Monetizing a Sports Related Site?
    Hello Everyone! lets get this first idea I have crackin shall we??

I have a niche idea related to my favorite sports team. The question is... how will I monetize it?

At the moment I know of a couple ways.

Adsense: don't think that is going to generate a whole lot of revenue. I just think it looks cheesy when you have advertisements that aren't even related to the subject matter of the site.

Affiliate Programs: This is probably what I'm gonna want to do.

YardBarker? heard of that program? seems like they just want to do all the work for you, provide you with ads, and take a piece of your profits. Not so sure I'm interested in that.

I will probably look into a sports apparel affiliate marketing program like fanatics or something like that.

I think amazon lets you be specific about the products you put on your site.

I want the ads to be specific to what sports people would be interested in...

So, very long story short.... any idea's or direction for monetizing a sports related site?

I'm at work now... so I can't spend much time researching this on my own at the moment. Just hoping to get a head start with your help, thanks.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Your seventh paragraph hits it on the head.*

Mix in some product text links in your content, add a graphic or two to each article or post, and add some popshop shops to the site, and you're good to go.

You can also add some related books from Amazon.

___
    *They offer more than just apparel.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    Your seventh paragraph hits it on the head.*

Mix in some product text links in your content, add a graphic or two to each article or post, and add some popshop shops to the site, and you're good to go.

You can also add some related books from Amazon.

___
    *They offer more than just apparel.
    Hey thanks! I was starting to feel stupid about the thread because doing your own research, trial and error and finding successful ideas is what makes a person a good marketer, you can't expect people to just give you the answers.

I appreciate your input!

Tickets, apparel, and Memorabilia programs. Also, there is always an endless amount of junk on eBay for sports teams, check out their program.

Most programs allow you to deep link to a specific item. I'd recommend creating pages targeted for long tail key phrases for a specific item.

Adsense might be a way to start out, but I'd scrap that pretty quick once you start monetizing performance based commissions.

Take heed, Andy. The Dawg knows about which he speaks.

(But don't discount the value of AdSense. It has its place.)
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

This is amazing help guys! awesome stuff! I really appreciate the insight.

IT'S TIME!!!!!

Lets get this first idea rollin, wow! the juices are pumpin!

Question
    Quote Originally Posted by andymisiu View Post
    This is amazing help guys! awesome stuff! I really appreciate the insight.

IT'S TIME!!!!!

Lets get this first idea rollin, wow! the juices are pumpin!
    So, how are ya doing, Andy?

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    hey Andy, I think it was summed up best at BlogWorld on a monetization panel a few years back. CopyBlogger, ProBlogger and Jon Chow were on a panel and they were asked what people should use to monetize: AdSense, Affiliate Programs, Paid Sponsorships? Their simultaneous answer?

Yes.

All of the above can play a role in monetizing your site. It's a matter of testing to see what works best and making sure to balance them all with your user experience. Don't go overboard on your ad count and don't AdSense your site to the point where the user experience is shot. It's more about content than it ever has been, so focus on delivering the goods content wise, be picky with your ads, and make sure that you are working on building your social following and email lists to give you more opportunities.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

Affiliate Manager
    Wade's (AffiliateWarrior) post was great - couldn't have said it better myself. Try a bit of everything and see what converts best for you. You don't want to put all your eggs in one basket in case you drop it (or in this case, Google or Amazon does).

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    I'd also diversify your traffic stream like crazy. Try not to rely on Google for all of your traffic. If you're site is about a team or a league, you can harness social media to drive traffic - everyone loves to discuss their team right ? Make sure you have your social integration handled so it's easy for people to share on Twitter, FB, G+ and StumbleUpon. Participate in communities around your team. Don't blatantly advertise your site there, but participate and make sure your site's address is in your signature. Don't be afraid to be a little controversial or funny from time to time. Sometimes it's posts like this that take on a life of their own. Also - embrace video. YouTube is the second biggest search engine in terms of traffic. If you use video in a way that's engaging, and optimize your YouTube posts for SEO and insert your site address, you can come up with traffic there as well.

Sports sites offer a great opportunity to have some fun while you market as your voice as a fan can really connect with your audience.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread