Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Google Penalty for Over-Optimizing
    Just thought I would share this interesting piece of information regarding Google Algorithm changes.

Oops! can't embed a video cause I don't know how.

Go and google "Changes Every SEO Should Make BEFORE the Over-Optimization Penalty Hits"

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Just paste the link
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; May 27th, 2012 at 02:27 PM.

4. Thanks From:

That's a good thing. And SEOmoz is stating the obvious. Good, naturally written content will eventually be the winner. Companies like that target folks who cannot build sites with true value for readers; and by helping move poor value sites to the top of the SERPs are actually doing a disservice to readers.

So...how are your efforts coming along? I hope you've been building something of value for your potential readers and not trying to build something to please the search engines.

BTW - the next Baltimore Affiliate Meetup is on Tuesday. Same time and place - if you want to meet some folks that do this for a living.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Yea, Google is always striving to make the searches return true content, which is great.

Something of value? yeah... I think my first site will have value to it. I don't think it's going to be the site that beats all sites, and I don't think the idea is going to reach 100% of it's potential. I'm putting a lot of effort and time into it, but... I don't want to spend a year creating it. I'm using this site as good learning experience on a number of levels. It's not the first site I've been a part of creating, but it is the first I've done on my very own.

Tuesdays? unfortunately I have to work late on every Tuesday. I actually work all the time.
    Last edited by andymisiu; April 20th, 2012 at 05:59 PM.

He's right about one thing: there's been "a lot of chatter lately". And more chatter now about how to do things the way most SEO's have been doing things since about 2004 lol.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

To me this doesn't cover anything new or controversial. Google has penalized sites for keyword stuffing and committing over-optimization since its inception.

The truth of the matter is that blackhat SEOs will find the perfect medium to exploit in order to achieve maximum ranking without triggering an algorithmic penalization. If this just so happens (as it is) to force all webmasters to create better quality content designed for end-users, then that is of course a good thing.

Manual reviews are another effective means of weeding out bad quality sites, however we all know that the manpower simply isn't there to take down every poor site that reaches the first page under a lucrative keyword term.

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    He's right about one thing: there's been "a lot of chatter lately". And more chatter now about how to do things the way most SEO's have been doing things since about 2004 lol.
    I agree. Nothing new there really, except I think this time around Google is really taking it seriously and laying down the necessary algorithm changes. Still, it's nice to see what SEO's have been doing reiterated for the benefit of the old and the new ones in the industry.

Have a good day!
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

This update regarding over optimization is very alarming update for those who doing spamming and don't have good stuff on their website but getting good ranking in search engine.

#2 Excessive Internal Linking. Wikipedia is a huge violator of this(e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitt_Romney). Yet, we're still being spammed by them in the SERPs.

The over-optimization algorithm was rolled out sometime last week and is now known as The Penguin: Google Names The Over Optimization Penalty The Penguin Update

We have the Panda and now, the Penguin. I wonder what algorithm changes will come in the future and in what animal namesake/form?
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

Quote Originally Posted by stevenheron View Post
    To me this doesn't cover anything new or controversial. Google has penalized sites for keyword stuffing and committing over-optimization since its inception.
    That's what I was thinking... what I've read on it seems to be similar to what they've always said.

Are there new points that I'm not giving enough attention to?

The biggest hit from this change at Google went to spammers. It went to people who were doing a lot of content spinning and using automated software.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    The first aim of Google is to minimize webmaster working or increase the popularity of PPC campaign..
    Says who? Google doesn't care about how much work a webmaster does, where are you getting your information?

Quote Originally Posted by williamluke01 View Post
    The first aim of Google is to minimize webmaster working or increase the popularity of PPC campaign..
    Think I'm getting the hang of "translating" posts, LOL.

I read it as:

The first aim of the Google is to minimize the effectiveness of webmasters' efforts to force them into PPC.

But hey, English is my second language so what do I know...

17. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by williamluke01 View Post
    I understand what your saying "conspiracy at Google".

However, I just don't think it's possible. Even if Google perfected an algorithm to list the best possible results in the SERPs. SEOs would be competing to do a better job implementing the best algorithm changes to their sites.

Google is simply trying to get the best sites with the best content that best matches the search query. Google wants to eliminate sites that are manipulating algorithms to cheat Google in the SERPs.

Great content, great infrastructure, great user experience, great value will equal the best long-term results.

19. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by andymisiu View Post
    I understand what your saying "conspiracy at Google".

However, I just don't think it's possible. Even if Google perfected an algorithm to list the best possible results in the SERPs. SEOs would be competing to do a better job implementing the best algorithm changes to their sites.

Google is simply trying to get the best sites with the best content that best matches the search query. Google wants to eliminate sites that are manipulating algorithms to cheat Google in the SERPs.

Great content, great infrastructure, great user experience, great value will equal the best long-term results.
    Correct - right until they start charging for inclusion. Oh wait...

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Think I'm getting the hang of "translating" posts, LOL.

I read it as:

The first aim of the Google is to minimize the effectiveness of webmasters' efforts to force them into PPC.

But hey, English is my second language so what do I know...

I wonder how much $ was spent on buying backlinks & backlink software in 2010 and 2011? I bet its a huge number and you know Google wants that revenue in their PPC, not in a sub-economy.

I do think they want to clean up their results pages, too... Because, the result of backlink software and paid backlink building is often search engine spam.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I think there was a lot more spent before 2010 on backlinks as I have seen some of those companies shutdown after they made loads of money.

Google is really making its move to do a major makeover! Penalizing for over optimization is a way of reminding online marketers to keep keywords in moderation and to provide quality pages to readers.

This Penguin updated caused many of my sites out of first 100 in the SERP. They are replace by crappy sites with no content at all. The problem is that whatever I do to bring it back it returned to me with more and more dropping.

Thanks andymisiu for posting this video. I'm a newbie here and it's definitely a great information for someone like me starting in internet marketing.

Joseph
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; July 18th, 2012 at 10:45 AM.

These videos from SEOMoz are always nice and easy to understand for everyone. This is such a great site.

One of my websites went down the SERP after penguin update because of the keyword density. I deleted some of them and I went back to my original position in the SERP. High keyword density is probably more penalized since the last update.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Dany87 View Post
    High keyword density is probably more penalized since the last update.
    Hi Dany87,

I think this happened to me way back when I still have a domain name. My old domain was in the ranking when I type in my keyword, by the way, there were only 3 keywords I use then, and then when I packed them in with I think 10 or 15 keywords/key phrases, they dropped from the Google search pages. I can't find them anymore.

Mind telling me what's the "appropriate" keyword/key phrase density?

Thanks,
    Joseph

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Joseph, did your copy read naturally? or did it read like you were trying to stuff a bunch of keywords into a few paragraphs to get a Google ranking?
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast