Affiliate Manager
    Question Productivity of a link building campaign
    Approximately how long would y'all expect a good link building campaign (white hat only) would take to get a website from alexa ranking 250,000 to 100,000? Or does link building primarily effect Pagerank?

What strategies would you use to make this happen?
    In order from greatest to least importance, I'm following this method:

Forum posting
    blog commenting
    blog writing (on our wordpress)

Following this strategy, I'm improving our alexa ranking by approx 1k daily. our goal is to hit 100,000 by April 30. Is that a reasonable goal? At this rate we will not hit it, so I need y'alls input!

P.S. this thread is specifically for the link building portion of the campaign. Feel free to add input on other SEO techniques though

Thanks! <3

Do not take this the wrong way but since you are the Affiliate Manager would your time not be better spent working with your affiliates to help increase sales???
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Affiliate Manager
    Good point. We need affiliates first, though. Increasing awareness of our platform means more affiliates would want to work with us, yes?

Alexa ranking has nothing to do with PageRank.. it's a vague indicator of traffic.

Having said that, I think your own blog posting is the best strategy, which in turn might generate some real backlinks. Forum & blog posting (for the sole reason of backlinks) feels spammy.

You're better off trying to build your brand through affiliates.
    Increasing awareness of our platform means more affiliates would want to work with us, yes
    That's like asking which comes first, the chicken or the egg. A well written introduction to your program goes a long way to getting affiliate's interest. They might be less interested if they see link-drops everywhere.

Just my two cents worth...

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post

Just my two cents worth...
    You've got a valid point too. Thanks for the input. I'm new to the whole obtaining affiliates thing. We have our own affiliate program, but I don't know the first thing about getting affiliates to market our platform. Many of the major platforms don't like us not using their affiliate system, so I feel like that cuts out a major share of potential affiliates.

ABW Ambassador
    Personally, I have never given my Alexa rankings much thought. It only counts a small portion of the traffic to my sites - specifically users with the Alexa toolbar installed. Do you know anyone with this obscure toolbar installed on their browser? I don't. Plus, I used to date a girl named Alexa and I'd rather not be reminded of her.
    When the only tool you have is a hammer - everything looks like a nail.

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianDave View Post
    Personally, I have never given my Alexa rankings much thought. It only counts a small portion of the traffic to my sites - specifically users with the Alexa toolbar installed. Do you know anyone with this obscure toolbar installed on their browser? I don't. Plus, I used to date a girl named Alexa and I'd rather not be reminded of her.
    It may not be a very accurate representation, but it's still a valid tool to check progress. I got a new computer yesterday, and when I installed chrome, it asked if I wanted to install Alexa. Hmm...

Many of the major platforms don't like us not using their affiliate system
    Are you saying you're an in-house program..?

As a publisher, I prefer to stay within the networks - I can stay on top of the latest links & banners for many stores at one time, not to mention the automation process.

If you're an independent program, you will have your work cut out for you, but I'll let AMs speak to that as I'm only giving you the publisher's point of view. It's also worth mentioning it's not an easy to get the attention of affiliates - we are all busy trying to build traffic to our own site. I don't often go looking for new programs, but watch network announcements.

And as a sidebar (scuse the pun), if the Alexa toolbar is on your own computer, you might be partially responsible for the increased ranking.

9. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    Are you saying you're an in-house program..?

As a publisher, I prefer to stay within the networks - I can stay on top of the latest links & banners for many stores at one time, not to mention the automation process.

If you're an independent program, you will have your work cut out for you, but I'll let AMs speak to that as I'm only giving you the publisher's point of view. It's also worth mentioning it's not an easy to get the attention of affiliates - we are all busy trying to build traffic to our own site. I don't often go looking for new programs, but watch network announcements.

And as a sidebar (scuse the pun), if the Alexa toolbar is on your own computer, you might be partially responsible for the increased ranking.
    Yes we have an in-house program.

Okay thanks for the input.

What does Alexa have to do with the success of an affiliate program? It's not a measure of success. It won't get you any affiliates. And it's not a metric that's taken seriously.

If you're basing your success on this system and have your heart set on Alexa rankings search Google for 'Alexa Toolbar Traffic Exchange'. I'm sure you could boost the hell out of your rankings in just a few days and move onto spending your time doing better things.

This post isn't meant to be a rant. Sorry if it came off that way. I'm just trying to understand why you are focused on Alexa.

BTW, one of my best performing merchants is an in-house program.

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by calebtheredwood View Post
    What does Alexa have to do with the success of an affiliate program? It's not a measure of success. It won't get you any affiliates. And it's not a metric that's taken seriously.

If you're basing your success on this system and have your heart set on Alexa rankings search Google for 'Alexa Toolbar Traffic Exchange'. I'm sure you could boost the hell out of your rankings in just a few days and move onto spending your time doing better things.

This post isn't meant to be a rant. Sorry if it came off that way. I'm just trying to understand why you are focused on Alexa.

BTW, one of my best performing merchants is an in-house program.
    Traffic is the goal to increase impressions, thereby increase sales. Alexa is the best measure of traffic I have at the moment.

Alexa is just an imperfect measure of your websites traffic. Use a stats program for accurate traffic numbers.

What you want to do is increase (meaningful) traffic. Then your alexa number will go down (i.e. better) by reflecting that. Getting links, social marketing, offline promotion, making your site better can all help with that.

Like said above, there's ways to manipulate your alexa rank. All that does for you is make your site look more popular than it really is. That's not totally worthless, but it doesn't make much difference in the long run... as far as getting new customers or affiliates.

I wouldn't look at Alexa Rank if I were you. Look to the major search engines for your rank.

Link building certainly affects pagerank. Building backlinks from sites within your niche using relevant anchor text helps increase your relevance to your target keywords. Traffic coming from your backlinks going to your site boosts pagerank.

Have a good day!
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by affilorama View Post
    I wouldn't look at Alexa Rank if I were you. Look to the major search engines for your rank.

Link building certainly affects pagerank. Building backlinks from sites within your niche using relevant anchor text helps increase your relevance to your target keywords. Traffic coming from your backlinks going to your site boosts pagerank.

Have a good day!
    Thank you this was probably the most useful post I have read. I will be checking google page rank today. I have stopped using alexa so much.

Relevant anchor text- does this apply to forum sigs?

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread