Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Is it TOO late to jump into the affiliate marketing game?
    I would think the answer would be no, but... I have this uncanny knack for jumping into an industry a day late and a dollar short. Like, the mortgage industry 1 year before the housing crash, like the home improvement industry right after the housing crash, now...... I keep my day job, but try my hand at affiliate marketing.

Just wanted to get your temperature on the current state of the affiliate marketing industry.

it's never too late
    I am just getting in myself. I have done alot of poking around over past month. I plan on taking a boot camp session by James Martell.

Buying online will continue to grow as it is convenient and easy! So i'd say you would be safe. Just don't get discouraged when you try different niche's and what not, you will find your expertise.

Learn SEO while learning Affiliate Marketing. They will go hand in hand very nicely.

Good luck!

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Nothing left, all dried up. Move along, nothing to see here.

This industry is actually strong and thriving. Jump in!
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

You joined on a very good day, Filmore March 16th was my birthday.
    Is anyone taking any training sessions or courses?

awesome news guys! yea, I figured the internet is only growing and growing. I'm really excited! just doing my research upfront and starting after that.

Can anyone answer the quick question of.... what search to compete ratio is good?

Like Google Keyword search returns 5000 searches a month with a competing marketing of 22,000? that doesn't sound too promising. Anyone have an opinion on what they look for when it comes to search vs compete.

Affiliate summit! would be a good convention to attend. The next one is in Austin, TX May 15-16th & the New York (Which I will be attending as a sponsor) will be August 12-14th.

I would also recommend looking at some other affiliate forums such as wicked fire and the forum on affiliate summit. Their is this place called the warrior forum.. but its just affiliates trying to sell affiliates other stuff to make other affiliates stuff even better for their affiliates. lol

A Best Web is one of the top & cleanest by far so stick around here!

8. Thanks From:

Is anyone taking any training sessions or courses?
    You will find mixed opinions here - many folks here (myself included) are of the opinion that only the instructor gets rich off affiliate marketing courses.

Think about it - if someone knew all the secrets, wouldn't they be getting rich being an affiliate themselves..?

That's not to say you can't learn things like web design, effective site design, php/mysql techniques (all of which are needed to manage a website), etc. But beware any course that offers a canned website & hosting, it only benefits them.

Quote Originally Posted by andymisiu View Post
    awesome news guys! yea, I figured the internet is only growing and growing. I'm really excited! just doing my research upfront and starting after that.

Can anyone answer the quick question of.... what search to compete ratio is good?

Like Google Keyword search returns 5000 searches a month with a competing marketing of 22,000? that doesn't sound too promising. Anyone have an opinion on what they look for when it comes to search vs compete.
    Search for exact matches! you will get a better idea of how much traffic you will actually get.

I would also look into studying the google ad words certification program if you plan on doing PPC through google. Optimization is key!

Smile
    The instructor, James Martell is an affiliate Marketer.
    Plus I think I need to learn the nuts and bolts and get a little structure in the my start up venture

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    You will find mixed opinions here - many folks here (myself included) are of the opinion that only the instructor gets rich off affiliate marketing courses.

Think about it - if someone knew all the secrets, wouldn't they be getting rich being an affiliate themselves..?

That's not to say you can't learn things like web design, effective site design, php/mysql techniques (all of which are needed to manage a website), etc. But beware any course that offers a canned website & hosting, it only benefits them.
    Autodidacticism!

just take your time and keep researching.

I completely agree with teezone!

His 1965 shelby replica looks pretty nice! I have about 8 years of affiliate marketing under my belt and im about to trade in my truck for my dream car, 2009 m3 lol but hey.. I have a good job as a affiliate manager for my company and I spend maybe 3-5 hours on the weekends on my websites to earn around $600-$800 per month. Im not the best but I do know the ropes.

Just remember you need to be passionate about what you are going to promote. Wether it be from 1 thing or 25 things... just get as knowledgable as you can in your products!

How many sites do you have? Do you promote more than one product on a site

I just want to pick some good micro niches that I'm interested and knowledgeable with. However, I need to know what a good search volume to competition volume there is, what do you guys look for?

Is it at least 5,000 in search volume and under 1,000 in competing pages? what's your number to shoot for?

If I can add...

I only host my sites with webfaction, build sites with wordpress and use themeforest for nice website templates!

Just my recommendations! cheap, good support, and easy to do.

I also stick to informational type websites instead of sticking to straight product selling, and then tie in a product or comparison here and there via contextual links within a how to article or this is better than that. Works out nicely.. and of coarse you can throw some banners up here and there.

Learn SEO!! go to seomoz and read the beginner tutorial on seo and read up on the users blogs. PPC and other methods will get you direct results fast.. but SEO will kick a** in the long run.

Also become familiar with google analytics!

Brick and motor!

17. Thanks From:

I have about 7 websites that do all the money making.. but 31 in total. I don't really try to put affiliate stuff all over it until I get it ranked on page 1 or it is getting around 30-50 hits per day one of my sites is a justin bieber fan site that is getting 80-120 hits per day.. I just can't seem to get those kids to buy my bieber posters hahah. So its hit and miss, know what target market buys and what doesn't.. maybe the kids want his CD's.. idk.. but I hear males 25+ buy allot online so figure out what they want! and be trendy!!

SEO is slow, don't get discouraged.. I would start with 2-3 different niche's and spread your time evenly. Add content.. if you aren't good at writing use textbroker and pick your keywords and stick between a 1-3% keyword density with no more than 3 keywords.

I use seo by yoast with wordpress as well, it is a plugin! very nice and hasn't done me wrong. Also get security plugins bcz when you do start ranking.. people notice and will try and break into your wordpress.. I think wordpres is stable for now.. just be careful.

Get at least 10 pages of good quality content and make it so they are some what relevant to each other and link back and forth..... then wait! you will see people to start trickling in within 2 week I promise.

Stay away from the coupon niche.. its flooded. Sounds promising but it sucked, its one of those things where you have to put allot of time, effort, and money into developing a good coupon site.

19. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by andymisiu View Post
    I just want to pick some good micro niches that I'm interested and knowledgeable with. However, I need to know what a good search volume to competition volume there is, what do you guys look for?

Is it at least 5,000 in search volume and under 1,000 in competing pages? what's your number to shoot for?
    I wouldn't stress about the ratio of competition! just do it up, go big or go home it'll be worth it. If its a for sure buyers keyword.. like "buy apple mac book air vga converter" and it has the 5,000 search or 1,000 competing pages.. go for it! but more likely than not.. you might be discouraged about certain keywords especially if no one searches them.. 1,000 competing pages sounds pretty low and would indicate maybe no one really searches for it.

I play in the range of (11,100,000 other results) and If I can hit page 1 and then rank up to 1-3 I will be doing very very well. It takes allot of time though!

Quote Originally Posted by fillmore View Post
    I have about 7 websites that do all the money making.. but 31 in total. I don't really try to put affiliate stuff all over it until I get it ranked on page 1 or it is getting around 30-50 hits per day one of my sites is a justin bieber fan site that is getting 80-120 hits per day.. I just can't seem to get those kids to buy my bieber posters hahah. So its hit and miss, know what target market buys and what doesn't.. maybe the kids want his CD's.. idk.. but I hear males 25+ buy allot online so figure out what they want! and be trendy!!

SEO is slow, don't get discouraged.. I would start with 2-3 different niche's and spread your time evenly. Add content.. if you aren't good at writing use textbroker and pick your keywords and stick between a 1-3% keyword density with no more than 3 keywords.

I use seo by yoast with wordpress as well, it is a plugin! very nice and hasn't done me wrong. Also get security plugins bcz when you do start ranking.. people notice and will try and break into your wordpress.. I think wordpres is stable for now.. just be careful.

Get at least 10 pages of good quality content and make it so they are some what relevant to each other and link back and forth..... then wait! you will see people to start trickling in within 2 week I promise.

Stay away from the coupon niche.. its flooded. Sounds promising but it sucked, its one of those things where you have to put allot of time, effort, and money into developing a good coupon site.
    Great advise!!! thank you for the insight. Very good. Can I ask..... what search to compete ratio do you look for? what search volume to compete volume?

I also like yoast

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    It's definitely not too late.. just don't try to do it with a template-based, run-of the-mill coupon site.

I tried to go H.A.M. with the coupon niche but didn't do that well, mostly because maintaining all the affiliate links. Their are services out their to do so.. but even then, it is hard to get accepted into programs.

About 6/10 affiliates are coupon related via SAS & CJ.. Just over saturated.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fillmore View Post
    About 6/10 affiliates are coupon related via SAS & CJ.. Just over saturated.
    Define "coupon related", please...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

"In marketing, a coupon is a ticket or document that can be exchanged for a financial discount or rebate when purchasing a product." -

Interesting fact time: "Coupons first saw widespread use in the United States in 1909 when C. W. Post conceived the idea to help sell breakfast cereals and other products."

Coupon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So any affiliate that has at least one website that falls under those terms, I would deem "coupon related". If we have differences.. sorry.

Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    I cannot get enough niche affiliates for t-shirts! As one of my clients has more than 6,000 tees in multiple colours (so over 20k tees) covering television programs, movies, music, slogans, themes, fan based etc I am always looking for more affiliates. A decent fan based site or themed site can easily generate 4 figures in sales a month organically and seeing I represent probably now the biggest t-shirt supplier in the UK (which also has a significant US customer base), I am grabbing every affiliate which can produce these sort of sites.
    Flambi Media Limited - USA/UK/EU Affiliate Management Expertise

Don't think it is late at all, they say ' it's never too late' - Good luck - by the way - what niche did you decide on ?
    [URL="http://affiliates.oranum.com/ref.php?w=100803"]$100 CPA / 50% Commission / 20% Referrals[/url]
    [B][URL="http://affiliates.oranum.com/ref.php?w=100803"]We double your first, $100 you make with us [/URL][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Kate_Oranum View Post
    Don't think it is late at all, they say ' it's never too late' - Good luck - by the way - what niche did you decide on ?
    I haven't decided on a niche just yet. I'm still learning how to choose a niche, how to compete with seo and so on.

What's a better competition search gauge:

allintitle: "keyword" or allintitle: [keyword] ?

Thanks for the good words.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast