It has come to my attention that one of my merchants is paying a higher commission rate through another program - its a much smaller operation. The impact is $2 a pop.

Do I just leave CJ and move the links, do I contact the merchant and negotiate, or do I lobby CJ to try to cut us a better deal, or do I let sleeping dogs lay??

Abigail

ABW Ambassador
    The easyest way is to change the links.

carneol

If I had a lot of links, I would join the "smaller operation", then try to negotiate a better deal through CJ. If they refuse, you're already "IN" with the smaller operation and can just change the links.

If I just had a couple of links with this merchant I would just switch from CJ to the other operation.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing
    Every day is a chance to learn something new and an opportunity to teach others.

Some merchants use various affiliate networks.
    Others offer an In-House program and also offer affiliation through a network.

Networks get paid if an affiliate generates revenue for the merchant. CJ for example 30% of the affiliates commission.
    Example: Order Amount $100, Affiliate Commission 10% per Sale = $10, CJ Commission = $3. Cost for the Merchant $13.

A Lot of merchants calculate just the $13 and pass it to the Affiliates and Networks.
    The cheaper the Network, the higher the commission for the affiliate.
    You get even 100% of it , or $13, if they have an In-House program.

I do not know your volume.
    If you generate only a few sales, stay with CJ because of the consolidated payments.
    If you generate more sales, switch the links to get the higher commission.

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner
    http://www.shop-links.net
    Sign-up for our Affiliate Program
    http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale...erchantID=2123

If you can't move things, try harder!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I would base the decision mainly on whether you trust the merchant to pay from their other program in a timely manner. I know of at least one merchant who was reported to be fine through CJ, but was accused of pulling all sorts of iffy-sounding stuff through their own program.

If you have enough volume and are good at negotiating, then that's probably the best bet.

I *would* hedge my bets by not officially dropping the CJ program, even if you go with their other one! That way, if you find that the CJ program performed better, it'll be easy to just change the links back...

-Early in life, I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose honest arrogance and have seen no occasion to change. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

ABW Ambassador
    What Carsten said couldn't be worded better and is exactly right all the way to the full stop.

Success is the result of good judgement which is the result of experience which is often the result of bad judgment. - [i]A. Robbins

Leader - I agree with your suggestions completely, that's exactly how I would approach it.

Thankyou all for the feedback. I got my thinking cap on. I have just started to generate the traffic for this merchant a month ago and it seems to be growing nicely - I've got some deciding to do. If it breaks a $100 difference this month I will test the waters.

Thanks all.

Abigail

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread