketing not only requires skills in marketing, but in relationships. There are a lot of nuances that are learned.

That being said, there is a golden-child in every group. You could very well be that golden-child.

Only one thing left to do - get started...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

PPC traffic is a learned skill unto itself. No easier than learning other forms of marketing - except PPC costs you money. You have to be prepared to spend, spend, and spend some more. You don't make for - in other words, for 10K you spend you are not guaranteed anything. Not even break even.
    This is true. Driving traffic to your site is the real challenge in affiliate marketing and a lot of marketers struggle with PPC and other paid forms of advertising. Much more so in building backlinks.

Much of what they've said is true and none is meant to discourage you. Only meant to set your expectations right. Some newbies were able to earn as soon as 6 months after. Most wait a year.

Let us know how you get on. All the best!
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_uk View Post
    Hi all,

What are peoples views on a complete beginner going from zero to a full time income in 9 months? Is it possible?

I appreciate a full time income differs for different people, so lets say 25-30k per annum.

Also, we're assuming he would have a professional mentor and a bucket load of determination and enthusiasm.

Thanks
    Dave
    After my first year I have earned just under $1k. This has not been full time but I started with zero knowledge and experience put in a huge effort and feel that I now have in place the building blocks to earn much more in the future.

I honestly believe your year 1 expectations are unrealistic but do not be put off. Aim for as high as you want, be prepared for setbacks and with a fair wind you could be earning good money in a couple of years.

Best wishes for your success.
    Last edited by daiarian; March 27th, 2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
    0 to $1m before I am 70, Ok maybe 71 !!! (April 2013)
    You Can Eat Our Noodles Without Gaining A Pound
    What is this life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare.

I am just as new as you are to affiliate marketing and my goals are just as high, which maybe is because 99% percent of the sites that you come across looking for affiliate knowledge and tips tell you about how "You can make $1,000,000 a month by buying my ten step program".

That being said, and coming from someone who is only slightly further ahead in the affiliate game than you(1 conversion so far), I'll tell you what I have done once I've researched and found a niche to help me get my sites up and drive some initial test traffic:

Learn PPC: PPC is an amazing way to test your site/sites before investing a ton of money in them. I got a $75 adwords credit and used that to validate my first site.

Learn Wordpress: I don't know what the experienced guys would say here, but I love love love wordpress. I've been using it for almost 4 years now and it is by far the best way to put up beautiful, feature-rich websites in a hurry. Lynda.com provides amazing tutorials that will help you learn very quickly.

There is a ton more that I need to learn and I try and read tons of forums and blogs any time I have a spare minute.

Obviously I am no affiliate marketing expert, but I feel like if you could at least do those two things it would be a good kickstart to help get you on your way.

Affiliate Experts: Feel free to chime in if there is something crucial I've missed

10. Thanks From:

Keep in mind that for new domains there is a 6 month "sandbox" that Google puts you in where you wont rank for anything except exact match searches unless you really know what you are doing with SEO.

If you purchase an existing domain you don't necessarily need to worry about this, although your site will be ranking for whatever terms it was optimized for before you got a hold of it.

Google likes long time websites. It doesn't want anyone to be able to come in and rank highly for anything in 9 months.

Even if you know what you are doing, and you take out the learning process, if you are launching a new site in a new area, I wouldn't expect to make anything much in the first year.

12. Thanks From:

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread