ABW Ambassador
    Merchant Views On Domains Forwarded To Them Via Affiliate Link
    Just wondering views from merchants here, as well as affiliates.

You own a domain that gets a lot of type in traffic. Instead of making a site, just forward it to merchant via affiliate link. Of course ask first if the merchant is ok with it. I figure if a merchant is ok with direct to merchant PPC, they most likely are ok with this as well. Can't really think why any merchant wouldn't be ok with it?

Parking companies are doing more of this, seems to be a trend. Sedo added Zero Click - Sedo adds zero click, accepts offers on “buy now” domains - Domain Name Wire

Been up since 5:30 and this is too much for my lil brain to absorb this time of night will have to come back again.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    You own a domain that gets a lot of type in traffic. Instead of making a site, just forward it to merchant via affiliate link.
    Have few domains that we do this with.

One in particular does quite well. The merchant does not seem to mind even though they have in their terms no derivatives of their TM name. However, we owned the domain (since 2004) before any TM existed (TM abandoned in 2007) and long before they ever had an indy affiliate program.

It works for both parties...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

ABW Ambassador
    One of the ones I was thinking of doing this with is a domain I picked up a few weeks ago. It's a generic (some sport + balls .com), getting some type in traffic. As an example, this isn't my domain but let's say you owned tennisballs.com. Nice generic .com that will get sometype in traffic. There are a lot of sporting goods merchants and other merchants that sell tennis balls on their site. The traffic I'm getting can be all theirs, I would forward it to the part of their site selling tennis balls via my affiliate link.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    One of the ones I was thinking of doing this with is a domain I picked up a few weeks ago. It's a generic (some sport + balls .com), getting some type in traffic. As an example, this isn't my domain but let's say you owned tennisballs.com. Nice generic .com that will get sometype in traffic. There are a lot of sporting goods merchants and other merchants that sell tennis balls on their site. The traffic I'm getting can be all theirs, I would forward it to the part of their site selling tennis balls via my affiliate link.
    An alternative, if the merchant(s) you have in mind don't appreciate what you want ot do for them, might be to monetize wirth a company like Sedo or NameDrive (or various others). I have been doing that for many years. Some of the reuslts have been outstanding (especailly with NameDrive and Sedo).
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

6. Thanks From:

@Bill - Thank you for comments about NameDrive parking
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    An alternative, if the merchant(s) you have in mind don't appreciate what you want ot do for them, might be to monetize wirth a company like Sedo or NameDrive (or various others). I have been doing that for many years. Some of the reuslts have been outstanding (especailly with NameDrive and Sedo).
    @Bill - Thank you, for the above comments about NameDrive! I discovered NameDrive 2 days ago and was wondering about the results. I have one Spanish language domain that is not doing well as an Affiliate site, so after reading your comments, I will probably Park that one on NameDrive and see how it does there.

Also, we have a Spanish language domain name, an inactive WP Blog, ready for my wife to use, that I may park there too.

Your comments about your experiences with NameDrive and Sedo Parking are much appreciated! Lanny

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    That's what I'm doing now, recently went over 500 domains, will probably have well over 1000 by end of the year and should grow from there. I get a domain, park it at Sedo, put it up at Afternic, GoDaddy Auctions. The ones that I see are getting some type in traffic, might develop into a site, or try the method I'm talking about, just forwarding it. Of course, they're always up for sale.

Just found it interesting, this:

"Sedo parking now has zero click (transfer visitors directly to an advertiser without a clicks). Customers are automatically opted in."

That parking companies are starting to implement that, just forward it straight to advertiser. There's some minor disagreement with that on the domain forums, since customers are automatically opted in. If that happens, then people can't see the parked, for sale page, they go straight to advertiser. So if you're somebody who parks their domains and like that, might as well just go ahead and cut Sedo out of the picture and get full imbursement for the traffic.

Will experiment a little bit.

I've got a couple (really, only just a couple) of domains that get a fair amount of type-in traffic. This idea sounds very interesting to me. I would be very interested in any follow-ups or updates you get on this idea, Trust. Hope you'll keep us posted.

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread