Hi Everybody,

I just want to share with you some of the characteristics of Italians living in my neighbourhood. My parents are Italian and came to Montreal, Canada in the early fifties. St.Leonard my neighbourhood is a small section of town where the community is mainly Italian and you know you're Italian from St.Leonard when...

•Your house was built with 2 full size kitchens but never ever was it necessary to use them both at once

•You still have nightmares about the French national soccer team from the last Eurocup

•You friends come over for dinner and they leave 10 lbs heavier

•You're willing to let your kids miss school because Italy's national soccer team is playing

•Your sister is twenty one and still hasn't been allowed to talk to a guy yet

•Your father's garden takes up 90% of the back yard

•The clanking of mason jars and tomatoes all over your garage floor means you're stuck making 500 pounds of tomato sauce on the hottest day of the summer.

•Your Grandparents are obsessed with telling you not to drink anything cold because it's "Bad for you"?

•You can rebuild a motor and frame a house, but couldn't help your wife with the laundry because you cannot operate a washing machine if your life depended on it

•Your father owns 5 houses, has $350,000 in the bank, but still drives a big '76 Monte Carlo with a picture of Sant’ Antonio hanging from the mirror

•In your circle of friends, at least one guy has followed tradition and works in construction, while another guy is 250+ lbs working as a bouncer at some niteclub

•You have at least one relative named either Dino, Gino, Lino, Pino, or Rino; and another relative named Dina, Gina, Lina, Pina, Rina or Tina

•You still go to the same Barber shop your grandfather brought you to when you were 4 years old

•Through years of getting yelled at by your mother, you know more saint names than the Pope

•Your mechanic, plumber, electrician, accountant and travel agent are all blood relatives

•You consider an espresso a nutritious breakfast

•At least 5 of your cousins live on your street

•All 5 of those cousins are named after your grandfather

•You are on a first name basis with at least 8 banquet hall owners

•There were more than 28 people in your bridal party

•You netted more than $50,000 on your first communion

•You netted more than $200,000 in the envelopes at your wedding

•You have a fig tree in your backyard

•You've been in a fight defending Sly Stallone's greatness

•Your dad stole all your hockey sticks in the garage and planted them in the garden to grow his tomatoes

courtesy of

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    New York, USA

I'm Italian by marriage, and I grew up in CT where over 60% of the population is Italian. I swear I absorbed the culture by osmosis.

Couple of things to add to your list:

* When you have the family over for dinner all the women pile into the kitchen to "help." (La vostra cucina è la mia cucina.)

* Everyone shudders slightly at the sight of a wooden spoon. (Disciplinary weapon of choice of all Italian mothers.)

* All conversations eventually lead to discussions of food. Lunch is discussed at breakfast, dinner is discussed at lunch, and food shopping and preparation is discussed at any time.

* Every generation includes one blonde, blue-eyed kid who gets stared at a lot. (But not as often as his mother gets stared at.)

3. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread