More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Yesterday I discovered some teenie bopper girl was linking to my avatar image on her forum. I renamed my image and replaced the original with a message "I Love Math" - something cool to impress her friends. I would bet she didn't realize it wasn't correct to link to the image, but I had a little fun anyway. I guess I played a fast one on myself also as I didn't realized til late yesterday that the same avatar was showing up here! I do like math, but I don't love it! Good thing I didn't put the message "I like fat boys" as I thought of doing!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    This happened to me recently too. A guy on a UK rugby player's forum linked to a bull pic on my server. I replaced it with a pic of a little girl in a pretty pink dress with a big bow in her hair. He got razzed pretty good for a few days.

We have dozens (and dozens, and dozens) of people pulling images from phillyBurbs to any number of sites. At first it was just a nuisance, but it looks like we're going to have to do some sort of blocking to prevent it.

If you're using Apache servers on Unix or Linux you can configure .htaccess to serve alternative images to cybersquatters.

ABW Ambassador
    This thread reminds me of something I posted a while ago: http://abw.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=tp...11&m=534109364

Is there a way to add a "mydomain.com" to the lower left-hand corner of hotlinked images? The site I'm working on right now has much potential for hot-linking, I might as well get a little extra something for the effort.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

Happens to me a lot. I have thousands of pictures on my site (football cards). Most of them are used for eBay auctions if you can believe that. When I find one, I just add my url to the pic and get some free advertising..

I have a picture of manure I use in situations like that with the words "Thou shalt not steal includes bandwidth".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Radegast:
    If you're using Apache servers on Unix or Linux you can configure .htaccess to serve alternative images to cybersquatters. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

cool, can you post the .htacess lines? Wouldn't mind trying this out. Thanks!

This is what I use.

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteOptions inherit
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://.*DOMAINNAME/.*$ [NC]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$ [NC]
    RewriteRule .*[Jj][Pp][Gg]$|.*[Gg][Ii][Ff]$|.*[Pp][Nn][Gg]$ http://www.DOMAINNAME/ [R,L] [F]
    Recycled Talent - Architects of custom scripts and snippets, perfectly written to suit any need. We stay on top of the latest technology so you don't have to.
    Total Stupidity - Shining light on stupid things.

cool cditty. i am a dummy here. Can you tell me what domains should be in those 2 lines? Mine?

Your domain url replaces the DOMAINNAME. Be sure to put a .com/.net./.us/......... behind it too.

ie...RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://.*abestweb.com/.*$ [NC]
    Recycled Talent - Architects of custom scripts and snippets, perfectly written to suit any need. We stay on top of the latest technology so you don't have to.
    Total Stupidity - Shining light on stupid things.

Great thanks! I will test this out when I get in to the office tomorrow. Much appreciated!

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread