Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Art of Communication
    I received this email from one of my merchants this morning.

I Reviewed your account (xxxxxx) and unfortunately found that From your end there is no conversion ,please look into this matter.

OK, Thanks for truning on the lightbulb.

Did a real person actually write that..??

To be honest, that's not a merchant I would want to be associated with..

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    Did a real person actually write that..??

To be honest, that's not a merchant I would want to be associated with..
    Seriously is a real person. That's why I could;t resist posting that here. It's so unbelievable it's true!

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    wow, some solid analysis and well thought out messaging there... not.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

I forgot to add the last part of the email:

Save up to $25 on Last Minute xxxxx with $10 Instant Discount and an additional $15 off using Promo code xxxx. Book Now!

Place it on your site so that there will be high conversions.

If you have any suggestion or query feel free to contact me .
    Last edited by bibby; April 9th, 2012 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Removed hyperlink

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Sounds like English may not be their first language...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Just to clarify, I wasn't commenting on the grammar.. it was the fact they were asking you to explain the lack of conversion...

Just to clarify, I wasn't commenting on the grammar.. it was the fact they were asking you to explain the lack of conversion...
    Isn't that the crazy part? And how about sending me a deal offer and then telling me it will add conversions. So all affiliate marketing is, is adding text links and then my traffic will be converted to sales?

That was one of the craziest emails I've received. These emails get dumber by day!

Just to clarify, I wasn't commenting on the grammar...
    Just to clarify - I was

Hell, my first language wasn't English...

What a turn off. I'm pretty sure you've moved on to better merchants by now.

The emails you get these days. LOL.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

I will be moving on. They're a joke!

It is interesting to read this conversation as a merchant. We are impatient with the webmasters and we do tend to forget that we are not the only merchants who the webmasters are dealing with. At the same time - it's business and we try to get the most out of it - even if it doesn't work this way - we are still looking for the 'communication.' So all I am saying is that I understand where the merchant is coming from - but this is the worst way to approach.
    [URL="http://affiliates.oranum.com/ref.php?w=100803"]$100 CPA / 50% Commission / 20% Referrals[/url]
    [B][URL="http://affiliates.oranum.com/ref.php?w=100803"]We double your first, $100 you make with us [/URL][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Kate_Oranum View Post
    It is interesting to read this conversation as a merchant. We are impatient with the webmasters and we do tend to forget that we are not the only merchants who the webmasters are dealing with.
    ...and if you're not converting, YOU ARE EXPENDABLE! Merchants should understand that while it doesn't cost them anything to keep non-converting affiliates on the books, it does cost affiliates to maintain non-converting merchants on their sites. A message like the one that Bibby received is a reminder to replace that merchant with one that can make money for the affiliate.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

14. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager Yulia from DNP's Avatar
    I think its a very tired affiliate manager .
    I always try to look at things from the other side (the affiliates side) .
    And if i were to receive a letter like that , i would only get bumped, sad and not energetic or enthusiastic to continue working with the merchant.
    I think its possible to sell anything online .
    Some tips would fit this case better then just - " check whats wrong with you ".
    [B]Yulia Borova
    Affiliate Manager - [B][url=http://DirectNetPartners.com][COLOR="Purple"]Tobacco Affiliate Program - GET 50$ Sign up bonus[/url][/COLOR][/B]
    Email: [email]Yulia@DirectNetPartners.com[/email] | Skype: DNPYulia | [url=http://www.facebook.com/pages/DirectNet-Partners/211572005534452]Our Facebook Page[/url][/B]

Hello Bibby,
    Thanks for being an affiliate in our program. It's people like you that help make our business a success. We've noticed that there have been very few sales from you lately. Is there anything we can do to help you succeed by increase your conversion rate or provide custom creatives? Would you be willing to have a brief chat on the phone to discuss the success of your future with our program and how we may help you? I'm available anytime during regular business hours at xxx-xxx-xxxx.
    I look forward to your call.
    John Doe
    Affiliate Manager
    ...is what he should have said.

Quote Originally Posted by calebtheredwood View Post
    I couldn't agree more with you!!
    [URL="http://affiliates.oranum.com/ref.php?w=100803"]$100 CPA / 50% Commission / 20% Referrals[/url]
    [B][URL="http://affiliates.oranum.com/ref.php?w=100803"]We double your first, $100 you make with us [/URL][/B]

"Hello Bibby,
    Thanks for being an affiliate in our program. It's people like you that help make our business a success. We've noticed that there have been very few sales from you lately. Is there anything we can do to help you succeed by increase your conversion rate or provide custom creatives? Would you be willing...."

I think that this is too much sucking up.
    I do believe that affiliate an affiliate manager is a partnership and both sides want to see profits .
    But affiliate programs expect to see results, at least small amount of traffic from their affiliates.Me for example, i am willing to help anyone who is having trouble to bring 1 click in a month .But ,we cannot know whats the case of why an affiliate is unable to work, maybe he is no longer interested or investing time and money into something else right now , as affiliates tend to work with couple of merchants.So trying to beg ( yes it sounds like begging in the email) for attention , to try, to help, if possible, this affiliate , is not a good idea. I have dealt with so many affiliate to whom i sent such email and got an obnoxious response of - " oh you think im god im going to act like one ". That now i understand that i should set up a different tone.
    I am stilling offering help , giving helpful materials, and willing to listen to any problem , wait for results even if it takes a lot of time because i understand that this is not a machine, its a human being who have a life and a world of his own maybe another work, anything, but again, this is partnership, this is work, and we on our side cant beg for work.
    [B]Yulia Borova
    Affiliate Manager - [B][url=http://DirectNetPartners.com][COLOR="Purple"]Tobacco Affiliate Program - GET 50$ Sign up bonus[/url][/COLOR][/B]
    Email: [email]Yulia@DirectNetPartners.com[/email] | Skype: DNPYulia | [url=http://www.facebook.com/pages/DirectNet-Partners/211572005534452]Our Facebook Page[/url][/B]

I think that this is too much sucking up.
    You took this the wrong way - no one expects an affiliate manager to suck up, or pander, to publishers.

However, the least we expect is respect for our profession - as I've said recently in another thread, we can work 100 hours and make $0. We deal with issues that are sometimes beyond our control - google algorithm, SEO, tax issues, and rules that change without warning.

To blame a publisher for lack of conversion, and demand an explanation, shows a lack of understanding and respect for what we do every day.

Merchants are partners, NOT employers - we don't report to them.

Received this one yesterday. Thought of this thread...

Hi Dear Sir or Madam,

I wanted to follow up with you regarding the <deleted by me> incentive program and your progress! You are pacing below your incentive goal. Your revenue so far this month is <deleted by me> and you are pacing to do <deleted by me>
    Below MY "incentive goal"?

LOL -

Whatever...

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Looks to me that there has been a paradigm shift and affiliate managers are now sales managers!

You took this the wrong way - no one expects an affiliate manager to suck up, or pander, to publishers.

However, the least we expect is respect for our profession - as I've said recently in another thread, we can work 100 hours and make $0. We deal with issues that are sometimes beyond our control - google algorithm, SEO, tax issues, and rules that change without warning.

To blame a publisher for lack of conversion, and demand an explanation, shows a lack of understanding and respect for what we do every day.

Merchants are partners, NOT employers - we don't report to them.

I didnt took this the wrong way, as i said before, i understand what you do, and how much time and effort and money goes in to the process.
    but sometimes,( and sometimes affiliate manages cannot know ) if the affiliate is serious , interested , wants , to work with us or not.Lack of activity is not 100% means that affiliate is in the middle of a process of making money you know :- )
    [B]Yulia Borova

Quote Originally Posted by Yulia from DNP View Post
    if the affiliate is serious , interested , wants , to work with us or not.
    Communication, communication, communication! Call me up and ask how I'm promoting your program. Send me an offer and see if I react to it.

I think a lot of Affiliate Mangers react mechanically because they don't understand what they'er dealing with. That's why we get emails like the one that started this thread. There are several of them that I work with who have the title of "Marketing Director". Most of them don't really know crap about Affiliate Marketing and the program gets lumped into their job duties.

24. Thanks From:

There are so many different personality types among affiliate marketers that it would be impossible to please all of us. Some just want respect, some want just the facts ma'am, and some want to be handheld and bottle-fed. It must be frustrating at times to strike a delicate balance.

That said, a friendly, professional attitude towards us and talking to us like we are professionals and not as expendable employees goes a long ways.
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

26. Thanks From:

That's an obvious signal it's a scam. I wouldn't pay any attention to that & will regard this is lack of communication.

Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by calebtheredwood View Post
    Can't agree more. And I don't think it is write in a 'beg' position. As you said, it is partnership right, so the two parties all have responsibilities to find out the problem. If they don't want the partnership to be ended.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast