Clicks stopped tracking
    I am totally puzzled by the fact that clicks on links of one of the merchants I have been promoting for a couple of years suddenly stopped tracking completely on the 21st of March. So far no stats for this merchant for 2 days (with about 30-40 actual clicks). The links are working fine, just no clicks and (possible) sales tracked in CJ. To say the truth I noticed something strange with this merchant in the course of the past week: some days clicks appeared in the performance reports with some 20-24 hours delay, while other merchants were not affected.

Does anyone have an idea how this can happen and what it is supposed to mean?

Thanks.

Already an update. Opened a ticket about the problem with CJ, then wanted to contact the merchant directly. Went to "my advertisers" list and.... oops! The merchant is suddenly not there! Found the advertiser through categories in "get links" and status said "Advertiser expired"! What on earth is this??! Reapplied again, was automatically approved, so probably soon will see new clicks.
    But how the advertiser could suddenly expire without any notifications, especially as I am having sales with them nearly daily??

More then likely you had to except the new Term for the merchant if not you would get expired. 95% of the time you automaticly roll over to the new terms but in 5% of the time you have to except the new terms or you are out.

You should of received an email from CJ stating that you have to except the new terms or you out of the program. I would go back and have a look at your emails from CJ you should have received an email for this merchants new terms.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

4. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    More then likely you had to except the new Term for the merchant if not you would get expired. 95% of the time you automaticly roll over to the new terms but in 5% of the time you have to except the new terms or you are out.

You should of received an email from CJ stating that you have to except the new terms or you out of the program. I would go back and have a look at your emails from CJ you should have received an email for this merchants new terms.
    Kse, thank you very much for your response and advice. I do remember that I got an email about the advertiser's new terms recently and I didn't accept them manually. Just now I have gone through my emails and found this notification. It is dated by the 2nd of March and stipulates the following:

"Here's what you need to do: You can accept the updated offer immediately, or wait for it to automatically activate after the 7-day wait period. No action on your part is perceived as acceptance of the new terms."

So even if we assume it didn't roll over automatically to the new terms, the dates still don't match at all: 7 days from the 2nd of March is the 9th, and I had sales tracked through the 20th.

Maybe they still messed up somehow with the new terms launch? Can't think of anything else for the moment.

After reapplying to the merchant's program today and automatic approval, have already had 2 sales with the merchant...

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by webaurora View Post
    So even if we assume it didn't roll over automatically to the new terms, the dates still don't match at all: 7 days from the 2nd of March is the 9th, and I had sales tracked through the 20th.
    How long is their cookie?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    How long is their cookie?
    Changed from 45 days in the old terms to 30 days in the new terms.

Distinct possibility that your existing cookies from before the termination existed on the users' computer when they made a purchase...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Distinct possibility that your existing cookies from before the termination existed on the users' computer when they made a purchase...
    Theoretically yes, practically no. Two reasons:

1) Through the 21st of March number of daily clicks on the merchant's links in CJ reports was apparently more or less corresponding those from actual site's visitors. If the affiliation expired in 7 days after the notification, i.e. on the 9th, where those 12-20 daily clicks until the 21st of March come from?

2) I have very low number of sales from existing cookies on the users' computer in general. For this merchant I would say not more than a few per month. And until the 20th of March my sales with the merchant were at regular level.

Hmmm. Out of possible answers...

Me too I will post here once I have any explanation from the merchant and/or CJ.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Yes you need to be in contact with the merchant for an explanation. Its possible they changed their tracking and had some downtime. I have had merchants change their cart without telling us and killing the pixel.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Yes you need to be in contact with the merchant for an explanation. Its possible they changed their tracking and had some downtime. I have had merchants change their cart without telling us and killing the pixel.
    Thanks, Chuck. But changing the tracking would probably only result in no clicks and sales in CJ reports, not in sudden "advertiser expired" status? As I wrote above, after rejoining the program, I am having sales with the merchant again (started directly several hours later). So I guess the tracking is OK (no one would bother to fix it at weekend)

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Changing the thank you page which you would only know about if you placed a test order would stop tracking but clicks would still record. If they changed terms and upgraded the tracking then its possible that you lost several days worth of commissions. It happens often enough that I would be on the phone with them Monday morning to see what they have to say.

OK, now I have a couple of emails from the merchant with clarification of what happened and not one word from CJ...

The original assumption from Kse + 2 blunders from CJ = advertiser expired!

The first blunder was the notification email from CJ regarding the new terms. The email was supposed to inform that affiliates needed to opt in to our new terms or they would be automatically expired. Instead of that email claimed that "No action on your part is perceived as acceptance of the new terms".

Then, according to the merchant, CJ had a glitch with the new terms not taking effect on the date that they were supposed, and CJ even acknowledged the glitch. It was fixed 3 weeks later.

And finally latest information from the merchant who has heard back from CJ: it seems like there were multiple glitches in the system and we are trying to overcome them one at a time.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread