DMCA on my music site for Lady Antebellum
    One of my sites have a section about musicians and band and where to go and get their CD, memorabilia, tickets and other such stuff. I just learned by checking my Google Webmaster account that I had a DMCA placed by the RIAA back in January for my page of merchants to purchased Lady Antebellum merchandise. Apparently Google band my entire site from searches. Explains why my traffic on that site just bottomed over the last 2 months.

Has anyone have this happen to them and how do you overcome it. I plan on writing a letter to the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) explaining my site and asking them how do I avoid any future DMCAs.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

DMCA should go in the acronym list for us forgetful ones. Know I've heard of it but can't remember.

Digital Media(?) Copyright Act.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    Digital Millennium Copyright Act - Digital Millennium Copyright Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by boningroup View Post
    One of my sites have a section about musicians and band and where to go and get their CD, memorabilia, tickets and other such stuff. I just learned by checking my Google Webmaster account that I had a DMCA placed by the RIAA back in January for my page of merchants to purchased Lady Antebellum merchandise. Apparently Google band my entire site from searches. Explains why my traffic on that site just bottomed over the last 2 months.

Has anyone have this happen to them and how do you overcome it. I plan on writing a letter to the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) explaining my site and asking them how do I avoid any future DMCAs.
    Was there anywhere on your site/forum where people or you put up links to download music (not the legal stuff)? That's the only time I've heard of them going after people. The other stuff you posted about it completely legit.

Was there anywhere on your site/forum where people or you put up links to download music (not the legal stuff)? That's the only time I've heard of them going after people. The other stuff you posted about it completely legit.[/QUOTE]

I use Popshops.com so what I do for each musician or band is have a short biography of the musician or band and then set up a page with merchandise from whom I am working with using the Popshops feed. To me it was obvious that no one from the RIAA visited my site as that is all they would have found. No downloads of music. Nothing more then what you would find for Lady Antebellum on Best Buy, Walmart, SecondSpin or any other site selling CDs and merchandise. No links to any music sharing site or blog. I have over 300 bands and musicians on the site set up the same way and all they had a problem with was Lady Antebellum which I have deleted their page.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Lady blabla stole the music for their "Need You Now" from "Eye In the Sky" by Alan Parson's Project. heehee

Actually I see it quite often in Google when I search for song names or albums - a message in the bottom saying something about some pages were removed from results for some violation.

Ok, here's a thought: maybe there was the word "download" on the page, or another keyword related to piracy. If you have all the logs from that period, you might check on which keywords (key-phrases) were googled to find that page. It might be something like "lady antimatter mp5 full album download communism", and then a piece of stupid software sent an official complaint to Google.

A DMCA is usually filed against you by another party if they see their content on your website without proper credit to them. You mentioned artist bios. Did you create the artist bios or are they part of the feeds/copied from another site?

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

Quote Originally Posted by affilorama View Post
    You mentioned artist bios. Did you create the artist bios or are they part of the feeds/copied from another site?

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
    Wikipedia and I have the line of copy needed posted giving the credit to Wikipedia. "All biography information is obtained from the Wikipedia Music Portal through the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License."
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

9. Thanks From:

I received a response via email to my letter that I sent to the RAII. What a waste. All it did was refer me to a link on Google about contesting the removal of the page. My letter told them that I removed the page and wanted guidance and clarification in avoiding future problems. I guess that it will be easier just to delete the music section of the site all together. It wasn't making any type of money to begin with and I guess that would eliminate any future hassle.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

Hi Danny,

The only other reason I can think of are the images on you Music page. Maybe some of those are copyrighted by the RIAA or something.

It's sad they don't provide you with any other info when it is them that filed the DMCA. Maybe you can check with Google?
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

They call it "Allegedly infringing URLs"
    Music DMCA (Copyright) Complaint to Google -- Chilling Effects Clearinghouse
    DMCA (Copyright) Complaint to Google -- Chilling Effects Clearinghouse

It seems like most of the sites on the lists had something to do with downloading mp3s. So if your site is on the list, there must be something that triggered their filter. Even "AOL Sessions" is on the list, and they probably didn't break any rules.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread