how to handle order missing inquiry
    Hi All,

I received an order missing inquiry from one publisher about two missing orders. I can't find the two orders in commission detail report on CJ , however, they can be found in our order system. It is strange that both of the two orders were made by one client and his email address is not a private one, it is a website contact email address.

Is this a fraud? Will you compensate an affiliate which generated a sale by himself?

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could give me some advice on how to handle order missing inquiry.

Thanks,
    Shirley

Many times affiliates place orders with merchants that they are promoting for a couple of different reasons. One obvious reason is the commission, which is like receiving an additional discount. A more important reason is that it allows us to test the tracking on a merchant's site. There is an entire forum here on ABW dedicated to Test Purchase Reports.

Most merchants (at least the ones I work with) don't have a problem with an affiliate ordering from their affiliate link, in fact, some encourage it because it familiarizes the affiliate with the merchant's products, checkout, shipping, etc.. The more we know about you, the better we can promote you. But regardless of how you feel about the practice, unless you have forbidden it in your TOS, the purchase is perfectly legitimate.

The bigger issue is that the order didn't track. Which is a major problem. If an affiliate's order didn't track then there are no doubt others that aren't tracking either. Which means that affiliates are losing money. Which is totally unacceptable.

If you suspect fraud, then work with the affiliate to discover why the order didn't track and perhaps you can set both of your minds at ease.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

3. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by rematt View Post
    Many times affiliates place orders with merchants that they are promoting for a couple of different reasons. One obvious reason is the commission, which is like receiving an additional discount. A more important reason is that it allows us to test the tracking on a merchant's site. There is an entire forum here on ABW dedicated to Test Purchase Reports.

Most merchants (at least the ones I work with) don't have a problem with an affiliate ordering from their affiliate link, in fact, some encourage it because it familiarizes the affiliate with the merchant's products, checkout, shipping, etc.. The more we know about you, the better we can promote you. But regardless of how you feel about the practice, unless you have forbidden it in your TOS, the purchase is perfectly legitimate.

The bigger issue is that the order didn't track. Which is a major problem. If an affiliate's order didn't track then there are no doubt others that aren't tracking either. Which means that affiliates are losing money. Which is totally unacceptable.

If you suspect fraud, then work with the affiliate to discover why the order didn't track and perhaps you can set both of your minds at ease.

-rematt
    Thanks very much for your helpful reply.

Outsourced Program Manager Marsha Liebert's Avatar
    Another more common scenario is that the publisher is a rebate/loyalty site. They offer cash rebates or rewards back to the customer based off of their earned commission. they rely on CJ's tracking to show the order coming through so they can appropriately pay or reward the customer for using their site.

There are many reasons an order may not track depending on how you set up tracking or the customer's browser and cookie settings.

What'll happen is the customer is expecting their rebate/reward and will make a claim with the publisher site. The publisher will then forward that over to the merchant either directly or using CJ's inquiry tool.

Hope that helps.
    [COLOR="DimGray"]Marsha Liebert, Sr. Affiliate Manager[/COLOR]
    [B]Gen3 Marketing[/B]
    :envelope: mliebert @ gen3marketing.com | :telephone 215-302-1653 | [URL="http://marshaaffiliateblog.blogspot.com"][B]My Affiliate Blog[/B][/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Marsha Liebert View Post
    Another more common scenario is that the publisher is a rebate/loyalty site. They offer cash rebates or rewards back to the customer based off of their earned commission. they rely on CJ's tracking to show the order coming through so they can appropriately pay or reward the customer for using their site.

There are many reasons an order may not track depending on how you set up tracking or the customer's browser and cookie settings.

What'll happen is the customer is expecting their rebate/reward and will make a claim with the publisher site. The publisher will then forward that over to the merchant either directly or using CJ's inquiry tool.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Marsha

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread