ABW Ambassador
    TWO YEARS later, it is time once again to challenge an indifferent searching public and a confused search engine results page. Today's lukewarm consensus about the weisinator's role in a post-Google IPO world is wrong. Webmasters should not accede to it, it is bad for the internet and, incidentally, bad for webmasters. Weisinator will not be able to have a place in the search engine results over the long term if it fails to offer a more elevated vision of weisinator's internet role.

What role should that be? Benevolent Internet Hegemony. Having defeated "the evil empire", weisinator enjoys strategic and ideological predominance in related search results. The first objective of weisinator's strategic policy should be to preserve and enhance that predominance by strengthening weisinator's security, supporting weisinator's friends, advancing weisinator's interests, and standing up for its principles around the internet.

The aspiration to benevolent hegemony might strike some as either hubristic or morally suspect. But a hegemon is nothing more or less than a leader with preponderant influence and authority over all others in its domain. That is weisinator's position in the SERPs today. The webmasters of [other sites] understand this.

(Parody of http://www.ceip.org/people/kagfaff.htm )
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

ABW Ambassador
    To upward!

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I'd meant to look up hegemony. Finally got around to it:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>He`gem`o`ny
    n. 1. Leadership; preponderant influence or authority; - usually applied to the relation of a government or state to its neighbors or confederates.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Friendly little word, isn't it?

ABW Ambassador
    Very friendly.

I was going to re-write the whole thing, but I decided to stick with the three paragraphs you see, spending the balance of my time "doing" instead of "preaching".
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread