Understanding Sub-Domains
    I have a questions about creating a website network for affiliate marketing purposes and how to achieve the best SEO rankings for each site.

An example would be MLB(dot)com. MLB(dot)com is the hub site, with what appears to be official site sub-domains for each Major League Baseball team.

If I were to create a website for every baseball team, would it be best to create each site individually and link them together? or should each site be a sub-domain of a hub site?

What is the purpose of sub-domains?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Anything to the left of your-domain.ext is considered a separate domain. IE: team1.yourdomain.ext - No different than if you had separate domains for each baseball team.

http://www.your-domain.ext and http://your-domain.ext are considered SEPARATE domains. Is why it's important to redirect all your traffic to either www or non-www.

Everything to the right of your-domain.ext is considered a directory. your-domain.ext/team1/

Using sub-domains can work for increasing SEO rankings for the main domain - IF DONE PROPERLY. Internal links carry weight.

Some other things to consider when using sub-domains, don't have the sub-domains go to www, ie: http://www.team1.yourdomain.ext - have them go to http://team1.yourdomain.ext and your main domain go to either www or non-www.

BTW, the Google finally admitted they love well structured sub-domain websites. Course this was against their original statement some time back. Last year, before we discovered the Google loves sub-domains, we actaully scrapped dozens and dozens of sub-domain websites in favor of rebranding on their own domains. Live and learn...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

3. Thanks From:

thanks Convergence - any tips on doing sub-domains properly?

do you think sub-domains have any effect on the main domain or on each other?

Quote Originally Posted by superCool View Post
    any tips on doing sub-domains properly?
    The main domain should be as generic as possible and make sense when you place the keyword as a sub-domain before it.

IE: keword.maindomain.ext

First time we did this was back in 2002 then again in 2004 (two different domains). Neither main domain was live. In other words, we ONLY had hundreds of sub-domain sites.

All you have to do is set your nameservers to your main domain, then in your hosting panel create individual accounts for each sub-domain. This works best if you have your own hosting reseller account or dedicated server.

Quote Originally Posted by superCool View Post
    do you think sub-domains have any effect on the main domain or on each other?
    As each sub-domain is technically a stand-alone domain name, the only effect they would have on one another is if the content were relevant when inter-linked.

We had planned on creating a hub/directory on the main domain to tie everything together but went in a different direction with branding.

We're even considering putting up the generic domain used in 2004 through last year for sale. A mere $10K

Call me personally if interested: Toll Free 855.HTTP.WWW ext 777...

Keep in mind that team1.example.ext and team2.example.ext are considered two totally different sites by Google.

vs

example.ext/team1 and example.ext/team2 are not only considered the same site, but help build overall relevancy/authority of your site's topic on the same domain.

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    BTW, the Google finally admitted they love well structured sub-domain websites.
    And next week they'll hate them because spammers found a way to exploit the love.

What about web design? I use Wordpress & Hostgator. Can you have individual designs for all the teams under subdomains & subfolders?

Quote Originally Posted by calebtheredwood View Post
    Keep in mind that team1.example.ext and team2.example.ext are considered two totally different sites by Google.

vs

example.ext/team1 and example.ext/team2 are not only considered the same site, but help build overall relevancy/authority of your site's topic on the same domain.
    Yes, but example.ext/keyword1/ and example.ext/keyword2/ may not be relevant to one another.

Quote Originally Posted by calebtheredwood View Post
    And next week they'll hate them because spammers found a way to exploit the love.
    Spammers already have - called doorway pages.

Quote Originally Posted by andymisiu View Post
    What about web design? I use Wordpress & Hostgator. Can you have individual designs for all the teams under subdomains & subfolders?
    Yes and yes:
    Sub-domains are separate domains.
    "subfolders": Installing Multiple Blogs WordPress Codex

Just an update. I have decided to go the route of sub-directories. I can have different style "mini-sites" all under the same route domain, which is going to be a benefit to long-term SEO. I couldn't imagine trying to maintain seperate SEO strategies for each site individually while not sending any juice to the route domain.

Sub-Directories is the way to go for me.

I have learned that the only real change made to SEO practices on Sub-Domains is that links between the sites will now be counted as internal links.

Anyway, thanks for all of your help!!!

11. Thanks From:

Ok, I have a question when it comes to sub-directories.

I'm using wordpress.

Do I need to use some sort of domain mapping? or is that only for directing an external domain? as sub-domains.

Usually you would create a sub-domain and point it to a sub directory (public_html/subdirectory). You would then upload the files to the sub-directory. Once the files are uploaded, you need to access the sub-domain and install Wordpress from there.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread