Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Best Niche Domain Format?
    what's the best format for a website domain when it comes to starting a niche site?

www.keywordkeywordkeyword com

or

www.keyword-keyword-keyword com

and why?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Really no longer relevant as far as having the "keyword" in your domain.

However, no hyphens.

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/domai...sh-150858.html

Your URL structure is far more important than the domain itself...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Really no longer relevant as far as having the "keyword" in your domain.

However, no hyphens.

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/domai...sh-150858.html

Your URL structure is far more important than the domain itself...
    Reading the relevant thread.

So, it no longer matters to have your homepage include your keyword? That's what the domain name is right? your home page.

Typically your Home Page is when someone goes to www.your-domain-name.ext/index.php, index.asp, index.htm, index.html etc - how you set up your home page is up to you. It can include the index page or any other page you make your Home Page.

But to over simplify it - yes, most use just their domain as their Home Page...

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by andymisiu View Post
    Reading the relevant thread.

So, it no longer matters to have your homepage include your keyword? That's what the domain name is right? your home page.
    You don't need it to rank well but it does help. If you're making a site on blue widgets, bluewidgets.com would be a nice domain to have. It helps having those keywords in there, reinforces what the site is about when viewed by somebody and when getting links in from other sites, they're going to link to your site with the keyword/keyword phrase you're targetting.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    You don't need it to rank well but it does help. If you're making a site on blue widgets, bluewidgets.com would be a nice domain to have. It helps having those keywords in there, reinforces what the site is about when viewed by somebody and when getting links in from other sites, they're going to link to your site with the keyword/keyword phrase you're targetting.
    Unless you're a household name like the Google, Yahoo, Bing, Orbitz, Priceline, CraigsList, AngiesList etc. - None of those names depict what is on their pages. So, I agree "helpful" to some extent - but not needed. IMhO...

ABW Ambassador
    Right, but we're not talking that level, you just named some of the biggest sites on the internet. If you're starting out an affiliate site, the keywords in the domain help, there's no doubt about it. I gave just one example here - http://www.abestweb.com/forums/1116047-post59.html

Even with major sites it helps. I don't think Shoes.com is the best shoe merchant out there, but they rank #1 for shoes on both Google and Yahoo/Bing, part of the reason is that when you link to that site, you're automatically linking using a major keyword, shoes.

Not needed, I agree with you, but it does help out a lot, especially niche sites.
    Last edited by Trust; March 21st, 2012 at 04:19 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    what's the best format for a website domain when it comes to starting a niche site?

www.keywordkeywordkeyword com

or

www.keyword-keyword-keyword com
    Go with www.keywordkeywordkeyword com if you could.

and why?
    Think like your potential customers.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by mayfly View Post
    Go with www.keywordkeywordkeyword com if you could.

Think like your potential customers.
    Yep, I've never been a fan of dashes in the domain because I'm always thinking a little bigger. Not only SEO, but offline marketing, the ole radio test, easy to remember etc. So if they're the exact same keywords, get the one without dashes. Google doesn't have a problem parsing out the keywords.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I agree that keyword in the domain has a psychological benefit just as studies have shown that PPC ad (sponsored listing) enhances your organic listings. Consider it double branding.

If you can have your main keyword in your domain and still have it sounding interesting, then great. But you don't really have to twist yourself thinking about a good domain name. A few things to remember when deciding is that it's interesting, related to what your site is and is a .com. Avoid misspelled words and punctuation marks too.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

What if the targeted niche has three words in it's search? I understand the name doesn't HAVE to have the keywords in it, but I also understand how it could be beneficial as well. Just to give you an example seach is

Baltimore Keyword Keyword

www baltimorekeywordkeyword com

But, if I left Baltimore out

www keywordkeyword com

I still think that searchers would link the domain name to their search, but would contain one less keyword from their EXACT search.

would you be more likely to click on a site that matched your exact search and didn't seem spammy, or would you be fine with a site that contained two of your keywords and still made sense.

ABW Ambassador
    If your site target audience are from Baltimore or you are promoting products of Baltimore(for example: Baltimore Hotels), then you probably want to include "Baltimore" in your domain.

Quote Originally Posted by mayfly View Post
    If your site target audience are from Baltimore or you are promoting products of Baltimore(for example: Baltimore Hotels), then you probably want to include "Baltimore" in your domain.
    But if you wanted to make a site about Hotels, lets say

"hotelreviews"

You would then want to attract a national audience, and if you wanted to hit a more specific niche audience, you would create a page "Baltimore Hotel Reviews" in the "hotelreviews" site, correct?

(I kinda merged two topics together by mistake, but this all has really helped me out, thanks to everyone!)
    Last edited by andymisiu; March 22nd, 2012 at 02:06 PM.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Either you are niche or you are not. This is becoming paralysis of analysis!

16. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Either you are niche or you are not. This is becoming paralysis of analysis!
    Yea, I suffer from a bit of that. The good news, I finally have assured and reassured my understanding of the threaded subject. So we can move on now, thanks.

18. Thanks From:

You've mentioned Baltimore a couple times. Are you, by any chance, from the Baltimore area?
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    You've mentioned Baltimore a couple times. Are you, by any chance, from the Baltimore area?
    Yep, I live in the County of Baltimore at the moment, but have lived inside the City as well... in the Canton area.

There is a local Meetup (Affiliate Summit Mini-Meetup) set for Tuesday evening at the buy.at office in South Baltimore. Might be a great opportunity to meet some "local" Affiliate Marketers in person. At this point Jill and I are planning to be there. I know there will be a couple of top guns there - everyone is friendly - and you would be more than welcome. The meeting is usually followed by an informal gathering at a local watering hole (within walking distance).
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

jump on that!

Wish I could, sounds like a great opportunity! unfortunately I work 12pm-9pm on Tuesday and a training to conduct in the evening. Thanks for the invite.

Having the keyword in your domain does have a little weight! all depends on what you are doing with the site.. if you are going ultra niche.. yes it will help.. but if you are re inventing the search engine.. then make it whatever you want!

Edit: And by weight I mean.. a factor of maybe 1/200 others or even larger! but I think it falls into the 1/200 bracket in SEO.

Sorry you can't make the Meetup, Andy. Maybe next month? I don't make them all (in fact, miss quite a few) because I live at the beach (Fenwick Island ) but still have a "second" home near the Inner Harbor - and get to Bmore a couple times a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Sorry you can't make the Meetup, Andy. Maybe next month? I don't make them all (in fact, miss quite a few) because I live at the beach (Fenwick Island ) but still have a "second" home near the Inner Harbor - and get to Bmore a couple times a month.
    Sounds like a plan Bill, I'll check the dates and hopefully will be available.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast