Affiliate Manager
    Sketchy E-Mail
    Hey Guys,

I just received an e-mail that I'm not sure what to do with. It seems a little sketchy to me, but I thought I would come to where the more knowledgeable affiliate managers are to get some feedback. Please let me know what you think:

I'm a super affiliate in the Internet marketing niche and I'm interested in promoting your product. I have a very powerful and unique method of generating sales, which you've probably never heard of before. So, before I use it I would like to get your approval first.

I will send a spike of sales immediately and then sales over time.

Note that we have generated $500,000 in the IM niche using this methodology. It's completely white hat.

Please reply back if you are interested. This is NOT a sales call.

Thanks,
    Jake Fannin
    McintoshMarketing.com
    OnlineMarketingContests.com

Fighting the good fight... Convergence's Avatar
    $500K with a domain just registered Dececember 22, 2011? Impressive.

OnlineMarketingContests.com - $15,000 Internet Marketing Contest | Feb 1st

Never heard of them...
    Merchants: In the fashion or home appliance niches? Contact us for placement opportunities for: the US (National and now LOCAL markets), UK, and CA.

3. Thanks From:

I would be very leery about any affiliate that has a "unique method of generating sales, which you've probably never heard of before".

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Affiliate Manager
    Agreed
    I am very leery. That's why I wanted to check with you all. I figured if he was legit then one of you would know. Thanks for the feedback.

First red flag: "I'm a super affiliate in the Internet marketing niche"

My super affiliates don't call themselves super affiliates.
    Greg Hoffman
    Best OPM/Agency 2014 - Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award; Best OPM/Agency, Five Years in a Row - ABestWeb. Join My Programs. Forum. Facebook. Blog.

7. Thanks From:

They're asking you to approve something without really telling you what it is.

The only reason they would do this, is if it violates your TOS. Otherwise, they would just proceed normally like any other affiliate...

9. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by simcat View Post
    They're asking you to approve something without really telling you what it is.

The only reason they would do this, is if it violates your TOS. Otherwise, they would just proceed normally like any other affiliate...
    That's kind of what I thought, that or else it's something illegal, so if I approve it then I'm liable too.

Thanks again everyone. You've all confirmed my suspicions.

Affiliate Manager
    Whenever I get a slightly sketchy e-mail request to be an affiliate or paid review, I just direct them to our ShareASale or GAN program. That usually scares off the creeps, and if it is legitimate, then you will be able to utilize their self-proclaimed successful website.
    KidsExclusive.com Affiliate Manager
    affiliates@kids-exclusive.com

12. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    Great Idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidsExclusive View Post
    Whenever I get a slightly sketchy e-mail request to be an affiliate or paid review, I just direct them to our ShareASale or GAN program. That usually scares off the creeps, and if it is legitimate, then you will be able to utilize their self-proclaimed successful website.
    Great idea! Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread