Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Create Your Affiliate Website Easily with Top Website Builders
    I have invited Julia Chan, Acquisition Marketing Manager at Yola.com to write an article to help newbies wanting to get online for the first time an overview of some of the tools available.

2. Thanks From:

Creating a website can seem like a daunting task, but with today’s tools and services, it’s actually something that is within your grasp and something you can get started on today. Instead of going the traditional route of paying a hefty fee for hiring a designer and developer, many small businesses and affiliates are choosing to go with an easy to use Website Builder.

These Website Builders include hosting in their packages, and many of them are intuitive to use and affordable. Even better than that is these builders put the control and power back into your hands to create and update your website quickly and easily. The user interface of each of these builders makes it possible to create your website without seeing one line of code. A few of these top website builders include Yola.com, Homestead and SquareSpace.

To make your website creation process easy, the first step is to prepare. Five tips to keep in mind before creating your website are:

1. Claim your domain name before someone else does. A memorable domain is invaluable to your business and can help SEO rankings. You can buy it from a website builder or from any domain company. You may also consider securing different extensions including .net, .biz, and .co so that you can protect your name.

2. Competitive research:
    • Researching your competitors' websites will give you a lot of insight into what others in your industry or topic area find to be important. This isn't about stealing content or copying someone else's ideas (which you should never do.) When you are looking at your competitor's websites ask yourself these questions:
    1. What do I find to be useful on this site?
    2. What type of information is being provided?
    3. What information is not being provided that I think should be?
    4. What do I do better than my competitor
    5. What can I do differently to my competitor, what will make my website unique?

3. “Websites I love” research:
    • Are there certain websites that you like and visit often? It can be extremely helpful to look closely at sites that you really like (even if they are not in your website's topic area) to get some ideas for your website. This research is about appreciating something about another website and possibly incorporating your own spin on the concept into your website.

4. Content:
    • Content before design - Sometimes when creating a website, it can be tempting to do your design first, as this is a fun part of the process. But, if you plan your content before choosing and tweaking your design, you will ensure your design evolves from your content, and that your design intensifies the information you are providing.
    Content is king - People come to the Internet looking for information on everything from where they will eat next, to home buying tips, to what hairstyle best suits a face shape. You have an area of expertise and your website is where you can show this. Tap into this and make it the basis of your website and you will be successful!
    • Defining your niche - What is your area of expertise and what type of information can you provide to your site visitors that will give them the answers they are looking for, and keep them coming back?

5. Navigation planning
    • Navigation is an extremely important piece of a website. Your site visitors need to be able to easily and intuitively navigate through the pages of your site. Make sure it’s easy for someone to find your information, contact page, etc.

Now that the preparation is done, you’re ready to create your website. Using Yola’s website builder as an example, I’ll demonstrate the ease of creating and publishing your site. There are number of key elements to start from such as selecting a style and layout. I’ll then cover how to add images, links, SEO elements and then publishing.

First, sign up and select a Style:

Select a Column layout:

Now that the foundation has been laid, it’s time to add the content. Yola has a drag and drop interface, so to add text, an image, a banner or link, you just drag the widget from the right-hand toolbar and drop it onto the location of the page you want it to be shown.

Adding an image to the page will look like the following:

Once the image is added, you can add a link or affiliate link to it by clicking on the image, click on ‘Choose A Link’:

If you have an internal link you would add it from the page or if you have an affiliate link, you can enter it in the ‘External link’ field below:

Once your content is in, you can add in your SEO meta-tags including the Heading, Title, Description, and Keywords within the page properties section for each page on your website. These fields will help increase the SEO ranking for your website.

When your content is ready and your website is ready, then it’s easy to publish. You simply click on the green publish button up top.

and your website is live!

Getting your website online shouldn’t be a blocker to getting your business up and running. Easy to use website builders like Yola.com, Homestead, and SquareSpace make it easier and faster for you to take your business online without any technical skills.

If you’d like to learn more about these type of website builders, you can find more information on each company here: Yola.com, Homestead.com, SquareSpace.com.

About Yola

Yola is changing the way businesses get online. Yola is fast becoming the leading choice globally to create and grow an online business presence by offering its easy-to-use, free website builder and innovative premium hosting and feature sets to its millions of customers worldwide. Privately-held Yola, backed by Reinet Investments, is the recipient of numerous industry accolades including Business Week's 50 Best Tech Start-ups, The Industry Standard 100, and Fast Company's Fast 50 Reader Favorites. The company is headquartered in San Francisco, CA. For additional information, please visit www.yola.com.
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; May 8th, 2012 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Updated links

Great post! Thank you! I particularly liked the parts about competitive research and content.

Have a good day!
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

Thank you, Cecille - I'm glad you found it helpful!

Wish I had this stuff 6 years ago when I started out! Good stuff for the newby, and even the old veteran may learn a thing or two.

Hi Julia,

Unfortunately I was unable to read the whole of your artice as the a lot of the text "ran off" the page but I get the jist of it and took a look at your site.

I must say the pricing is a positive being the same as I pay for just hosting but I do have a question regarding useability.

I am a non techie and have used, and really like, WP so what would you say are your plus points vis a vis WP. Also where does squarespace.com come into it, as I said above I was unable to read the text relating to your mention of this site.

Many Thanks
    0 to $1m before I am 70, Ok maybe 71 !!! (April 2013)
    You Can Eat Our Noodles Without Gaining A Pound
    What is this life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare.

Great to hear - I appreciate your comment, Joey!

Quote Originally Posted by daiarian View Post
    Hi Julia,

Unfortunately I was unable to read the whole of your artice as the a lot of the text "ran off" the page but I get the jist of it and took a look at your site.

I must say the pricing is a positive being the same as I pay for just hosting but I do have a question regarding useability.

I am a non techie and have used, and really like, WP so what would you say are your plus points vis a vis WP. Also where does squarespace.com come into it, as I said above I was unable to read the text relating to your mention of this site.

Many Thanks
    Hi daiarian,

One of our main differentiators from WordPress is our ease of use. While WP has a good blogging platform, creating new information pages can be quite challenging for non-developers.

Also, Yola has a drag and drop website builder, whereas WP does not and it can be quite hard to figure out how to add new services, create page layouts, and even add images.

Moreover, with our Mobile and Facebook integrations, a Yola website is by default mobile friendly and can be easily published to Facebook, which requires a bit more work and figuring out on WP.

Squarespace is another website similar to Yola, that offers do-it-yourself website building tools and services.

I hope this helps!

Best,

Julia

Julia Chan
    Marketing Manager
    Yola.com, Taking Business Online

10. Thanks From:

I've used Yola for a previous site. It was extremely useful for a novice to use, since they offer a WYSIWYG editor but alos allows you to toggle into the HTML if you are more advanced. The site also has easy to use title and meta tag description tools. Yola also allows you to incorporate Adsense and other Google tools like analytics and search.

12. Thanks From:

Excellent Article, well written & will serve new website builders well. Could of done with this sort of help when I first started out. Just goses to show that there is real help out there for people who need it!

Thanks again to the author...

14. Thanks From:

Great article, but wouldn't it be better to recommend a platform like WordPress, PopShops, GoldenCan, DataFeedr, Etc. to a newbie?

These platforms have a much larger community behind them and function much the same way right out of the box.

Nice tutorial,

However I must say in my experience I have never been impressed nor satisfied by site builders.

I tried many but I never got the customization level I get using CMS such as Joomla.

In fact they make me feel rather a stupid person.

Hi there. I wonder how can I put affiliate ads on my site through the website builders.
    Thanks!

Lightbulb Placing affiliate ads
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebird View Post
    Hi there. I wonder how can I put affiliate ads on my site through the website builders.
    Thanks!
    Hi Littlebird,

I was looking at the website builder that was recommended here and seems like a good option that is not pricey to use although I haven't tried a website builder like this. I generally use wordpress or another option available through the c-panel on my domain.

For good affiliate marketing programs, the affiliate ads generally give you the html code for the ad with your affiliate id in the html. This is how I place banner ads onto my website. I copy the html code and enter it within the html editor of my post or page and the ad works great from there.

Do you currently have a website setup or will you be getting started?

For good affiliate marketing programs, the affiliate ads generally give you the html code for the ad with your affiliate id in the html. This is how I place banner ads onto my website. I copy the html code and enter it within the html editor of my post or page and the ad works great from there.
    That's the standard model and any network has help systems to teach you how to get the code and add it to a page. One reason why bloggers make little money is because they never learned this skill and became affiliate marketers. Most make a few dollars with AdSense.

Thumbs up Recommendations For New Affiliates
    I agree with Chuck Hamrick's post; the vendor will provide an html code for you - just copy and paste it on your pages. If you need an html editor, I recommend "CoffeeCup".

FYI: If you're going to become an affiliate, make it worth your while. I recommend "two-tier" affiliate programs to join. These are programs where a customer is paying monthly on a purchase, and you earn a commission every time the customer makes that monthly payment, also known as lifetime commissions. I must mention that SiteSell's Affiliate Program would be a great place to start as a beginner!

You can also search a directory named LifetimeCommmissions to find a detailed list of two-tier affiliate programs to join.

"two-tier" affiliate programs and lifetime commissions are two different things!

Explanation - Lifetime Commissions
    Oops! Sorry Chuck - I've been mislead all this time. Could you please explain a little bit about lifetime commissions and put me on the right track?

"two-tier" affiliate programs: you get a percent of commission for anyone who you recruited.
    Lifetime Commissions: you receive commission for every subscription renewal whether it be monthly or yearly.
    Life Time Value: you receive a higher commission based on the average amount a customer spends with the company. Example hosting, customer pays $10/month and on average they stay with the company 2 years or 24 months. Merchant pays you a $100 LTV commission.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Chuck,
    I'll need to do a few changes on my site now. Appreciate it!

Yola.com seems to be a good option for building websites. Thanks for your article.

Yola.com was created by an affiliate.

using CMS like Joomla or wordpress are better that site builder.

well, this is really great artical, i just joined today and found this post , i feel so lucky.
    thank you.

I use Homestead and Wordpress for my personal affiliate sites. Homestead is pretty basic but it rarely goes down
    Peter Futchko, Affiliate Manager, Boost Software
    email: [email]pfutchko@boostsoftware.com[/email]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast