How long it takes for Google to recognize 301s
    I received some good advice in this thread: http://www.abestweb.com/forums/searc...on-154315.html and implemented a successful php solution almost a week ago. Unfortunately I lost 3 weeks as the first solution did the redirect, but not the 301.

I realize it's a guessing game as to how long it will take Google to drop all the old URLs (WMT documentation says it can take 6-8 weeks), it's just very important to me, as I think faulty URLS caused my site to lose some ranking.

There are 10-15 googlebots on my server at ALL times, so I'm hopeful it will be sooner rather than later. In the meantime, all I can do is wait and continue to publish new content.

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with the timing of site-wide 301 redirects?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    By experience it all depends on how many links are being redirected and if you use a sitemap.

The Google is actually pretty quick at showing new URLs. Have had sites that showed the new URLs over the old URLs in a matter of about two weeks and those were 20,000-30,000 page sites.

One thing that I have noticed is the Google seems to do SERP updates in batches. Sometimes it seems to take forever and then one day - POOF - old URLs replaced. Have never been able to detect a pattern or a schedule. However, have never seen it take 6-8 weeks...

Wishing you luck!
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Did this with an affiliate several years ago under the direction of our SEO guy (he knew his stuff). He said it was going to take upwards of 90 days to transfer all authority to all pages.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Did this with an affiliate several years ago under the direction of our SEO guy (he knew his stuff). He said it was going to take upwards of 90 days to transfer all authority to all pages.
    Not exactly the same thing as recognizing the 301 redirects - but good to know...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Thanks for the insight, Convergence.

I'm nearing the ledge as my site took another downturn in the past 1-2 weeks. Now given what happened, it does make sense... I flooded the search engines with the NEW clean URLs, while not correctly 301'ing the old messy ones (and there were many!). So I've temporarily duplicated my duplicate content.

That being said, I've tested the old URLs every which way, and 301s are firmly in place (since last week). The only bright spot here is that Google is spidering my site at a fever pitch...

I've seen some of the new urls in the SERPS, so they have been nicely added, but when I do a "site:" search for the old naming convention, there they are, cached in February.

This has been a humbling experience - it started out as a programming workaround, when I should have asked for help, and spawned out of control.

superCool is waiting for some 404s to get processed. lots of dead pages just sitting there in the google (site:...). don't know if it matters, but would feel better if they were out of the SERPs. Seems to be taking forever.

good luck teezone!

That it does. Google forever.
    Bing eternity!
    Where's the Great Life of Affiliate Marketing Hiding?

You can submit old url to Googel webmaster tool for deletion from Google cache. Google says it take 3 months to deleted form index. By using the redirect code can also suggest google to destroy the 1st page.

Post How long it takes for Google to recognize 301s
    Its A matter of time. No one tell you the exact. Its up to the Google crawler when did it review your website code. Its not a big issue i think.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread