Question Junk sites linking to your site with wrong URL (404 Errors in GWT)
    What can be done when junk sites link to your site and the URL they are using are not correct (some of the URL’s have been cut off) example: www. mysite .com/pagenumb (the “er1.php” has been cut off)

I am getting 404 not found response codes getting reported in Google Webmaster Tools. I am getting several of these per site. Is their anything I can do or should do??
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Haven't experienced the bad linking. Can you see the junk sites as referrers? If so, you can block them....
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I have a Statcounter project dedicated to my 404 page and check it every day. The I have some code on my 404 page that checks for the referring pages with bad links and 301 redirects to the correct page. Just takes a few minutes when a new one pops up.

4. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Haven't experienced the bad linking. Can you see the junk sites as referrers? If so, you can block them....
    Its not the traffic that is a problem (I think) its Google reporting to me that I have bad pages on my site.

Also: How can I block them?????
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Is this something that you have the option to 'Mark As Fixed' in WMT?

In the 'Crawl Errors' section of WMT, I correct the internal linking errors on my site and ignore('Mark As Fixed') the external that I don't care about.

No idea how to block it though, but I'd be very interested in learning how.

7. Thanks From:
    kse

Don't block them, redirect them. Here's an example....

Value of a Gold Dime? Is it a mistake? - Yahoo! Answers

They tried to link to my forum and blew it, but click the link. My 404 page checks the referrer and redirects to the appropriate page.

9. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by calebtheredwood View Post
    Is this something that you have the option to 'Mark As Fixed' in WMT?

In the 'Crawl Errors' section of WMT, I correct the internal linking errors on my site and ignore('Mark As Fixed') the external that I don't care about.

No idea how to block it though, but I'd be very interested in learning how.
    I can mark it as fixed but I can not fix it since only part of the page name is included in their link, If they were pointer to a mypage.php then I could setup a redirect but they have choped of the xx.php in the url.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby131313 View Post
    Don't block them, redirect them. Here's an example....

Value of a Gold Dime? Is it a mistake? - Yahoo! Answers

They tried to link to my forum and blew it, but click the link. My 404 page checks the referrer and redirects to the appropriate page.
    Ok, Thanks I will look into this option.

Ok, I figured out how to setup my own 404 page (redirect to my own page) on one of my host. So my question is do I have to put any special code in this page since it is a 404 page???

Yeah, you do but your likely using php which I'm not familiar with since I use asp.

Here's the asp code I use for the above example...

Code:
    <%
    StrFrom = Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_REFERER")

If instr(StrFrom,"qid=20071129080903AAvBjNm") > 0 Then
    Response.Status="301 Moved Permanently"
    Response.Redirect("http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/")
    End If
    %>
    Maybe someone can help you convert it.

14. Thanks From:
    kse

Yeah, you do but your likely using php which I'm not familiar with since I use asp.
    I use both ASP & PHP and the first site I want to address is ASP so this helps alot!!!

So your code if statment address the refering page so that great. But do I have to include anything else in the page to address referer that I do not include in the if statment ?(because its a 404 page) or is a 404 page the same as any other page???

Put...

<% Response.Status = "404 Not Found" %>

after your custom code in the head section and you should be good. You can put whatever you want in the body section. Here's mine...

http://www.coincommunity.com/404.asp

17. Thanks From:

Code:
    Response.Redirect("http://www.mysite.com/")
    Would it be ok, if I redirected all traffic that get direct to my 404 Page to my home page??

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    Code:
    Response.Redirect("http://www.mysite.com/")
    Would it be ok, if I redirected all traffic that get direct to my 404 Page to my home page??
    That is NOT a good idea. That WILL get you penalized.

If you can, put a copy of your static sitemap on your 404 page and/or search box...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

20. Thanks From:
    kse

If the links truly are that, junky, then just leave them be. They won't offer any benefit nor penalty, so you don't need to worry.

If on the other hand you have a good quality incoming link pointing to a non-existent URL, you can setup a 301 redirect in your .htaccess file to redirect the broken URL to a more appropriate one. This will pass on most of the link juice.

If the links truly are that, junky, then just leave them be. They won't offer any benefit nor penalty, so you don't need to worry.

If on the other hand you have a good quality incoming link pointing to a non-existent URL, you can setup a 301 redirect in your .htaccess file to redirect the broken URL to a more appropriate one. This will pass on most of the link juice.
    It ain't all about link juice, I'll take the traffic, it makes me money. I fix them all, "junky" or not.

It ain't all about link juice, I'll take the traffic, it makes me money. I fix them all, "junky" or not.
    True

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread