For all of us who are 50 or older -- even those of you younger than 50 will appreciate the following:

No nursing home for me, I am checking into the Holiday Inn!

With the average cost for a nursing home per day reaching $188.00, there is a better way when we get old & feeble.

I have already checked on reservations at the Holiday Inn. For a combined long-term stay discount and senior discount, it's $49.23 per night. That leaves $138.77 a day for: Breakfast, lunch and dinner in any restaurant I want, or room service, laundry, gratuities and special TV movies.

Plus, they provide a swimming pool, a workout room, a lounge, washer, dryer, etc. Most have free toothpaste and razors, and all have free shampoo and soap.

They treat you like a customer, not a patient. $5 worth of tips a day will have the entire staff scrambling to help you. There is a city bus stop out front, and seniors ride free.. To meet other nice people, call a church bus on Sundays. For a change of scenery, take the airport shuttle bus and eat at one of the nice restaurants there. While you're at the airport, fly somewhere. Otherwise, the cash keeps building up.

It takes months to get into decent nursing homes. Holiday Inn will take your reservation today. And you are not stuck in one place forever, you can move from Inn to Inn, or even from city to city. Hawaii? They have a Holiday Inn there too.

T.V. broken? Light bulbs need changing? Need a mattress replaced?

No problem! They fix everything and apologize for the inconvenience. The Inn has a night security person and daily room service.

The maid checks to see if you are ok. If not, they will call the undertaker or an ambulance. If you fall and break a hip, Medicare will pay for the hip, and Holiday Inn will upgrade you to a suite for the rest of your life.

And no worries about visits from family. They will always be glad to find you and probably check in for a few days mini-vacation. The grandkids can use the pool. What more can you ask for?

So, when I reach the golden age I'll face it with a grin. Just forward all my email to: me @ Holiday.Inn

OH SandraR you are a funny on. That is very good I will certainly keep that in mind for the future. Seems to me it is also a great way to see the country, have a week or two in each city then move on to the next one
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

ABW Ambassador
    Great idea! I am going to book the room next door to yours. However that may not work as I think I am older than you so I will get there first.
    Cazzie

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    I am leaving for two weeks this weekend aand I think we have a stay at a Holiday Inn for 6 days
    You realize you have ruined the vacation cuz every time I see a senior there I will be thinking if this joke, when I should be having fun with the kids.

I am just picturing you now WW beer in one hand fishing rod in the other asking all the seniors how they like their new reitrement home. ........

My next thought was WW with a beer in one hand a fishing rod sticking out of his butt .......
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.

YouTrek

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gordon:
    My next thought was WW with a beer in one hand a fishing rod sticking out of his butt ....... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OH Hell... Enjoy the Holiday in WW!

Cazzie keep an eye on the room next to you... I will email you when I am ready to join you!

Hilarious, although you have proven some valid points ;-)

What does it cost to live in a nursing home ?

Breezing

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    lol! I turned 50 in May and wouldn't you know before the month was out AARP had sent me an application form! Geeze, gimme a break here, it's hard enough turning 50 without being solicited to join an organization for retirees!

I don't care if it's a retirement home or a motel, I do NOT want to be institutionalized when I get old. That's why I married a younger man, doncha know.

15 years and counting
    Where do I sign in for their affiliate program? Sounds like a good deal.

That's crazy Rhea, I would be mad as well.

Maybe you should give them a call and ask if you can bring the mooses with you,
    I'm sure they won't bother you for a long while ;-)

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Breezing, funny you should mention moose. I had a dream night before last that I adopted an orphaned baby moose. Stupidly I thought I could keep it in the house. No-no-no-no-no. Moose do NOT belong in the house!

lol, knowing the size of a full grown moose
    I don't think you would ever want them to have the habbit of running around in your house ;-)

Breezing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> lol, knowing the size of a full grown moose
    I don't think you would ever want them to have the habbit of running around in your house <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I think it's running about the house would be one of the last things on my mind, I would be more worried about it cr*pping around the house

YouTrek

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    The Holiday Inn is more like an "assisted living" apartment than a full nursing home.

The other thing about motels is that the maid service degrades the longer you stay. At first, the floors are all vacuumed and the towels changed. By the time I've stayed a week somewhere, the floor is ignored, they forget the ice bucket liners, and if the used towels aren't in the way of something they get missed.

I'm not sure I'd want to stay in a motel for a year because by then they probably wouldn't even come in the room!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I turned 50 in May and wouldn't you know before the month was out AARP had sent me an application form! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You think THAT'S something? Get this: When I was about 25, I was unemployed with no intentions of changing that status. So I put "Retired" on some survey or another. Less than a month later I was on AARP's mailing list!

Since then I've taken survey promises to "keep my information confidential" with a trainload of salt...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    Rhea,

Join AARP and you'll be shocked at the savings. I put it off for years and years until I finally did it and wished I had done it years ago. The hotel and car rental discounts you get can't be beat by anyone including Priceline, etc. Hotel rooms are generally $10-30 less per night than the lowest rate you'll find anywhere. Car rental rates are either cheaper or, if they're the same, you get an upgrade.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread