Affiliate Manager
    Link with "Do Follow"
    Hi,

We have more than 1500 affiliates. All have placed our banners with standard nofollow attribute.

We are planning to implement below technique, but before taking decision, I need your thoughts!

We are planning to communicate with affiliates to place a text link/ banner on their homepage with do follow link and in return we will place their link in our Partners and affiliates tab. This way we get good back links from relevant sites that will help us in SERP ranking and so it with the affiliates.

Secondly, by displaying affiliates on our website, does it help our competitors to check and target?

I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks.

While I think you have good intentions, you would be creating a massive leak on your site that would upset many of your affiliates.

Think about it - I'm a publisher, I send you my traffic.. then one of MY readers clicks on that tab, and sees 1500 sites that compete with mine. So I could easily lose my reader to a competitor. Not to mention, you've just given 1,499 competitors access to each others site. Bad idea, sorry..

You're looking for the "follow" attribute for SEO & credibility, which I get, but as affiliates, we need to tell search engines we are being compensated for the link (hence the "nofollow"). We all risk a penalty otherwise.

Just my two cents worth - I would leave a program if I saw even 10 affiliate sites listed on a merchant site, never mind 1000+ (and before I would allow my site to be published with them).

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks teezone for the insights!

You are absolutely correct in listing affiliates on the website.

Regarding linking:

Why would search engines penalized a site if it has a link to some other site relevant to the same industry?

What if we offer a monthly amount to each affiliate for linking us with dofollow attribute?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Aff@ View Post
    .........This way we get good back links from relevant sites that will help us in SERP ranking and so it with the affiliates.
    Affiliates do not care about your SERP Ranking!!! Why would any affilite want you to rank higher then their site.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

5. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    kse!

At first, we had a plan to exchange link, but what if you offer them a monthly amount for placing our link on their site with dofollow.

Any paid link has to use the "Nofollow" Again why are you looking for Affiliates to help you with your SEO. We do not care about your rankings
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

8. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

We do not care about your rankings
    The merchant cares about their own rankings & SEO, which is understandable.

However, affiliates shouldn't be used in this manner, we have a paid relationship that clearly needs to be disclosed. If google suspects an undisclosed link exchange is taking place, every site involved could suffer. Obviously this is just my opinion - and going back to the idea of listing affiliates on your site, I would drop your program like a hot potato...

What if we offer a monthly amount to each affiliate for linking us with dofollow attribute?
    You can't pay for placement on a site without it being clearly marked (using the word "Advertising", or other methods).

The merchant cares about their own rankings & SEO, which is understandable.

However, affiliates shouldn't be used in this manner, we have a paid relationship that clearly needs to be disclosed. If google suspects an undisclosed link exchange is taking place, every site involved could suffer. Obviously this is just my opinion - and going back to the idea of listing affiliates on your site, I would drop your program like a hot potato...
    I agree. But a merchant's SEO efforts are their own business, not the affiliates'.

Affiliates help the merchant promote their products and increase their sales. Not to help them increase their page rank.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

12. Thanks From:

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread