Wink How do you affiliate market?
    I've been researching affiliate marketing for months. In all the "how to" articles i've read they really only tell you how to affiliate market using 1 system:

1. Create a blog/website for a niche
    2. Write articles on that niche
    3. Get Traffic
    4. Post affiliate links in posts relevant to the specific niche.

I've already started on a niche blog and definately plan on trying out that formula but I cant help but feeling like i'm missing a HUGE piece of information. I subscribed to a few known affiliate marketers email lists and have been getting emails about e-books/products that teach how to affiliate market with craigslist, twitter, etc. I've also seen landing pages out there with information about a product and then a link to buy a product- without any blog or information on the niche. I already have 10 pages on my site and 12 blog posts and each post has taken me about 2 hours with research/writing. I'm not looking for a get rich scheme that doesnt require any work, I definately want to/and plan to put in work but I cant help but wonder about other strategies and other ways people are affiliate marketing. I dont want to miss out on other ways and limit myself to only niche blogs/product recommendations.

Any advice? Any online articles you could direct me too?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smadison View Post
    1. Create a blog/website for a niche
    2. Write articles on that niche
    3. Get Traffic
    4. Post affiliate links in posts relevant to the specific niche.
    Those ARE the fundamentals.

From there you learn SEO, Social Marketing, PPC, build relationships, and learn the nuances of affiliate marketing.

Once you have a grasp on these, then you can delve into more sophisticated/complex site building like importing merchant data feeds into your own database and displaying those products in a variety of different methods.

Master the fundamentals, first. Learn and grow...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

3. Thanks From:

how to affiliate market
    Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Those ARE the fundamentals.

From there you learn SEO, Social Marketing, PPC, build relationships, and learn the nuances of affiliate marketing.

Once you have a grasp on these, then you can delve into more sophisticated/complex site building like importing merchant data feeds into your own database and displaying those products in a variety of different methods.

Master the fundamentals, first. Learn and grow...
    I'm pretty confident that I understand the fundamentals (SEO, social marketing, PPC, email campaigns, building relationships, etc). I guess i'm just confused on how to utilize that knowledge with affiliate marketing. I only know of 1 way; creating a blog and using posts to recommend products with an affiliate link. I'm just curious of other ways. On all the websites that i've read i've only gained knowledge about the fundamentals, but nothing about utilization in different ways. Thats what i'm most curious about, that i'm limiting myself with only a blog when there are different ways out there.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    I'm pretty confident that I understand the fundamentals (SEO, social marketing, PPC, email campaigns, building relationships, etc).
    Awesome.

I guess i'm just confused on how to utilize that knowledge with affiliate marketing.
    Now I'm confused.

I only know of 1 way; creating a blog and using posts to recommend products with an affiliate link. I'm just curious of other ways. On all the websites that i've read i've only gained knowledge about the fundamentals, but nothing about utilization in different ways. Thats what i'm most curious about, that i'm limiting myself with only a blog when there are different ways out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post

Database driven sites: Price comparison, coupon, niche products. With and without search capabilities.

This what you're looking for?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I'm pretty confident that I understand the fundamentals (SEO, social marketing, PPC, email campaigns, building relationships, etc). I guess i'm just confused on how to utilize that knowledge with affiliate marketing. I only know of 1 way; creating a blog and using posts to recommend products with an affiliate link. I'm just curious of other ways. On all the websites that i've read i've only gained knowledge about the fundamentals, but nothing about utilization in different ways. Thats what i'm most curious about, that i'm limiting myself with only a blog when there are different ways out there.
    Building an email list is important, in addition to maintaining your blog. What ways do you market not only your site but also your offers?

Are you following any of the leading affiliates, in terms of their sites, Twitter, etc.? Getting involved in forums like the one here is also quite valuable. Affiliate Summit is a fantastic resource for all things affiliate related as well.
    Ashley K. Edwards
    SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment
    Interactive Marketing Manager
    Email: [email]Ashley.Edwards@SeaWorld.com[/email]
    Twitter: [URL="http://twitter.com/Social_Citizen"]@Social_Citizen[/URL]

smadison
    smadison, welcome to affiliate marketing and the forum. As someone who's been on both flips of the coin (affiliate manager) as well as an affiliate, and a researcher, and many other positions, What you mentioned are the basics, but there's alot more it takes a lot of education, even to this date, after 15 years in this industry i'm still learning about new developments.

To be honest I don't take this industry or use the term affiliate marketing, as many people don't understand the concept, or they think it's similar to a pyramid, etc (which it isn't of course) as affiliate marketing, internet marketing, seo marketing, web development, digital internet,programming internet retail, whatever you call it, it all is similar to a degree.

Remember being honest when it comes to building websites and content is the best thing to focus on, Focus more on your customers, readers, visitors. Here's a hint that I always consider, while other sites plaster annoying advertising ads all over the place, I make it an rule, if the Advertising ad forces itself to your visitors, popup, redirect script (must skip ad) to view content, then I leave the site and never re-visit.

Remember you want your users to re-return so keep banners very mild, and make sure your content, articles, products, most important information is easy to read and is what your users want.

You haven't said anything about the product, or products, you intend getting involved with.

There is no "one size fits all" approach as different products require their own angles.

Once you hit on a product establish who and where your market is then you will be in a better position to set a strategy and give them what they want.

Finally, do not buy any more "how to" courses there is a wealth of information in this forum.

Best of luck
    0 to $1m before I am 70, Ok maybe 71 !!! (April 2013)
    You Can Eat Our Noodles Without Gaining A Pound
    What is this life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread