Where to find a consumer retail product database?
    Found this site after some Google searching, not sure if this is the correct venue, but some of these questions appear to be related to my problem, so here goes...

I'm in the process of building a website that allows consumers to trade new and used goods for products in the major retail categories; home goods, electronics, sporting goods, appliances, toys, etc. When a user has something to trade, they simply enter a model number or product name, then our application searches and displays the following information to verify the product the user is willing to trade...

Model Number
    Product Name & Manufacturer
    Description & Major Features
    Stock photo
    MSRP

That's pretty much it. The problem is we don't know where to search to get this product info, so we're looking for data providers that aggregate this information across all retail categories and offer it as a feed or as an on-demand, searchable service accessible over the web.

In principal, PriceGrabber.com and Google Product Search is very close to what I need, but I don't believe either of those sites offer their data to other businesses, either through an API or data feed.

Thanks for listening, any help/pointers are greatly appreciated.

Raf

Lightbulb
    so, for instance, you would be asking Sears to provide a datafeed. would you also wish to sell for Sears, or just use the information?

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ View Post
    so, for instance, you would be asking Sears to provide a datafeed. would you also wish to sell for Sears, or just use the information?
    Generally, we need to stick with retail products that may be sold by any retailer, not just big-box retailers that produce and sell some of their own merchandise.

In terms of how we're using the data, it's only for informational purposes. We don't plan on selling for the manufacturer or the retailer offering the product.

productwiki.com looks like it may satisfy our needs, I have not yet used it.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    You may want to consider a UPC database, sure one exists somewhere.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    You may want to consider a UPC database, sure one exists somewhere.
    On our site, most customers will search using a model number or product name, not UPC. Do you know if UPC databases provide search capabilities for those characteristics as well?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Since Amazon is the biggest retailer you can try using their api. Or look at Doba which is a drop shipper. Not sure how long you can get away with an api if you are not generating traffic/sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Since Amazon is the biggest retailer you can try using their api. Or look at Doba which is a drop shipper. Not sure how long you can get away with an api if you are not generating traffic/sales.
    That's probably not the right service to use since we're not selling anything. Also, we're not trying to 'get away' with anything, we are more than happy to pay for such a service.

Who knows, maybe Amazon offers access to their product database for a fee?

Quote Originally Posted by RaffiNYC View Post
    On our site, most customers will search using a model number or product name, not UPC. Do you know if UPC databases provide search capabilities for those characteristics as well?
    UPC codes are unique and most likely have the characteristics, ie: model #, product name, etc associated with them.

upc database - Bing

You can build your website to be able to search for any variable providing you have that information in your database. Databases by themselves offer no search capabilities...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    UPC codes are unique and most likely have the characteristics, ie: model #, product name, etc associated with them.

upc database - Bing

You can build your website to be able to search for any variable providing you have that information in your database. Databases by themselves offer no search capabilities...
    In my database? So you're saying I'll need to retain some data on my end to support certain types of queries?

Quote Originally Posted by RaffiNYC View Post
    In my database? So you're saying I'll need to retain some data on my end to support certain types of queries?
    Yes.

SellFire.com
    Hi Raf,

You can use the SellFire Affiliate API to access 35 million products from over 1600 merchants. Let me know if you have any questions. The API exposes all of the information you mentioned in your first post and lets you search along many dimensions.

Thanks,
    Jason
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; April 16th, 2012 at 01:20 PM. Reason: removed link
    Jason MacInnes
    [URL="http://www.sellfire.com/?utm_source=ABestWeb&utm_medium=Signature&utm_campaign=ABW%2BSignature"]SellFire.com - Affiliate Data Feed and Coupon Store Builder[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by jmacinnes View Post
    Hi Raf,

You can use the SellFire Affiliate API to access 35 million products from over 1600 merchants. Let me know if you have any questions. The API exposes all of the information you mentioned in your first post and lets you search along many dimensions.

Thanks,
    Jason
    Thanks, Jason. I will check it out.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread