What would you have done differently?
    My question to you my friends is this....When you were getting started, hind site 20/20, what would you have done differently? I have a funny feeling your going to say keep interfacing with peers here on AB, and I couldn't agree with you more.. I would love to hear some feedback pertaining to the trials and tribulations you encountered starting out and how you overcame. I'm sure other new affiliate professionals would love to listen as well...

Nothing, you have to play around and try things and see what works and what do not work for you. Everyone is different. But to be honest I would have started to program in php right away and not asp classic.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Agree with KSE.

Would have picked up php sooner as well as database construction/implementation.

Still learning after 14 years...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

4. Thanks From:

Kse nailed it. Also still learning after a dozen years. Looking back I should have begun the PHP/MySQL learning curve a bit earlier.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Here are some thread from when I was starting to learn php. you may fine them usefull

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/progr...es-145643.html

http://www.abestweb.com/forums/progr...nt-145637.html

Good luck.......
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

7. Thanks From:

While I completely agree on learning a good technology that makes programming sites a bit easier. I feel that PHP is just a tool. You still need to have a solid foundation knowledge of how to do serval key things.

1.) Have a good idea thats better than what currently exists. Don't be just another ME TOO.
    2.) Understand how to attract, retain and convert traffic.
    3.) Learn from the mistakes and successes of others. While many affiliates hold their card close to them, many are more than willing to help as well. Chances are your idea is not new or unique and your issues are not isolated to you. Ask, ask, ask, and with any luck you can gather your answer from the various sources that respond.

Just my .02 which in todays economy may only be worth .01

9. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelFosselman View Post
    What resources are out there that you found invaluable to learn these critical scripting languages/ processes? I found w3schools.com to be an invaluable resource pertaining to the above. I need to shout out to the folks at Smashing Magazine as well. They have inspired me for years. This is not a plug. If you haven't checked out there site please take some time.
    w3schools is bookmarked, lol.

Have always been a trial and error person. Change this or that and see what happens. I can't stand most tutorials - they aren't written for the non-geek. Enjoy dismantling open source software to figure out how it's done. When I personally can't figure it out, I hit the search engines. Find what I'm looking for and bookmark it. Have HUNDREDS of well-organized folders in my bookmarks...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    ..... Enjoy dismantling open source software to figure out how it's done. When I personally can't figure it out, I hit the search engines. Find what I'm looking for and bookmark it. Have HUNDREDS of well-organized folders in my bookmarks...
    Me too!!! (except the well-organized part) Thats why I have php installed on my workstation!!!

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    What would you have done differently?
    I got started with affiliate programs in 2000 at the request from my boss. Launched several CJ/LS programs but let them run on autopilot. It wasn't until 2005 that I worked full time as an affiliate manager and found ABW. Wish I would have found it in 2000 as affiliate marketing became my passion five years later.

The main thing superCool would have done differently is to get started with a couple affiliate websites sooner. superCool messed around, dabbled and planned for way too long. Should have jumped right in. Learn by doing is the way to go.

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by superCool View Post
    The main thing superCool would have done differently is to get started with a couple affiliate websites sooner. superCool messed around, dabbled and planned for way too long. Should have jumped right in. Learn by doing is the way to go.
    This is very good advice
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Another thing I woulda (shoulda coulda) done earlier on is to hang out with a guy named "Witzer." Sharing ideas and developing personal relationships can be beneficial in this industry.

Meeting and getting to know colleagues - in person - whenever you have the opportunity - goes a long way toward easing the learning curve and in developing trust. It can also spark some good friendships.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

16. Thanks From:

Another thing would have been to bring 3rd party services in-house sooner, like analytics, live chat, newsletters, mailing lists, etc...

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread