Google Algo Change
    There was an update yesterday (04/24) that is supposed to affect 3% of search queries: Officially, Google is calling it the “webspam algorithm update”.

Good article here
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

2. Thanks From:
    kse

I love the statement by Cutts, "I think 'over-optimization' wasn’t the best description, because it blurred the distinction between white hat SEO and webspam. This change is targeted at webspam, not SEO, and we tried to make that fact more clear in the blog post,"

A lot of the SEO community had a collaborated cringe when the 'over-optimization' penalty was first hinted at.

This algorithm represents another step in our efforts to reduce webspam and promote high quality content.
    As it should. (Bolding by me.)
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vkonnect View Post
    Finally we are going to witness some positive change, as the over optimization made the content crappy. Repeated usage of keywords lowers the quality of the content and most of the time sentences were also not making sense at all! That was the thing Google should have done long ago, but i am happy that they finally did!
    It's not over-optimization they went after, it's the sites themselves. Was SERP spam, not over-saturation of keywords on pages themselves.

Many of these penalized sites are AFFILIATE websites. They were created with scripts where the site was nothing more than a giant sitemap submitted to the Google. Then when a visitor actually tried to get to the page, the visitor was automatically redirected to the merchant via an affiliate link.

Other, nonsensical sounding, pages were/are often just adsense pages.

But yes, it is possible that the Google got something right after all this time. We shall see...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

6. Thanks From:

Maybe it's my searches... or the datacenter I'm connected to... but I'm seeing more webspam in the past 10 days.

I'm submitting reports to google on a daily basis.

Hopfully it's just a datacenter lag.. if not, I don't even know how to compete anymore.

I'm finding it hit or miss. I think I'm seeing more spammy sites in more competitive areas, whereas I'm seeing better results in my little, less competitive, niches.
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

Do a search for "shop mulberry online"

12 spots (from 4 to 16) are sneaky redirects/webspam - they ALL redirect to a replica purse site.

Gaming google seems to be as easy as taking candy from a baby for some.

Honestly, I don't have the energy for this anymore.

Yep, they are still slipping through. Great example.

Wonder if those sites are affiliates of the final destination site or if their sites have been hacked? They are all different owners with different registration lengths and registrars.

But it does seem the offending final destination sites, like this one, seem to have registrants from the same country...

What amazes me is how easy it is for me to find these examples (I have more).. does Google actually perform ANY manual quality control..?

I'm honestly nearing the end of my rope here. I have spent 4 months rebuilding my site, when nothing but poor coding brought it down. I had a reputation as a solid content site, and now I can barely get ranked for my exact titles - I publish 4-5 original content pieces per day (up to 200 words each), yet other sites publish one sentence and get ranked higher.

I started in this business with optimism and energy, but will take some time in the next 2 weeks to re-assess my involvement in affiliate marketing. It might be time to scale back the efforts.

Every time g tries to squeeze off one way of manipulating their serps, that just means the other ways pop out in comparison.

I hear people say 'google's finally getting it right, blah, blah, blah,' after every one of these updates. But honestly, I think the serps were better 5, even 8 years ago.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Google employs over 20,000 folks who sole day job is to view the top 3 pages of SERP results for the most popular product and article keyword searches. The then can approve, boost, block, or mark as spam any SERP link they just viewed for that search term. This ranking is then fed back to the Google algorithium programmer for an auto bot adjustment targeting spammy no-value redirect type sites.

I launched a new satellite sales site May 1st and it already ranks on page obe at G Yahoo and Bing due to custoemr facing content and lot's of eyecandy on the all important add to car pages. Write pages for the customer and not the SE and you'll do just fine weathering the Google dog scratching and shaking off the fleas
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

14. Thanks From:

Given algorithm change is not only promote high quality content but also giving penalties to the website building non relevant spammy links from blog rolls, sitewide directory link etc..Tou can read seomoz recent blog post detailing topic with case study.

It's time to update this thread... on May 13th, I wrote the following:

12 spots (from 4 to 16) are sneaky redirects/webspam - they ALL redirect to a replica purse site.
    Here we are, more than 3 weeks later (and 4 weeks after I submitted a spam report), the exact same sneaky redirects still claim 9 spots out of the top 20.

Google is either broken, or playing games... there is just no way a team of PhDs can't figure this out..

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    Google is either broken, or playing games... there is just no way a team of PhDs can't figure this out..
    Maybe, just maybe, everyone will get so sick and tired of it and the Google will have to announce next month that all sites will be paid inclusion as the only way to combat abuse of it's search results...

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Used to kill it with paid inclusion. Maybe consumers will move to Bing/Yahoo and we can get back to business. Question is, how long does it take for Google to analyze the changes? What are their metrics, more adoption, less time on site due to better over all search results? Or increased advertiser spend!

It's time to update this thread... on May 13th, I wrote the following: Here we are, more than 3 weeks later (and 4 weeks after I submitted a spam report), the exact same sneaky redirects still claim 9 spots out of the top 20.

Can you elaborate further how you differentiate between valid and spam results? Maybe give me an example of a result that is listed in google on this search phrase that is using sneaky redirects.

Just curious. I wanted to compare results in google to that of DuckDuckGo. For many keyword phrases, I've seen duckduckgo produce more desirable results.

Their algo is much less complex and also imperfect, but its usually where I go to compare regular results versus personalized google results.
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

Appears the Google may have cleaned things up, for now. Had to go to page three to find one of those redirecting turds:

Seeing this as well in the SERPs:

I would think that the sites that were basically all redirecting to the same fake site were shut down not because of the Google's algos - but because the manufacturer was doing some brand enforcement and MADE the Google take them down...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mulberry-redirect.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	4802   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mulberry-dmca.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	4803  

SO what do you guys think the next update will in-tale? You know it will happen sooner then later

No idea what any one of them will entail. Could be a whole new critter. Could be an algo change. Could be a data refresh.

Could look into my company's list of online services and perhaps the Google will find yet another service/niche to get into and try to kill that business, too.

Who knows...

Panda 3.9 just went last night.

Haven't looked beyond that... Lately it seems like just "data refreshes".
    Matt Bidinger
    Online Community Engagement

Quote Originally Posted by I.M.O.G. View Post
    Panda 3.9 just went last night.
    Tad late to the party, Matt - 3.9 started rolling out nearly 48 hours ago...

We've been talking about it here:
    http://www.abestweb.com/forums/searc...ht-158197.html

I posted the Google tweet that evening - as I now follow them on twitter (god, I need to get out more!).

I might be paranoid, but...

For a couple of hours this afternoon, traffic was flying.. best results I've seen in months. And while late afternoon generally outperforms the rest of the day, an hour ago my site home page received a visit from Google Corporate It (Chicago). No referral, just a non-spider visit via Chrome.

Traffic is back down to previous levels.

Hard to say if there's any connection, or if this is just random.

I might be paranoid, but...

For a couple of hours this afternoon, traffic was flying.. best results I've seen in months. And while late afternoon generally outperforms the rest of the day, an hour ago my site home page received a visit from Google Corporate It (Chicago). No referral, just a non-spider visit via Chrome.

Traffic is back down to previous levels.

Hard to say if there's any connection, or if this is just random.
    Traffic was far more brisk than yesterday - haven't paid much attention to my stats today (do that in the evening hours).

Google Corporate It (Chicago)? Sure that's not GAN?

Hey, you might be right!!

It's been a miserable 6 months with GAN, but I still receive invites from time to time.

Thanks for the quick response, I probly need to put the stats away for awhile

29. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread