ABW Ambassador
    Google's Next Move: Leveling the SEO Playing Field?
    For those who have not heard, Matt Cutts made a comment last week about an upcoming rankings change designed to target “Over Optimization” in an attempt to level the SEO playing field.

This could be big...

Rough quote:
    "What about the people optimizing really hard and doing a lot of SEO. We don't normally pre-announce changes but there is something we are working in the last few months and hope to release it in the next months or few weeks. We are trying to level the playing field a bit. All those people doing, for lack of a better word, over optimization or overly SEO - versus those making great content and great site. We are trying to make GoogleBot smarter, make our relevance better, and we are also looking for those who abuse it, like too many keywords on a page, or exchange way too many links or go well beyond what you normally expect. We have several engineers on my team working on this right now."
    When the only tool you have is a hammer - everything looks like a nail.

2. Thanks From:
    kse

ABW Ambassador
    From the same people that tell you to drown your site in Adsense

Half of what comes out of their mouth is more just trying to get people to help them out. This is another way to try to get people to stop buying links and such. This stuff and the semantic stuff (that's actually been done for awhile now). We'll see, your traffic to your site will be the truth.

4. Thanks From:

A lot of people (almost everybody, Google included) give Google way too much credit.

The last few algo changes have blown the weight of relevance to smithereens. And most of the most relevant pages for just about any query are overoptimized by nature.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

The last few algo changes have blown the weight of relevance to smithereens
    Agreed.

What exactly does "level the playing field" mean..? If they plan to fix what they broke, fine.. otherwise it's nothing but an attention-getting comment to stem the tide of bad publicity. They've been stringing webmasters along for years, frankly I've had enough.

"Be warned.. we're still doing things"

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    They've been stringing webmasters along for years, frankly I've had enough.

"Be warned.. we're still doing things"
    Couldn't agree more.

Who's this Matt Cutts anyway? I know most of you are probably laughing out loud thinking I should know him as a webmaster. To be honest, I've never followed what he said other than hearing his name be mentioned here and there.

Seriously, what else is new?

Here is an excerpt from the #2 ranked site for one of my targeted terms:

"We’re professional introducer of Amazon celebrity style and fashion things. We work with Amazon and these celebrity style things on our website have superior quality but with low price,affordable celebrity style clothing and jewelry are great benefits for celebrity style lovers around the world. Our Goal:Share quality celebrity style clothing and jewelry fans worldwide, help them build up their collections of celebrity style clothing jewelries with affordable price to keep our shop running as to serve them better.Provide widest selections of celebrity style clothing jewelries online."

And no, the keyword is not celebrity style - they are top ranked for an Amazon product that matches my keyword.

Google needs to seriously read their own guidelines:
    Would you trust the information presented in this article?
    Is this article written by an expert or enthusiast who knows the topic well, or is it more shallow in nature?
    Does the site have duplicate, overlapping, or redundant articles on the same or similar topics with slightly different keyword variations?
    Would you be comfortable giving your credit card information to this site?
    Does this article have spelling, stylistic, or factual errors?
    Are the topics driven by genuine interests of readers of the site, or does the site generate content by attempting to guess what might rank well in search engines?
    Does the article provide original content or information, original reporting, original research, or original analysis?
    Does the page provide substantial value when compared to other pages in search results?
    How much quality control is done on content?
    Does the article describe both sides of a story?
    Is the site a recognized authority on its topic?
    Is the content mass-produced by or outsourced to a large number of creators, or spread across a large network of sites, so that individual pages or sites don’t get as much attention or care?
    Was the article edited well, or does it appear sloppy or hastily produced?

As long as you're following basic white hat SEO guidelines and creating value on your site I don't think you've got much to worry about. If your site consists of a data feed with manufacturer product descriptions, then you'd better be creating a lot of valuable content to offset it.

Otherwise, I think all these Google algorithmic changes are just fluff.

Stick to the basics and create a great user experience.

I don't know anything about this website, so, Mods, feel free to delete this link, please, if it's not allowed. But for anyone wanting to hear the full presentation this quote comes from, here's a site with the podcast of it. (I listened to part of it, then started dozing off. LOL!)

Dear Google & Bing: Help Me Rank Better!

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

11. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    That's a good site, link is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy View Post
    I don't know anything about this website, so, Mods, feel free to delete this link, please, if it's not allowed. But for anyone wanting to hear the full presentation this quote comes from, here's a site with the podcast of it. (I listened to part of it, then started dozing off. LOL!)

Dear Google & Bing: Help Me Rank Better!

Gary
    Thanks for sharing Gary! The podcast was dragging in some parts, but it does have very good information.

It sounds ridiculous: Google penalizing sites that are "over-SEO". But I do see their point that some websites have plenty of content, but still lack quality and relevance.

I think as long as you have quality content and make your site accessible, then there's nothing to worry about.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread